Author Topic: Replace 79 Front & Rear Springs?  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Original79

Replace 79 Front & Rear Springs?
« on: June 03, 2006, 08:53:30 PM »
I am the original owner of an all original (down to the <a>brake pads[/url]) 79 Formula.  Over the years I have noticed that the car has 'sunk' a bit and doesn't sit as high as it once did.  I would like to replace the front springs & rear leafs.  How difficult of a project would this be for me to attempt myself?  I've done some reading and the opinions seem to vary.  Some say the <a>fuel tank[/url] has to be 'dropped' to replace the leafs.  Others say it doesn't.  Most say the front springs are fairly difficult to replace.  Any thoughts from the ones that have actually done this work?
Happy Motoring!
Thanks!
Joe

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 10:17:48 PM »
actually it can be done in a day or weekend (if you get frustrated easily) the fuel tank doesnt have to be dropped but getting the rear shackle bolts in and out is a bit harder.....it would be easier to order the rear leaf spring mounting kit through NPD which is something like 85$ and it includes all new nuts and bolts for everything, makes for easier installation....as for the front springs they are easy too....just take off the wheel, and steering linkage, if you take the caliper off the rotor tie it up so you dont have to disconnect your brake lines..... remove the shocks within the springs...then pop off the whole steering knuckle by removing the upper and lower cotter pins and then the bolts, ull probablly have to use a big hammer to get the lower ball joint removed from the knuckle as the tension holding it in there has probablly got it stuck, just hit the knuckle on the side where the ball joint goes through....and it should eventually fall right out....but remove the lower arm first from the knuckle and it might pop apart....keep a jack under the lower control arm as the tension in the spring might shoot something off if not supported....and after the lower balljoint is released from the knuckle just slowly lower the jack and everything should come out nice and easily....make sure you have the car jacked up enough for the controll arm to really fold down...makes removing and installing the spring much easier....as for installation just reverse it and use a spring compresser to get the controll arm up to bolt up the ball joints.......hope that helps
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 11:31:20 PM »
Yes, I agree the rear leaf springs are faily easy to replace, but the fronts are another story.  They are in there with alot of tension.... did I mention ALOT of tension.  If you are not careful, that spring could shoot through the floor.  So taking them off is a delicate thing.  Also, putting the new ones on is delicate as well.  You can usually rent a spring compressor form most of the auto stores like Auto Zone, Murrays, etc.  But when you have a front coil spring compressed like that to put it back on, it feels like you are holding a time bomb.... you can just feel the pressur wanting to release at any second.  It is a little hairy for the first timer.  The rear leaf springs can be done easy enough, but you might want to take the car and have the fronts done by someone else.  I have done about 8 or 9 sets of fronts in the last year and I am used to doing them now, but let me tell you that first time was interesting.....
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline HughJass

• Geoff
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 08:00:56 AM »
When I did mine, it took a weekend, but I didnt spend the whole time doing it so if I really stayed at it I guess we could have done it in a day.
I had access to a torch and cut the fronts in half first then took them out, I was worried about them coming out like a rocket with all that tension, that made it easier.
My friend who wrenches at a Ford dealer told me that back in the day when he worked at a garage they used to be able to do a side in 20 min. with 2 guys, but he admits back then he was a bit of a torch mechanic!

Get a couple of friends, it wont be to bad.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

79 W72 WS6,  work in progress - nicknamed Lucy

Offline Original79

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 08:59:53 AM »
Thanks for all the info.  I think I'll give it a go.  I'm considering getting the springs from Detroit Spring.  Any other places I should consider?

Thanks Again!

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 04:35:40 PM »
I always get my stuff from Eaton Detroit Spring.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline 428 78T/A

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 12:16:45 AM »
ESPO Springs'n Things
www.espo.com
springsnthings@aol.com
1-800-903-9019 for catalog
piccoli : "I can fix it. My dad's a television repair man, he's got an awesome set of tools"

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 02:13:32 AM »
What were the factory colours of the coil springs when new, or were there several? The fronts on mine appear to be a similar blue to the engines under all the dust, no idea how old they are though.
cheers,
Ben