Author Topic: Are you a "Do it yourself" type of guy or "Pay a shop" to do it??  (Read 10993 times)

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
Re: Are you a "Do it yourself" type of guy or "Pay a shop" to do it??
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 09:29:12 AM »
No body work, but I'll tackle anything else.
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline Tinman5

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 09:49:31 AM »
I have to admit, I use to be very hands on and I'm certainly not afraid to get my hands dirty but always knew my limits.  I've never done any major body work nor welding and I've never torn into a transmission, manual or automatic.

That said, I've done just about everything else.  But I find given my work schedule, my limited available time, and the fact I do have more disposable income now, it's easier to have someone else do any major work.  The challenge is finding someone I trust to do it right.

Tinman5

"If you don't make dust, you eat dust."

1939 Silver Streak (street rod)
1973 Trans Am
1974 Grand Am
1976 Trans Am (50th Anniversary, 400ci/350 auto)
1979 Trans Am (10th Anniversary, 400ci/four speed)

Offline WarbirdTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 10:51:50 AM »
I use to be more of a do-it-myself guy, but lately, I get tired of skinning my hands and arms, and breaking something next to what I am doing, so now, I am a 50/50 guy.
But NO ONE but me or Lisa washes/waxes my cars.

George  8)

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 11:00:21 AM »
I have done everything myself on my car except the wheels, I left those to Brett since he was better set up to tackle the task.
I have done all of the sanding and body work on my car, but I will leave the painting up to a friend of mine.  I did however paint all the stuff under the hood, firewall, fender wheels etc.  I even installed all my own exhaust system, and I will do the interior from A to Z complete.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline stonewall61

• Brad
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 11:01:04 AM »
Theres absolutely nothing wrong with asking someone or reading a manual....... the best example in history is Henry Ford......  He didnt know everything about everything, but given time, could answer any question anyone had about whatever........ his secret? Know the RIGHT people and the RIGHT question to ask, with those two things, theres nothing you cant do..... also...... i'm a firm believer of " what one man can do, another can do"

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 11:03:12 AM »
Know the RIGHT people and the RIGHT question to ask, with those two things, theres nothing you cant do
I agree.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2007, 11:17:31 AM »
Well I paid, and paid, and paid some more for the first one as I didn't feel comfortable hacking up a Y88 and in retrospect I probably would have been better off doing it myself in regards to the panel work as the first shop was a total...(you fill in the blank). I did get the engine running (with the help of a friend) along with all the electrical and interior myself though..

This time around on the 80 bird I'm going to learn how to weld so I can do the minimal rust repair myself. Even kicking around the idea of painting it myself if my parents get the new garage built this spring/summer.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Solar78

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 12:09:42 PM »
Wouldn't even attempt to do body work myself on the TA... would look like a bad plaster experiment when I got done!
Learning as I go for the most part... mechanical I can figure out most of the time.. but body and paint... NO CHANCE!

"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 02:34:42 PM »
Well I just wanted to see who get there hands dirty :D

Personnally , I will tackle and do everything myself A through Z, paint, suspension works, brakes, engines swap, tranny..... if it broken i'll repair it, if it dirty i'll clean it, if it is missing i'll find it.

For me its cost effective, I like to see the step from old to new again, upgrade, I like to learn too, I think its tha main reason I always have a "project" to work on.

I don't hide that one days i'll probably be sending a car for resto so I can only have to wax it on sundays.  :P

I'm the same as you. I like to do everything myself. Mainly I like to be able to say I did it. On a minor note I've been burned too many times by other's "work" or at least their word. I never really got into body work before. When I was doing this type of work for a living I depended on my uncle to cover that area. But this time around I'm going to try it myself. On the down side it's not the skinned knuckes that bother me, it's my aging joints. lol

So what's your favorite area? I like doing electrical work, interiors and building engines best.
Larry

Offline lee01

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 02:49:24 PM »
So what's your favorite area? I like doing electrical work, interiors and building engines best.

