Author Topic: TransAm_Stans 79 Daily Driver  (Read 5037 times)

Offline TransAm_Stan

TransAm_Stans 79 Daily Driver
« on: May 09, 2011, 09:11:09 PM »
Bought a 79 403 auto for a daily driver.  Since my 76 is becoming a longer project than I anticipated.  This isn't really a restoration but a "bringing back to drive-able" status.

This "journal" is mainly for me to keep track of what I have done as well as monies spent. Feel free to follow along but it will be boring compared to other projects.

I want to drive this car.  But before that I need to fix a few things just to get it safe. Brakes, tranny seal & an exhaust system are on the short list to be completed.

As always comments, criticisms and advice is appreciated.  Ya'all have more knowledge than me with TA's...

Here is what I have to start with.

A little rust here & there but nothing major that I have found.

The bad:
Dash cracked badly. 
Drivers caliper (front) sticking
Horn not working
Fan not working
Drivers seat cover needs replaced
Tranny leaks like a river.  I assume its a front seal.
Wrong air cleaner lid
Needs complete exhaust

I am sure there are more gremlins to be found & I will post here when they are found.

The good.

It does move...  LOL

Purchase price 5100 toads

More added as I accomplish something.

Stan
WV

76 White w blue int. 400 4sp. "Toastee"

76 white with blue/white interior. 400 4 sp.(ongoing project)

Offline dewcrazzy

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Bob
Re: TransAm_Stans 79 Daily Driver
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 09:17:59 PM »
looks like a great driver, nice color combo to boot.

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 09:28:18 PM »
Bought front brake parts today.

Rotors
Pads
Bearings
Seals
Hoses

Installed them today also.  Can't bleed the darn thing by myself.  I suppose in this case a wife would be a plus.  (one of the few times)  Have to wait 'till tomorrow for help.

I did not install the hoses.  Looks like a major PITA to get the hose off the steel line.  My luck I would roach the steel line to the master cyl..  Hope it does not bite me in the butt at a later date...

Called my local mechanic about the tranny seal.  couple hundred or so to replace that seal.  probably need a converter also cause he sez the seal more than likely wore a groove in the converter.  Converter 2-300 bux he says, depending on the converter I want.  I have no clue what I want...  LOL  suggestions?

Local muffler shop wants 450ish for a exhaust system.  Flowmaster 80 series Crossflow muffler in the stock position.  He also says that he is not sure that he can bend 2 1/2" pipe up & over the driveshaft.  Says 2 1/4" is no problem, but not sure about 2.5".  He wants to see it.  I will have to hunt up some tips (splitters) also.

Looking for a red dash thats not cracked.  Yeah I know so isn't everybody....    ;D
"Till I have more...

Stan
WV

213 toads including rubber lines (not used yet)

5313 toads total so far

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 09:30:05 PM »
looks like a great driver, nice color combo to boot.

Thanks Dewcrazzy.   My 76 has a blue/white interior.  I wanted a red interior for this one. 

Stan

Offline TxBandit

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 10:04:44 PM »
Very nice! It already looks like you're ahead of the game because ain't a whole lot wrong from what I see. That "bad" list you got ain't that bad.  :D
1980 S/E

James

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 05:32:17 PM »
Hi everyone.  Time for an update.

I need to vent!

Since I broke my wrist I took my 79 TA to my mechanic & let him Stop the tranny leak.  This is what he / I found...

Driveshaft from a 81 Firebird. (its wrote on the shaft)  Said shaft is 7/8" too long.  shaft drove output shaft into the pump & cracked some pieces parts inside.  the leak is not a seal.    Frick.  Double Frick

Also i found the drivers side door striker is not correct.  Not only will the striker come apart in my hand bud a 3" square piece of the body underneath the striker comes with it. Frick.  Tripple Frick

As soon as the car comes back from the mechanic I will post pics of the striker area.

I think my problem with the air cleaner lid isn't the lid its self after all.  I did not know that the 403 has an offset screw (bolt or stud) that is used.  Mine is straight.  Should be an easy fix. 

Anyway thanks for listening...

