Author Topic: possibly dumb question about a switch  (Read 2601 times)

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
Re: possibly dumb question about a switch
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 11:27:16 PM »
I know that in the 78 and up cars, the fan comes on at low speed any time the ignition is on. This is to provide positiive air pressure inside the cabin to help ensure no exhaust fumes make their way into the cabin. I don't know if this feature was designed into the 77 and earlier cars. Anyone else know?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 09:56:20 PM by 78ta »
Randy

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 09:28:58 AM »
I know that in the 78 and up cars, the fan come on at low speed any time the ignition is on. This is to provide positiive air pressure inside the cabin to help ensure no exhaust fumes make their way into the cabon. I don't if this feature was designed into the 77 and earlier cars. Anyone else know?

Of course it was.  It was a government regulation for exactly the reason you stated.  The difference in 78 was the fan didn't automatically revert to the high speed when the A/C selector was put on "Max".  There's an extra wire in the 77 harness that jumps the switch to the high position at "Max".

The fan should run all the time.  That's why I would never pull a blower motor from a junk car to install in one of my cars.  Those fans are always running and one from a junk car is probably just a few revolutions from junk itself.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 09:30:51 AM by ta78w72 »

Offline sardonicus

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 12:55:42 PM »
Okay, that is good to know. Going to get my uncle to help me locate that relay today. I'm pretty sure I know where it's at, but like I've said before he's been car minded a lot longer than I've been trying lol, so I'd rather have him say yup thats it than just me thinking i found it and replacing sometihng else lol.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 01:03:21 PM »
The relay is on the A/C box in the engine compartment...right below the resistor...the resistor is red and the high blower relay is silver.  Locate the hood spring and look to the right....it's right there.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 01:09:47 PM »
The relay is on the A/C box in the engine compartment...right below the resistor...the resistor is red and the high blower relay is silver.  Locate the hood spring and look to the right....it's right there.

Circled in blue

Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline sardonicus

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 02:41:29 PM »
You guys rock, thank you for the info.