Author Topic: 1978 factory t/a steering wheel parts diagram?  (Read 11486 times)

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Re: 1978 factory t/a steering wheel parts diagram?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 05:06:47 PM »
so if the column isnt locking with the key out, what should we be looking at to be the problem? (and this is a manual 4 speed car, if it matters...)
its either gonna be the linkage from the transmission to the column or its going to be the acutal lock rod within the column, most likely linkage is missing
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 03:15:53 PM »
so if the column isnt locking with the key out, what should we be looking at to be the problem? (and this is a manual 4 speed car, if it matters...)

If you look at that thread with the column disassembly pics, there are some pics that show the wheel lock parts. So, I counted the pics from the top, and the 6th photo down shows the lock pin engaged with one of the slots in the lock plate. When it's working right, the lock pin moves to the lock position when you turn the key to the off position. The pin is moved by a "rack" and plastic "cam" and a spring. Those parts are shown in photo 21. So, you'd have to tear down your column to that point to see what parts are missing or not assembled correctly, keeping the pin from moving outward. 
I can understand if you want it to function as it's supposed to. But, if you think it's too much trouble to fix and it doesn't bother you, you can leave it that way. Your wheel just won't lock in position with the key off. I have one like that and been driving it for probably 20 years that way. Older cars from the 60's back didn't have the lock feature, so it's not like it's a necessary thing  :) .
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 03:19:44 PM by Grand73Am »
Steve F.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
1978 factory t/a steering wheel parts diagram?
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 04:02:07 PM »
Cheaper start is go rotate the collar counter clockwise til it stops then if your wheel locks you know it's linkage
Eroc

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 05:18:32 PM »
The shifter collar position on the column or the linkage position allows the key to turn to the off/lock position. So, if he can turn his key to the key's lock position and take the key out, the problem wouldn't be his collar position or the linkage.

Since he said he can remove the key, it seems that he is able to turn the key to the key lock position and remove the key like normal, but the steering wheel doesn't lock like it should. Apparently he can still turn and steer the wheel after locking the key cylinder and removing the key. So, my guess is it has to be the internal wheel lock parts  :) .

Steve F.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
1978 factory t/a steering wheel parts diagram?
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 06:38:06 PM »
Good point I completely forgot about that.....
Eroc

Offline billybobdupree

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 05:37:44 AM »
well we just got our GRANT 1014 steering wheel in. Its ok I guess. Some say I'm being too picky but it seems to me that the leather wrapped around the middle spoke is not level/straight!!!  also it looks as if it already fraying at the other spokes. If you have one can you let us know if it looks like the one we have.

billie

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 08:56:43 AM »
Doesn't look good. Maybe you can send it back. Just wondering why you decided to get a Grant? Of course it's hard to know how good it will be until you get it.
The LeCarra wheels I've seen are made much better.

Also, it's not good to lay stuff on concrete or cement, since it can scratch it up.
Steve F.

Offline billybobdupree

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 11:19:37 AM »
Now I know where all the scratches came from...dropping it down from waist height to the cement probably wasn't good, but I just knew I shouldn't have given it a "hacky-sack" kick to get it off the ground just because I didn't want to bend over to pick it up. darn! (I think it will buff out with some leather restorer).
Summit had these at an unbelievable price thats why we gave it a chance. And like you said , we had nothing to go by except a small pic on summits site. And it looked good as far as we could tell.
Maybe someone can post some pics of other aftermarket wheels up-close as to see the detail.
And of course I was just kidding about dropping and kicking the wheel ;D it was placed down gently, and theres absolutely no sign of a scratch anywhere. ;)
billie

Offline billybobdupree

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 11:37:10 AM »
I agree with you the lecarra wheel does look better! We will be sending this back to Summit!! Thanks for the tip!

Pics of the Lecarra here
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=32125.0
billie

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 09:49:07 PM »
whats the cost of these 2 compared to getting a stock one redone?
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline BlackTransAm

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 10:04:17 PM »
I have a nice hub if you need one, $35 plus shipping. The Lecarra wheels I've seen aren't better than the one you have
spend the extra money and buy a nice one

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 11:59:48 PM »
The LeCarra's in this thread do look better: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=44818.0

They aren't frayed where the leather meets the spokes, and the leather isn't pieced together where the leather T's off to meet the spokes either, like the Grant is.

That's not to say that there may not be some better, more expensive, reproductions available too though.
Steve F.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 10:12:02 PM »
That's fairly crude where the leather just stops, at least roll it under and sew it around the edge of where the grip meets the aluminium. I wonder if that particular piece on each spoke is even leather and not vinyl that simulates leather. You can see they don't match and it appears to have been heated and shrunken onto each spoke, leather doesn't do that.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:13:43 PM by Aus78Formula »