Author Topic: 1979 SE by Jupiterbandit  (Read 14540 times)

Offline JupiterBandit

1979 SE by Jupiterbandit
« on: September 01, 2014, 12:34:25 PM »
Okay guys I made the biggest mistake you can possibly make. I started off restoring a 77 SE automatic and it was going great until I needed a parts car. I went to go buy a parts car and the worst thing possible happened to me, that dang parts car turned out to be a 77 SE 4 speed. So then I was in a real pickle. What to do, what to do? I added insult to injury and decided to take on both cars at the same time. But, this isn't my biggest mistake. My biggest mistake is allowed someone to talk me into taking a 79 SE off his hands and now I've been fixing it up too. So here we go. Three SE's being done by a novice who has a fulltime career and a family who needs me. Yup, I got them out there scrubbing parts and stripping paint. lol

Here's where we start

Offline JupiterBandit

Re: 1979 SE by Jupiterbandit
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 12:43:25 PM »
Now that I got her to my house this is where I am at.

I've blocked the car to see how much work is there and it was very minimal. I will continue to sand the car down to the metal and then shoot it with epoxy and start filling my low spots.

As I wait my turn over at my father-in-law's shop I went ahead and started to restore the engine bay. I stripped it down, removed the grease and rust and POR 15'd it.

I pulled the A/C blower, wiper motor, brake booster and re did them.

I'll be adding new steering, body mounts (Poly) and new brakes and suspension.

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 01:41:08 PM »
Okay, so I got the car stripped and all the parts cleaned up and painted. It looks freaking awesome. I have to admit, this is the fun part. I got the brake booster installed, I replace the rotted gas and brake lines, I restored the brake master and it pops. I couldn't be happier. I now know what it feels like to put the car back together. The motor is getting put back together and repainted as we speak. I am hoping tomorrow is the big day of installing the motor, tranny and driveshaft. I feel like proud new father.  ;D

I'd post pics but it's a lot of work and it looks like I'm the only one who read this thread anyway. Ha

Offline Elz

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
I'd post pics but it's a lot of work and it looks like I'm the only one who read this thread anyway. Ha

I'm reading, sorry for not commenting. Looks great. People seem to be kind of scarce around here lately. But go ahead and post away some more pics!

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 04:43:43 PM »
Will do.

Right after I finish painting my block. I'm just in between coats right now

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 06:01:08 PM »
Things are definitely slow around here lately, but I'm checking in from time-to-time.....

Looking good.  Blaster is being put to good use apparently.....

Keep the momentum!
1978 Trans Am - Brown - Current Project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - Future Uncertain

Offline Dark T/A

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 06:20:31 PM »
Great work, Wow 3 cars..I can barely get my 01 and 79 together.
-Rick

Offline PonchoVia

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
I don't much see how this could be considered a mistake!!
But I sure could see my A.D.D. kicking in and jumping back and forth......SQUIRREL!
"We build excitement-PONTIAC"

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 03:07:15 PM »
I don't much see how this could be considered a mistake!!
But I sure could see my A.D.D. kicking in and jumping back and forth......SQUIRREL!

My A.D.D has been upgraded to A.D.H.D lol

I have been jumping back and forth and it is killing me

So I've decided to stay on just the 79 SE for now and get that one out of my garage so that I can work on my 77 SE auto and get that over to the paint shop and bring my 77 SE 4spd back from the body shop so that I can finish stripping and prepping the car for paint. Slowly but surely I will have these cars complete and I'll never restore a TA again lol

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 08:48:51 PM »
So I finally sat down to load some pics. Sorry if it's picture heavy. I was excited that the motor was coming out pretty nice.

Thanks for the people who responded. It's nice to be encouraged. Doing these cars are a daunting task.

I was trying to decide to pay hundreds for a reman booster or clean mine up. I went with clean mine up. All I can say is I like it. It looks great in person.

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 08:56:54 PM »
I installed it temporarily just to get an idea of how it would look. I like it so it's going to stay.

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 08:57:56 PM »
I'm putting in a new combination brake valve. I also replaced the rotted brake and fuel lines.

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 08:59:15 PM »
Here's a shot of the booster in the car and of my freshly painted oil pan.

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 09:03:05 PM »
Here's the 403 I am planting in the 79 SE

I thought it looked like a whore and I don't care for the Corporate Blue being in my Pontiac so I'm painting it Pontiac Blue. I like the contrast of the color better.

The engine was pretty clean, no sludge. It runs great and no smoke. Hard to kill a 403

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 09:05:37 PM »
I went further than I thought I would on this motor. I wanted to just paint bomb it but I decided to put more love into it than that. It took me a lot longer but I am happy with the results