Author Topic: $$$: Mopar vs TA  (Read 9199 times)

Offline cobray

• You don't want to make me angry!
Re: $$$: Mopar vs TA
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 11:17:19 AM »
e bodies, not bas, but not worth what they get for them.

It amazes me that the 2nd gens were around for around 10 years and so many changes were made.  It never looked out dated with so many cosmetic changes.
The 70 looks so different than the 80 but both look great!!  
Other cars changed so in the 70 and the TA always looked tops!  never out dated.  Could not say that about  a Dart! A  The Dart looked like a 67 GTO that was shortened.  It was still around in he mid 70s.
The ebodies were not bad for early 70 but they could not hold throughout the 70s.
Agree, the TA proportions and lines are outstanding and clean!

But I can say I can apreciate anyone that has a passion about any car.    

1976 TA SE(clone)
Purchased: Aug 1982
Sat & Rusted away for 20 years
REBORN!!!!: Aug 2007 (after 3 years of restoration)
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee80/jlittlef/

Offline w72transamowner

• Tidewater Trans Am Club (www.ttac.net)
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 12:41:56 PM »

Again,  I can't believe these Mopars are selling for what they are.
whats next, Mavericks???  no, thoes sold well back in the day.

Hey, I wouldn't mind having a Maverick Grabber with a 302 (warmed up a bit of course)......light cars good for drag racing.
1978 Trans Am WS6/W72, Auto (purchased Sep 00)

http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/carfanatic1

Offline 784mula

• Ohio Firebirds
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/784MULA
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 05:54:08 PM »
I have the same argument with a guy at work. He loves to raze me on my Firebird stories & why his 70 challenger is so much more superb. He has a stock Challenger big block, over heats on Woodward every year. Granted his car is worth 4 to 5 times more than mine, but mine has far more style & class.

1978 FORMULA 1st place 2007 TA NATS Stk Class
1977 FORMULA (Gone but not forgotten)

Offline lee01

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 06:10:46 PM »
I prefer my Mopars (`Cudas, Challengers, Road Runners, etc. etc.) over the T/A's. Don't get me wrong, I love the Trans Am's as well, but I'd push a T/A out of the garage for a vintage Mopar!

X2
I'm a car guy in general, but I want a mopar with a High impact color! Panther pink or Sublime green or evant plum crazy purple.
There something about all the legacy behing them.

I do like my T/A, hell its my fourth one that i'"m working on!! That tell ya something.

But how many T/A versus Mopar. Gm sold ALOT of firebird, my T/A is one of 117xxx in 79 w/403 auto hardtop.  Wow how rare or special this is lol!

Also, each year the Mopar change model and they did look good. Hight impact color, drag racer for the dealer (Superstock), alot went into drag race history, Nascar....., another point,  some model went out only 4 year! T/A looked the same from 70 to 81!! OK, the T/A did survive longer than most Mopar, but people are looking into more raryties than quantity. Ince the high price and Barett Jackson

Current project:
90 Mustang GT 5.0
10 STI Sportech
Last T/A's
1979 x 4

Offline w72transamowner

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 07:36:13 PM »
I prefer my Mopars (`Cudas, Challengers, Road Runners, etc. etc.) over the T/A's. Don't get me wrong, I love the Trans Am's as well, but I'd push a T/A out of the garage for a vintage Mopar!

X2
I'm a car guy in general, but I want a mopar with a High impact color! Panther pink or Sublime green or evant plum crazy purple.
There something about all the legacy behing them.

I do like my T/A, hell its my fourth one that i'"m working on!! That tell ya something.

But how many T/A versus Mopar. Gm sold ALOT of firebird, my T/A is one of 117xxx in 79 w/403 auto hardtop.  Wow how rare or special this is lol!

Also, each year the Mopar change model and they did look good. Hight impact color, drag racer for the dealer (Superstock), alot went into drag race history, Nascar....., another point,  some model went out only 4 year! T/A looked the same from 70 to 81!! OK, the T/A did survive longer than most Mopar, but people are looking into more raryties than quantity. Ince the high price and Barett Jackson

X3......I'm just a car guy too!

I went to a local cruise in last night and was shocked to see a pristine 1973 340 Challenger and then I stumbled across an absolutely beautiful Challenger T/A 340 Six Pac (damn, didn't bring a camera); this car has just over 20,000 miles and supposedly spent 25 years in storage.

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 09:03:42 PM »
...(damn, didn't bring a camera)...

Hmmm...that same lapse of good sense and judgement got Rich 25 lashes with an old wiring harness just last year.  That's a cardinal offense, you know... :-\ :-\

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 10:34:45 AM »
I like the old Mopars but unfortunately they are way out of my price range for restoration, even a rust bucket mopar goes for around 10k, Dont get me wrong I  am like many on here that enjoys a good muscle car.... Would love to have a 70 Challenger R/T convertable with 440 six pack 4 speed in orange. Would actually build on to garage just for that one,  To those that have a classic Mopar I tip my hat to you all, just my preference is budget orientated and I do like the GM styling better.
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline cobray

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 11:26:46 AM »
I think the TA is not oinly the best looking but the best value out there.  You can't go wrong.
I think GM had all the top designers in Detroit.  The others were a step behind.
The Javlins and mopars are nice but always I will always view thaem as yea but why did they do that or looks like they tried to copy that, always a step behind in my eyes.

NOW:
But how do the Hemi's compair to the 455s??
1976 TA SE(clone)

Offline stonewall61

• Brad
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 12:07:07 PM »
sorry for this in advance.....

I am in no way a Mopar fan, but I have to say, as far as factory horsepower goes, nothing could touch the late 60's and early 70's motors...... the metal in the bodies sucked, the electrical systems were trash, but the mills were POWERFUL... although difficult to maintain in perfect tune from what i've been told from those who knew....... factory ratings were WAAAAYYYYYY off for ins purposes. I believe the factory rating for the big HEMI in 69 -70 was something like 400.........and when actually tested.....now, everybody hold on...... actually came in at over 200 horse higher THAN ANY OTHER MAKER, at almost 850!!!!!!! These numbers came from a horsepower show I saw a long time ago, where they took the biggest badest motors back in the hay day from each maker and did a stock rebuild, then did a engine dyno test...... unreaL.......

Offline cobray

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 12:15:52 PM »

The big uglies had balls!
1976 TA SE(clone)

Offline w72transamowner

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 07:02:05 PM »
...(damn, didn't bring a camera)...

Hmmm...that same lapse of good sense and judgement got Rich 25 lashes with an old wiring harness just last year.  That's a cardinal offense, you know... :-\ :-\

Don't you worry, I'm sure that 340 6-Pak Challenger T/A will be at other local cruises or shows and then I'll get that picture for ya.  ;)

Offline blythe

• 79 Trans Am 403
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 10:59:11 PM »
Another car show where Mopar took first.  Dang you MOPAR I'm coming for ya

73 cuda with 318

against my 79 TA with 403

No comparison is there

LOL

Offline cobray

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 11:02:27 PM »
Your TA looks outstanding!!
You have my vote.
Go get em blythe!!!
1976 TA SE(clone)

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 11:04:54 PM »
318?  What's a lousy 318 ... that's like a Mouse Motor.  It's not the 340 and way out of the 440 league!  Geez, that Cuda couldn't get out of it's own way.
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline KeePat

• When I finish my T/A I will change my avatar!
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 11:43:06 PM »
They say a picture is worth a 1000 words in this case it’s also worth 711 HP! Don’t get me wrong I’ve restored both GM & Mopar and after doing both there’s no question GM is the best! But any Hemi car is just cool!
Pat