Author Topic: My 1978 Firebird Formula Restoration Project/Forum Greeting  (Read 12097 times)

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
First of all I would like to say hello and thanks to all the forum members who took the time to view my first post on this very intricate and helpful forum. Since I am new to the Hitman's TransAm Forum I would like to take the time to introduce myself to all those reading this post; my name is Kevin, and I am from Memphis Tennessee. I am sixteen years old and received my 1978 Firebird Formula a few weeks ago from my father after a month of looking at muscle cars in our region. The first car we looked at was a 1978 Camaro, but we decided against it, but after a while, our search concluded with the discovery of this 1978 Firebird Formula that we found in Jacksonville Arkansas.

A week or so after getting the car I began work on the car by removing the right side carpeting and sound deadener, which was soaked with liquid, so I decided to toss out the carpeting and the deadener deciding that it was best to purchase new carpeting and sound insulation from an online dealer. In addition to removing the carpeting, I also removed the door panels which were far too gone to be restored. I held on to the old door panels, but I plan on purchasing new ones. I have also removed the sill panels/scuff plates from the car after deciding to purchase new ones. So after I have done all this work I have decided that I need the following items to complete my restoration project, and since I am paying for all the parts myself with no help I am searching for the best deals around to restore my classic with the least hassle.
Since I began my search for reputable online dealers, I have come across several that appear to fit the bill nicely.
1. Year One
2. The Paddock
3. Classic Industries
4. National Parts Depot
5. Phoenix Graphics
6. Stock Interiors (NOTE*)

Since performing the initial work on the car I have torn apart every part of these online dealers like you wouldn't believe. I have seen every page of every site that I have listed here with the closest attention to detail, therefore for most of my parts I have decided to go with The Paddock. After calculating the cost for my new interior parts, I have discovered that The Paddock offers the best deal for the Door Panel, Carpet and Seat Cover Combination at a price of $519 for the combination. For the interior color I have decided upon camel. This color would be the color of the seat covers and door panels, but I am still trying to decide if I should get a camel carpet or a black carpet (please give me your personal opinion).
This is the interior kit I am looking at: http://www.paddockparts.com/Paddock/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=FIK34CL&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D10%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D%2CFirebird&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D143%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CFirebird%20Interior&2=product%5Ffamily%2Easp%2Cfamily%5Fid%3D7059%26Tree%3D1%2C70%2D81%20Firebird%20Upholstery%20Kits&HSLB=False&mscssid=1158A17CD7E24B7E8D5B8DE4D6B48EB7
While I am fairly certain of the carpeting, door panels and seat covers I wish to purchase, I am undecided on the interior sound dampener to get. I have browsed several different choices which include the following: The stock Sound Dampeners offered by The Paddock, Dyna Plate, Dyna Liner, and Dyna Mat. Please give me your opinion on the best choice. I do not necessarily plan on keeping the car completely stock which is why I have listed dynaliner here, so don't hesitate to choose any of the dyna products as your preference.
Another issue that I need to address is the dash. Like most old cars, my dash is cracked on the top, and the problem is not a cheap one to address as one would expect. I have found that this company offers dash pad replacements that will be dyed to your preference for $12 more. The company is Dash Tops and here is the link http://www.dashtops.com/dashboard/buydash.cfm/5527
I have seen another dash replacement from one of the other online dealers for $400, so I thought that this company would be the best choice.

Another issue I have with my car is the heating/cooling situation. Problem number one is the air conditioning, and the problem is simple, it doesn't work :D .  I will take the car to a reputable AC shop in town for that problem, so that issue will be taken care of soon enough... The second problem is that the power windows do not function as they should; however I have recently purchased the Haynes Repair Manual for my car which contains a Schematic for my power window setup, so I will try my best at wiring the system myself.

If you have read this far into my misdirected teenage rambling, then I really appreciate your help and time.

At the top of this post, I placed a note by the Stock Interiors Company on my list.. The reason for this note is because I have read several reviews on other forums that many customers of this company have received bad products that have not matched their car's dimensions as they thought they would. Please report your findings on this company on this thread; though I plan on going with The Paddock for all my interior needs.

As for my seat foam, I also plan on using The Paddock, who offers a pair of economy seats for $249 Link : http://www.paddockparts.com/Paddock/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=AC125&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D10%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D%2CFirebird&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D143%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CFirebird%20Interior&2=product%5Ffamily%2Easp%2Cfamily%5Fid%3D7108%26Tree%3D1%2CFirebird%20Economy%20Seat%20Buns&HSLB=False&mscssid=1158A17CD7E24B7E8D5B8DE4D6B48EB7
Please give me advice on another site whose product may be cheaper and or better and whose product will match factory specs.

