Author Topic: Van Halen tickets for 2012 tour  (Read 17850 times)

Offline 80indy

• Ohio Firebirds
  • 67 Firebird 400 convert, 89 formula, 02 Fireb conv
Van Halen tickets for 2012 tour
« on: December 28, 2011, 01:53:50 PM »
I see Van Halen has anounced tickets for the 2012 tour will be available Jan 10th. No dates or locations have been posted as of yet. Anyone planning on going?

Of course the next question is...How long till they have another feud and call the whole thing off?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 04:19:13 PM by 80indy »
The BIRD is the word.

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
Re: Van Halen tickets for 2012 tour
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 04:23:38 PM »
One question, Is it David Lee ?
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline RRR76TA

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 04:28:57 PM »
No way   not without SAMMY

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 04:30:51 PM »
I like sammy on his own, never liked the junk they came up with, david lee made the band!

Offline RRR76TA

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 04:38:05 PM »
Just saw him and three doors down in columbus is sept  what a show

Offline 80indy

• Ohio Firebirds
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 05:36:53 PM »
One question, Is it David Lee ?

Diamond Dave is at the helm, although he looks a little funny with short hair.
The BIRD is the word.

Offline AussieTATA

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 06:03:37 PM »
Yeah heard that there is also a new album early next year followed by a world tour, hope they can come down under!!
The last time I saw them was with Gary Cherone.

Jeff
1979 10th Anniversary TATA
1978 Holden Sandman Van (sold)
2005 Holden Commodore SS
Trans am Oz is looking after my 78SE
Snap Point stole my Y88
Looking for a 70 GTO Judge 4Speed

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 08:25:48 PM »
So who's on bass?  The teenager again- Eddie's son?  I canceled our tickets when they started a reunion tour around 2008? when I found out a 16 year old was playing with VH.  Of course, after about 3 shows, the band imploded again anyway.  DLR was the showman for VH, but seriously Burd- junk?  VH never had a number 1 until Sammy joined.  Hagar has the voice, but David made the shows come alive.

Offline 78&89TA

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 08:50:01 PM »
I'm hoping VH headlines M3 in May ..... :)  I'll be there regardless but would love VH there. I seen them a few times and loved it no matter who the frontman was ..... well I'll pass on Gary Cherone ;)
Jim
1978 T/A
1989 GTA

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »
Never liked sammy, now keep in mind I saw sammy in 1984, i like sammy, but the mix never did anything for me, I was 7 rows back for the 1984 tour, sammy w/ the boys DON"T COME CLOSE. Roth was the sh*t! (those # ones were crap.)  ou812 give me a break, after eat 'em and smile came out.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 09:47:45 PM by Burd Turd »

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 09:59:26 PM »
Totally different style of Van Halen with Sammy. Both were great in their own right but I prefer the DLR era as well.  Gary Cherone? Oh PUHLEASE!
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 10:09:13 PM »
I loved the one hit Gary had with them.
sammy go make your tequila

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nL7kp2zzcs4
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 10:19:51 PM by Burd Turd »

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 11:45:12 PM »
I'd  need some tequila if I was going watch a teenager play onstage with VH  ;D

Offline rpguitarrepair

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 08:30:38 AM »
I'd like to comment from a musician's perspective: When you change a major ingredient in a recipe, it becomes a different dish. I'm a HUGE fan of what I would call both bands, because in my opinion they have to be viewed as separate. At any given time, they were arguably one of the best bands in the world.

As a guitarist, I am a long-time disciple of Eddie's. He is my favorite. As a credential, I've played "Eruption" to many a drunk in a packed bar on any given Friday night. Correctly  ;D My favorite DLR albums were the darker albums such as Fair Warning and Women and Children First, and those VH albums IMO have no equal. That said, 5150 was one of the most solid rock albums to come out in the 80s, and it still sounds good today. 

The difference: DLR is a scatter per Big-Band and jazz definition. His "singing" is laid out in meters using syllables as notes. Listen to "Hang 'Em High" as a reference.  This is what makes sometimes nonsensical lyrics sound so good. The intrinsic reason DLR fits so well with VH is because Eddie plays so late in the measure, or "deep in the pocket", that it forced DLR to sing directly off of what Alex played, which is essential for scatting. This also made them sound "heavier", because it drives the song along. This is why it's difficult for anyone to cover DLR's songs.  What was the point of "Big Bad Bill is Sweet William Now"? To illustrate that the guy thinks he's a scatting Vaudeville act, which he clearly is. The only VH song I can thing of Sammy did as a scatting type song was "Human Beings", and he even admits its crap, but that's because he can't scat. Does being a scatter make DLR better? Just depends on your taste. His style matches his arrogance, which is definitely part of his cool factor.

As an alternative, Sammy is a true singer in the classic rock/ 80s vein. He's a more open-aired and melodic singer. This gives more room for writing tunes that actually have hooks such as "Best of Both Worlds" and "Summer Nights", which is the reason they enjoyed better album sales when Sammy joined. Some people didn't like it because they felt VH "sold out", but the fact of the matter was that their songwriting just became more culturally relevant, and Eddie was able to explore keys with someone that actually had a singing voice. You can usually tell that there's a point to the song with Sammy's writing, whereas DLR's songs are ambiguous at best. Compare Sammy's solo work to DLR's and you'll get the picture, as DLR's solo work was extremely weak. Sammy can write and play by himself, whereas without Eddie and Alex, DLR has very little to offer.

All that said...

I saw VH with Sammy a couple of times. The first show was in 1989 when they were on top and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Check out the dual guitars on "One Way to Rock" on youtube for reference. I saw them again with Sammy maybe 4-5 years ago for the "Eddie Bail-Out" tour. I've never been so disappointed, but by this time Eddie had become a crack-head.

I saw VH with DLR just before the thing fell apart, maybe 2 years ago. DLR was brilliant, his delivery was excellent, and I got more than I had hoped for. He was clearly on his game. Eddie's playing was even pretty good. BUT, because Eddie is so childish, he didn't bring Michael Anthony along. That means I had endure his pubescent sloppy teenager playing as sloppy as he looked, complete with pants hanging off his backside. He destroyed every other song he played on. It looked like they'd picked up a kid at the local arcade and stuck him on stage. Not what I'd call a reunion, but glad that I finally go t to see DLR sing those old great songs.

Someone mentioned Cherone. I did get to see Extreme play at the Fox Theater in Atlanta for the "Three Sides" tour around 1991. They were awesome. Cherone is a great singer, bad fit for VH, but this was a douche move orchestrated by a band manager that was playing to Eddie's vindictiveness against Sammy. Cherone had nothing else to do, so why not.

Oh, and Sammy's tequila is GOOD  8)

Offline 80indy

• Ohio Firebirds
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 08:59:09 AM »
 BUT, because Eddie is so childish, he didn't bring Michael Anthony along. That means I had endure his pubescent sloppy teenager playing as sloppy as he looked, complete with pants hanging off his backside. He destroyed every other song he played on. It looked like they'd picked up a kid at the local arcade and stuck him on stage. Not what I'd call a reunion.

Oh, and Sammy's tequila is GOOD  8)
[/quote]

I agree they need to bring M.A. back to get it right.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 09:05:14 AM by 80indy »
The BIRD is the word.