Author Topic: Help with Control Arms, Ball Joints, new bushings are loose......  (Read 1929 times)

Offline 1973Formula

All of the bushings and ball joints were replaced on my car before I bought it.  I have dismantled the subframe for painting.  I now see that some of the work done on the car was less than professional.  One of the lower ball joints was not pressed in all the way.

Some of the lower control arm bushings are loose in the arms.  How can I fix the arms so that the bushings will stay in place(or can put a small tack weld on the bushing sleeve?)?

The bushings in the upper arms appear okay, but the threaded rod is so tight in the bushings that it won't rotate freely.  Having the upper arms in a bind doesn't sound right to me.  I know that there aren't any grease fittings on the stock setup.  Should the rod be greased before installation or is supposed to be that tight?

Help me out with how the stock setup should work.  I can modify my pieces to get everything back to stock or better than stock.  I just don't want to replace all of these new parts because they were installed poorly.   I have already reinstalled the lower ball joint and got it to seat completely.

Thanks,
Tom

Offline JoMamma_Smurf

Re: Help with Control Arms, Ball Joints, new bushings are loose......
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 12:29:26 PM »
Every bushing and balljoint for the lower control arm should be pressed in.  I suggest buying new bushings and just getting them re-installed by a shop.  Dont weld em in...they're gonna have to be replaced again someday.

Offline stonewall61

• Brad
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 01:31:14 PM »
also, if you look at the sevrice manual for the lower arm bushings, it shows them flared by a special tool once they are pressed in .

Offline 1973Formula

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 01:53:49 PM »
Well I don't think there is anything wrong with the bushings.  I just think they were installed incorrectly.  I can press them out and reinstall them.  The arms may need some work.  How wide is the space between the holes supposed to be?  I can work the arms back into shape, and then reinstall the bushings.  If they are still loose, then I probably need new arms.

What about the tightness on the uppers?

Thanks,