Though my steering wheel is stock and in somewhat decent shape, I have decided to replace it with a Grant steering wheel that will give the car a more classic look. Here's the link http://www.paddockparts.com/Paddock/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=9673196P&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D10%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D%2CFirebird&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D285%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CFirebird%20Steering&2=product%5Ffamily%2Easp%2Cfamily%5Fid%3D7937%26Tree%3D1%2C64%2D74%20Pontiac%20Walnut%20Finish%20Custom%20Steering%20Wheel&HSLB=False&mscssid=1158A17CD7E24B7E8D5B8DE4D6B48EB7

Along with the interior parts, I would also like to order new trunk mats which I have found on the Paddock. This is what I am thinking of ordering: http://www.paddockparts.com/Paddock/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=10685&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D10%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D%2CFirebird&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D143%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CFirebird%20Interior&2=product%5Ffamily%2Easp%2Cfamily%5Fid%3D7275%26Tree%3D1%2C67%2D81%20Firebird%20Trunk%20Mats&HSLB=False&mscssid=1158A17CD7E24B7E8D5B8DE4D6B48EB7
also I plan to order a new jack storage bag and spare tire cover to match the trunk mat http://www.paddockparts.com/Paddock/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=REM648&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D10%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D%2CFirebird&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D143%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CFirebird%20Interior&2=product%5Ffamily%2Easp%2Cfamily%5Fid%3D2983%26Tree%3D1%2CJac%20Pac%20Storage%20Bag&HSLB=False&mscssid=1158A17CD7E24B7E8D5B8DE4D6B48EB7 and http://www.paddockparts.com/Paddock/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=CA168&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D10%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D%2CFirebird&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D143%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CFirebird%20Interior&2=product%5Ffamily%2Easp%2Cfamily%5Fid%3D2984%26Tree%3D1%2C67%2D81%20F%2DBody%20Spare%20Tire%20Cover&HSLB=False&mscssid=1158A17CD7E24B7E8D5B8DE4D6B48EB7

On a more serious note, I would like everyone's opinion on floor pan replacement. I have investigated my floor pans, and though there is no serious rust, there are small pen sized holes in the floor pan where rust has corroded it, which has convinced me to purchase new floor pans. Do these small holes warrant floor pan replacement? I plan on replacing them, because my logic is that if I am going to replace the interior, then I should replace the floor pans so that my investment is not sabotaged by corroding floor pans...

Exterior: I plan on painting the car all black and purchasing the two tone light gold/dark gold decal kit from Phoenix Graphics to have applied to my car. Link: http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/transam/7678df.htm

Audio: I have found a fairly cheaply priced Jensen which you can find here http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=18325

I have some pictures of my car if anyone would like to see them, so here they
 are...

Thanks to all who took their precious time to review my rather ridiculous lengthy post, and all of your opinions and ideas for my project are appreciated and will be taken into consideration. Thank you all so much from a 16 year old in Memphis, Tn.
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: My 1978 Firebird Formula Restoration Project/Forum Greeting
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 05:41:30 PM »
Nice looking car, Kevin!  Welcome to 78TA.com!

I'd repair the known problems with the floors before I sank any money into the interior.  As you say, there's no point in having your investment sabotaged by stuff like that.  Without seeing pictures of the rust I can't say as to whether or not complete floorboard replacement is needed -- you may be able to patch them just as easily if it's not that bad.  Seeing as how you don't have a T-top car it may not have been subject to the kind of abuse you get from leaking T-tops.  However, it DOES concern me a bit when you say the carpet and sound deadner was wet.  That may be due to either a rust hole in the cowl, or a leaking heater core, or (most likely) a stopped-up drainage passage in the rocker panels.  I'd find and address the source of that wetness before I attempted any kind of repairs or replacement of carpet and such.

Your power window problems are typical of gen 2 F-bodies.  Look in our technical section here on this forum for a thorough discussion of the causes and cures to that major faux-pas of a design by GM.

BTW -- what's the story on the hood pins?  It looks like the external pieces are there but I don't see the pins in the radiator support -- or am I just missing them? ??? ???

Not to rain on your stereo selection, but that unit you reference looks to only fit if you cut the dash out.  It's your car, and you may do with it as you please, but you need to know that gen 2 Firebird dashes are the hardest parts to find.  Despite the fact that they've been listed in the parts catalogs as avialable for years, I personally have only known/heard of 2 people who have gotten them and that's only been in the past 6 months.  The bottom line is that if you cut your dash to fit that stereo,  you'll likely have to live with that for a long, long time.  I'd suggest that you ditch the CD player idea altogether and find a setup that allows for external inputs (iPod or MP3 player) and forget juggling all those discs.  It will be cheaper and easier to install and use in the long run, but that's just my $0.02. ;)

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 06:18:12 PM »
Thanks for the compliments and advice. I actually own an Ipod Classic 160 Gig that I use to play my music through the aux input in other's cars the reason I pointed out this stereo, is that it has an ipod interface built in where you can navigate your ipod through the touch screen interface. I will need to measure my car's dash to see about the fit. In my post I also placed a link to a new dash for $130 Would you please take a look at that site here http://www.dashtops.com/dashboard/buydash.cfm/5527 and tell me what you think of this dash company and whether it is a good deal? I appreciate your comments and advice, but I have to ask you your opinion on the amount of sound deadener and what brand I should go with. I have looked into dynaliner, but I would like your ideas on what and how much I should order. Thanks for your help and advice,
                                                                                                    Kevin Martin
Contacts: AIM-Kevinator330  Email: Anastasiofan92@Gmail.com