Stan

Offline HOMER

• Adv. Member
  • Brown Bandit lol
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 06:25:49 PM »
that car looks like the one that was for sale in altoona pa?
She's a Winner

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 06:43:40 PM »
that car looks like the one that was for sale in altoona pa?

Thats correct.

Stan

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 09:21:12 PM »
At least you'll know the transmission will be good from now on. I'll enjoy watching your progress. 79's are my favorite  :) .
I have a couple of 79's...bought a t-top about 6 months ago. I'm also getting it mechanically good so I can drive it around. Last week, I replaced the old rubber brake hoses, front and back, since they were probably the originals, and I just don't trust hoses that old. It wasn't too bad. I wire brushed the line nuts good first and sprayed with some PB Blaster, and used a good line wrench to get them loose. I also replaced the master cylinder and both rear wheel cylinders.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 09:27:40 PM by Grand73Am »
Steve F.

Offline 4speed76

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 10:18:21 PM »
Nice driver, bummer about the trans news, but all in all still a good deal.  I know that finding a red uncracked dash is going to be hard.
1976 T/A project
2009 Honda CRV
2001 Honda Civic

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 05:00:34 PM »
Its been awhile since I have posted.  My bad!

Anyways...

Rebuilt transmission.
Shortened drive shaft
True dual exhaust
new Cooper tires 145/60-15
battery cables
new pass. window motor

Quite a bit has been done since i last posted.  IE alot of $$ spent!  LOL

Here is  this weekends project.  Fixing the striker area. 

Should be a about a 12 beer fix...

Here is another tidbit...

455TAKID was in the area (WV).  We hung out for a couple evenings.  Super nice guy.  And knowledgeable as hell about our (my) Trans Am's...

In poking around my car we (he) found out that the 403 grew in displacement to a Olds 455!  I never ran the numbers.  I wondered why the shaker was sitting a tad to high.  Now I know.  Its a 455.

He also put a timing light to the 455.  Got it where he wanted it.   Ran /idled pretty good.   I replaced the clogged PCV valve (we didn't know it was clogged at the time) and it is idling high now.  No biggie I need to adjust the idle screw...

Before I found out that it was a 455 I put plugs in for a 403.  Should I replace them with the correct plugs for a 455?

any hoo here is some pics of the motor for you pic hoes.    ;D

Anybody know what thermostat housing I need to reroute the hose behind the alternator?  Mine exits to the front.   Not a good thing.   Maybe someone has been down this road before.  If all else fails I suppose I could cut it up & reweld it in the correct position.  Seems like alot of work though.

The short list of things to do.

Fix striker area
change oil & filter
change oil sending unit
Blower motor no workie
no vacuum under the dash

Long list...

I need a AC compressor!
Red Dash!

At least it is tagged, inspected & insured.  And it is road worthy for local use only!!   :D

I am outies...

Stan

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 05:08:02 PM »
thats how the 403 hose is routed.... the olds are all straight forward like that.....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 07:20:14 PM »
Actually the 403 water neck is more straight up than that, and when using the correct 403 hose, the hose will run more behind the alternator. Here's a pic of my original 403 water neck. It's the one in the front of the photo. The rear one came from Autozone and was not correct, not only in the angle of the neck, but the bend of the pipe, so I took it back and re-used my original. And the other photos showing how the hose routing looks. The hose tends to rub on the back of the alternator, so I have since wrapped the hose with another piece of rubber to prevent wear on the hose.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 07:32:10 PM by Grand73Am »
Steve F.

Offline Sir english firebird

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member. proud to be
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 06:16:23 AM »
Nice car, sorry to hear about your wrist ( OUCH ) , its a nice looking car, i'd be pleased.
Power is nothing without Control.

Steve, :-)
1979 Trans am.

( no point in adding what else i keep changing them ! )

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 11:19:37 PM »
Thanks Sir English Firebird!   In all actuality it is a 20 footer.   LOL

Today I repaired the striker area.  As usual it was a bigger job than anticipated.  Had to replace some of the inner structure as well as the outer sheet metal.

Here is a pic of the repair in "rough" condition.

Tomorrow if the weather holds out I will get the oil changed & at least the sending unit replaced.

Thanks for the info on the water necks.  I guess i will try a hose for a 403 & see what happens.   ;D

Stan