Author Topic: $1/gallon increase today!  (Read 19191 times)

Offline w72transamowner

• Tidewater Trans Am Club (www.ttac.net)
Re: $1/gallon increase today!
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2008, 08:01:24 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong but wasnt it the speculators that got all this started six months ago... besides I just heard on the radio from a guy in the KNOW that gas prices should be back to what they were 2/3 days ago by next week. . Again price rise due to the MEDIA and SPECULATORS.. Even the speaker on the radio said " People need to get a grip" .
  This shows how much the media and speculators influence todays market. All this was caused by some "yahoo" making a comment that we COULD see prices rise to $5 because of this strom.... and the public goes frantic... bringing mear speculation to current event.

All those refineries having to shut down in the gulf is what caused the sudden price increase.  My beef is that (1) the fuel in the station tanks is already paid for and (2) the stations are raising prices during the daytime instead of at close of or just before opening of business.

How would you like it if you were about to grab a 3 Lbs can of Fogers at your local grocery store and a clerk can running up behind you and grabbed the can so they could mark the price up before you went and paid for it?  You would be pretty pissed and would probably throw the can at him/her.  Well, what's the difference with gas stations hiking their prices in the middle of the day?
1978 Trans Am WS6/W72, Auto (purchased Sep 00)

http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/carfanatic1

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2008, 08:20:31 PM »
Exactly - the tanker truck that filled the tank in the ground had a price associated with that cargo.  It's probably a weekly or monthly delivery depending on volume sold at the station.

If the price on the sign goes up, who makes the profit on that?  It's got to be the individual gas stations, right?  They've already paid for the delivery.

They lament that they don't make any profit - I don't buy that.  The more they jack up the prices on individual sales on that delivery, the more they make in the store.  Sure, there's corporate stores that have the station, tanker and loading facility all connected but some just buy a truckload at the going rate.  Those are the ones who make a killing in events such as these.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasnt it the speculators that got all this started six months ago... besides I just heard on the radio from a guy in the KNOW that gas prices should be back to what they were 2/3 days ago by next week. . Again price rise due to the MEDIA and SPECULATORS.. Even the speaker on the radio said " People need to get a grip" .
  This shows how much the media and speculators influence todays market. All this was caused by some "yahoo" making a comment that we COULD see prices rise to $5 because of this strom.... and the public goes frantic... bringing mear speculation to current event.

All those refineries having to shut down in the gulf is what caused the sudden price increase.  My beef is that (1) the fuel in the station tanks is already paid for and (2) the stations are raising prices during the daytime instead of at close of or just before opening of business.

How would you like it if you were about to grab a 3 Lbs can of Fogers at your local grocery store and a clerk can running up behind you and grabbed the can so they could mark the price up before you went and paid for it?  You would be pretty pissed and would probably throw the can at him/her.  Well, what's the difference with gas stations hiking their prices in the middle of the day?
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2008, 11:30:42 PM »
True...I saw a guy not only filling his car the other night but also filling 6 gas cans he had in the cargo area of his SUV  ::) ::)
(probably took them home and buried them  :D :D )

Was he in a Bring It Back t-shirt and driving away in a Chevy Avalanche?

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2008, 12:41:13 AM »
Nah, I wouldn't bury them -- I have a better place to stash them! :D :D ;)

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2008, 05:02:45 AM »
Prices up another .30 within the day today...$4.29 currently  ::)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2008, 09:13:55 AM »
I just read an article this morning about this...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aKvHPFyFpUNg&refer=worldwide

All the while, oil dropping to $100 a barrel.  Ya, I don't get it I don't car how they spin it because the spin no longer makes logical sense.  We're being taken for a ride and I'd like to know who's driving.
Rich

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2008, 11:03:05 AM »

All the while, oil dropping to $100 a barrel.  Ya, I don't get it I don't car how they spin it because the spin no longer makes logical sense.  We're being taken for a ride and I'd like to know who's driving.

Here is your answer. a very simple formula.

+

+

=

Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2008, 07:32:28 PM »
Virgil, you have such a way with words!
Rich

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2008, 07:43:42 PM »
LOL, Rich... I couldnt resist... It sometimes gets me into trouble.... sometimes a LOT OF TROUBLE
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline w72transamowner

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2008, 08:20:01 PM »
Someone was complaining to me today because they watched one of our local gas stations raise their prices four times yesterday.

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2008, 08:28:09 PM »
I cant see how they can get away with that.... that is rediculous... the energy market is sooooo out of control.... maybe we all just need to remind the "government" what happened in 1773 in Boston... wish it could be that easy... but unfortunately we all would be arested for terrorism now...
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline w72transamowner

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2008, 08:38:23 PM »
I cant see how they can get away with that.... that is rediculous... the energy market is sooooo out of control.... maybe we all just need to remind the "government" what happened in 1773 in Boston... wish it could be that easy... but unfortunately we all would be arested for terrorism now...

You're forgetting something......more than half of Americans don't bother to vote.

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2008, 08:54:09 PM »
true but lately I cant blame them.. hasnt been much of  choice in the elections... and its the electorial votes that do it not the popular votes 
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline pat

• Adv. Member
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2008, 11:57:10 AM »
true but lately I cant blame them.. hasnt been much of  choice in the elections... and its the electorial votes that do it not the popular votes 

the electorals can vote for who ever they want regardless of popular vote if you want a say you need to vote for the house an senate leaders who make the laws all the president dose is sign them into action or veto them he can declar war with congrass aprovel and make treaties and a few other small things but he is not all that powerfull in the big picture on his own
speed kills drive a ford and live forever

Offline pat

• Adv. Member
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2008, 11:58:46 AM »
i guess if you want to complain you need to vote every year for the house and senate when they come up
speed kills drive a ford and live forever