Author Topic: New interior....  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Solar78

New interior....
« on: June 20, 2006, 10:35:42 AM »
Ok, I am getting ready to replace the interior in my car.
Going to pick up an SE interior this weekend.. and dropping it in my car over the next few weeks.....

So its also time to replace the headliner that looks like a star filled sky due to the 500 tacks holding it up!  :D  

#1 can anyone who has replaced theres recommend a good quality headliner at a decent price.. if you bought it off ebay who the seller was.
Mine is tan... so good color match...and should I replace the board underneath?? or just reuse it???

#2 any advise on the process would be appreciated.

#3 how hard is it going to be to install new carpet?

So after that great list what I am asking is basically for any advice on the replacement of interior for your experiences would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks,
Mike
"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"

Offline Solar78

New interior....
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 02:27:29 PM »
Just one more thing...
Anyone replace a tan rug yet?

Where did you buy it.. never realized there are a billion suppliers and all different styles of carpet... who knew!  :shock:

Thanks...
"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
New interior....
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 04:19:01 PM »
i got mine from ames, they sent me color samples to choose from and match up with the old carpet but i bought the car with no carpet so i didnt really car as which color tan it was....if you want a pic let me know and ill snap one for you..
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Solar78

New interior....
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 08:09:01 PM »
Yeah if you would that would be great and let me know the color you chose too... so I can see if its the same..
Thanks...

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
New interior....
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 12:23:13 PM »
As far as the headliner, you can get it from any of the big names and they range from $120 to $150.  That is for the entire kit which includes the board (now ABS plastic instead of cardboard), faom backing, and headliner material.  You can just buy the headliner material for about $50 and re-use your old board, but you also have to buy new foam backing for about $6.  You also need to buy the adhesive for the putting it all together which is about another $4.  So, you can save money by re-using your board, but it also takes time to clean off the old board and get it prepped in order for the new stuff to adhere properly.  So it comes down to time vs money.  I have done it both ways and found it is better just to buy the whole kit because it takes about 3 to 4 hours to do it all.  So, I spend $60 more dollars to have the whole kit, but it saves me 4 hours.

The carpet is easy to replace.  You have four bolts in each of the seats to take out, four screws to remove the shift bezel on the console, then 6 more bolts and screws to remove the center console from the car (two bolts up front, two screws that hold the console box in, then two more screws that hold down the center console under the console box).  You then also have 4 screws in each sill plate to remove and that is about it.  You do have to loosen some screws that hold the rear quarter panel and lower front kick panel and toe guard in, but you don't have to remove those.  You can just loosen them to be able to slide the carpet underneath them to install.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
New interior....
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 04:48:53 PM »
heres the pics, the carpets a little dirty and the dark spot is a drink i just spilled (only water) but its gone now...... :x

Eroc

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
New interior....
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 05:05:30 PM »
Oh yeah!  A chesterfield brown formula.  I had one just like yours but mine had a tach and pulse wipers.  Looks like your carpet shrunk by the sill plate just like mine did.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
New interior....
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 05:25:14 PM »
well its an espirt but formulas close :lol:
Eroc

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
New interior....
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 06:13:38 PM »
No way, the hood on the forumula is a work of art.  I love that hood design probably better than the T/A.  The espirt is flat, but you're right, they're basically the same car.  I had the 350 L because I didn't want the Oldsmobile 403.  It was only 10 horspower less than the basic Pontiac 400.  But they make volkswagens with more horsepower nowadays.  In the day, I really liked chesterfield brown.....today, it's not my favorite color....and I ordered cheterfield brown from the factory back in the day.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
New interior....
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 06:18:10 PM »
hahahahaha oh i know, brown back then was a better color....now it looks like rust :lol:  cause its original paint...but im going to get it repainted the same color just because its an all original car...
Eroc

Offline 1onehotTA

New interior....
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 09:33:11 PM »
I just did a whole interior and it was kinda nerve racking, but I have had worse projects to do.  I made a headliner out of a cardboard box and a headsup headliner kit (pep boys), it looks amazing.  I replaced everything in my car.  Carpet to headliner to dash.
A rocket car could make it...............Anyone who knows what movie this line is from has to be from this forum.