Offline stonewall61

• Brad
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 07:48:35 PM »
hey Kevin........ sorry, i have no opinions for your questions other than definately fix the floors first, i assume thats why the carpet and sound material was wet to begin with, but the car looks very cool.... not such a bad ride for a 16 year old!....... and it was my first ride too!  8)

Offline hdebo

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 08:11:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum Kevin.
It looks like you got a nice project there . One of the first things I would do is to order the cd's from Brett for your year car if you plan on doing the work yourself. This will save you alot of headaches.
Bretts store here at 78ta.com is a great place for parts as I try to use him first as he is very helpful if you have any questions.
Also another very good place for parts is Ames Performance as the prices are way better than a few you have on your list.

Good luck and glad to have you aboard.
Harry
Harry

"A Camaro looks like it can kick your a**,  A Trans Am looks like it's coming over to do it"

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 09:54:44 PM »
Nice looking car.  Good luck with the project.  There are some good deals on some of the parts you have listed.  That interior kit one HECK of a price.  I mean, that is only about $39 over cost.  The only question is, are the Un-assembled door panels in the deal.  I would ask them that.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 10:06:02 PM »
Some of the guys in the chat have mentioned talking to you about kits to throw together for me. We ought to talk at sometime about that Hitman, as you seem to run a really personal operation here, which being a southerner I respect  :D .

Offline ta collector

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 10:17:22 PM »
nice chatting with you tonight and looks like you have got a nice project there, if have any problems or questions just ask,we will be happy to help
1967 firebird
1976 Trans Am 50th Anniversary
1979 TATA
1991 Trans Am GTA
2002 Trans Am Collector Edition #1358
2008 G8 GT
1972 Chevy C/10

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 01:16:19 AM »
Welcome to 78TA Kevin ...that's a really good looking Formula you're starting off with  ;D

You should definitely check out Hitman's parts here as his prices are VERY competitive on some of the stuff you're looking to buy
http://www.78ta.com/store/home.php?cat=108

As for sound deadener choices, you might also check into www.fatmat.com
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 11:59:52 AM »
As for your stereo, I would buy the map pocket insert, whish lets you install an aftermarket radio and not cut the dash.
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 12:04:21 PM »
I think I may just go with custom autosound.

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 12:38:01 PM »
As for your stereo, I would buy the map pocket insert, whish lets you install an aftermarket radio and not cut the dash.

...OR make your own. It's not that difficult to do with some plastic, X-acto knife, and Plastruct Glue. Ask me how I know ;)

Both the radio delete plate and the radio face plate are made out of Plastruct Plastic - available at most hobby stores.

As for sound deadener...you might want to check JC Whitney of all places. I bought a roll (and have enough to do another car) from them for about $80. Works pretty good too. Get the spray adhesive along with the foil tape to seal any joints.

For the power windows, as Rick eluded to, look at this post regarding revamping the wiring using (4) relays (which are available at RadioShack)

http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=8769.0

As for your carpet color...it'll look strange, ie. like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, if you mix/match with the camel tan. I'd recommend sticking with one color. As mentioned, its your car so feel free to ignore me.

In regards to your floor pans...if the holes are still small you may be able to patch just the affected area using some flat steel. Got any spare computer cases floating around from the mid 90's?? Cheap steel - its why I have about 6 in storage right now ;)

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 03:21:54 PM »
Thanks for the link to the power window diagram, that should help me a lot. I plan on printing it out and taking it to radio shack for what I need. Thanks a lot Lee 01, that's good stuff you got there.  :o

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 03:42:10 PM »
Welcome to 78ta Kevin, glad to have you aboard.  Most everyone has made good comments on your questions so I'll just welcome you to the site and look forward to talking with you and helping you through your project.  Great lookin car and sounds like you have some good plans for her.  Oh, by the way, I will make one comment, that LCD panel will not fit, or open up, as it will hit the flared dash.  the only way you can get something like that to work is the LCD has to open downward.  And, being old school, I'd agree with the fella's above, don't cut your dash, put the stereo in the map pocket and put a delete plate in the original position.  Trust me, as you get older, you'll probably not be happy that you cut the dash.  But, it's your car and no one is going to take you to task if you do, enjoy the car and have fun restoring it to YOUR specifications :)  Again, welcome.
Rich

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
 Hey guys I have a mechanical question for you that perhaps you can help me fix, or have fixed. After driving the car, and pulling into the sloped driveway, I put it into park, and it will roll backwards a few feet then stop for good. I have to apply the emergency break for the car not to do this, but I find it troublesome nonetheless. Also, it seems that the shifter's display doesn't quiet match what gear you're in. For instance, from park to drive my shifter lands between the two for drive. I don't know if this is typical, but I would like to know either way. Thanks a lot,
                                                                                        Kevin Martin
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 12:06:04 PM by Anastasiofan92 »