Almost like you; I love underhood details/engines, just like Foose said, the engine compartment is like a Jewel case, you open it only to find a gem inside.
Also I love interior work! Stock or modified! Hey its your work area when your ridding, better make it good and functional.... ;)
Current project:
90 Mustang GT 5.0
10 STI Sportech
Last T/A's
1979 x 4

Offline WarbirdTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2007, 04:49:35 PM »
I love doing the test drive, to see that everything works. ;D ;)

George  8)

Offline O'Neall

• T-tops? We don't need no stinkin' T-tops!
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2007, 05:30:06 PM »
When it comes to working on cars I make a hell of an opera singer!!!!!  ;D

Seriously, I love cars and I love learning how stuff on them works, but when it comes to turning the actual wrenches I am completely inept! :-[  What should take an hour for the average guy to do takes me an entire afternoon, bloodied knuckles, several trips to the auto parts store, a multitude of cuss words, at least one degrading trip to the neighbor's to borrow some tool I don't have or have lost, and a feeling of complete incompetence by the time I acutally finish!!!  So for me the sense of accomplishment just gets pile-driven into the ground and I just don't enjoy it!

So, generally I'll hire somebody who actually knows what they're doing to do the work... sometimes I'll hang out at the shop and watch if they'll let me so I can learn/understand how it's done... but not so I can do it myself next time, just out of intellectual curiosity.  Like I said... I'm all thumbs!!!!!! :-[  But hey, a man's gotta know his limitations.
Jon O'Neall
1977 Y81 Trans Am
W72-400/Auto (1 of 549)
"Trans Am!  What's your pleasure?"

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2007, 06:44:07 PM »
But hey, a man's gotta know his limitations.

Surprisingly, that doesn't stop a lot of people.  I can't tell you how many botched jobs I've seen.  In fact, in the home remodel/repair area, the worst thing that's happened in the past 25 years is "This Old House" and "Hometime" and shows like that.  They encourage people to undertake projects they don't understand.  The shows give a good tutorial on how to do stuff correctly but the viewers don't catch the subtleties and munge on anyway.  The majority of money I've spent on the houses we own is to straighten out "projects" undertaken by former owners.

The downside of knowing how to do things correctly yourself is that once you know, it's hard to find somebody else who (a) knows what you know or more and (b) cares about your project the way you do.  I call that the "curse of competency". :-\ :-\

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2007, 08:13:29 PM »
I agree with you Rick.  Someone once told me "Don't try to beat a man as his own job".  I believe that and you can certainly look at the work that Jason does and prove the point.  People have different aptitudes for different things, case in point, the CIA tests employees for aptitude with languages.  If you got it, they send you to language school.  Not everyone has it.

However, mechanics knowledgeable about second generation firebirds are becoming fewer and fewer.  For example, when I was discussing changing my heater core with a mechanic friend, he pointed to the A/C box and said I need to pull the A/C out.  I think that's what he does when he changes them.  We discussed it for a few minutes and it become obvious to me that I knew a whole lot more about these cars than he did.  And, I'm not really criticizing him because his shop works on all makes and models of cars.  It's impossible to keep up with all of them.

For that reason, I like to do most of the work on my cars.  Brakes are one thing I'll have a shop do.  But, it depends on my situation.  There are times when I can make a whole bundle of money rather than work on my car.  I outsource when I have that situation.  But, I think hard about it and if it's something that can wait, I'll wait and do it myself.

Forums like this are going a long way to help "hackers" from hacking.  They can ask questions and usually there's someone who knows the answer and can guide them down the right path.

Offline pointman

• Ohio Firebirds Member
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2007, 08:26:32 PM »
I'm a 50/50 guy, autobody class was just a few years ago! lol! I don't have the equipment for major mechanical work, parts off-parts on is no problem, I can do mine own interior work, dash, guages, cleaning, spot paint, touch-up, washing & waxing. I do love the satifaction of doing as much as I can by myself.
Gerrit VK

78 Gold SE Y88 400 auto
79 Black 403 auto
86 Fiero SE V6
07 H3 Hummer
04 GMC Safari