Author Topic: Restored window guides  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Restored window guides
« on: April 28, 2016, 04:14:16 AM »
Nothing too fancy, but can restore the original window guides for less than the reproduction pieces and still be likely much better quality than them and also the cheap, thin adhesive felt sold to repair worn out originals.

I originally had mine redone years ago with very thick new felt that wouldn't scratch but it was too thick and left no adjustment room. So I sourced an extra 2 guides to support the glass while I restored the full set. I pulled the renewed thick felt off them, and had the metal blasted lightly. I then sent them and the bolts off for replating. I then tried a few different felts, including the repro set. Junk. I then sourced a fairly cheap but far superior felt that happened to come from Germany and arrived within a week! Fantastic quality and even the adhesive backing was night and day difference.

A few quick pics, the other bolts were already in used supporting the door glass when I decided to take a pic.

Offline 78FreeBird

Re: Restored window guides
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 10:28:37 PM »
where did you get the felt. i ordered some online and it is much thinner than i expected.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 01:03:20 AM »
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231770827484

Sent a pm but keeps coming up as error, see if this link works. 3x30mm.

Offline teenage bandit

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 07:55:11 AM »
Looks nice

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 11:46:24 PM »
Looks nice! I've used the material part that comes in "stick on" velcro packages in the past and it seems to work good. Didn't know anyone even sold sticky felt, never looked for it. Wish I knew a plating place around here that did small parts lots like that.
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 11:56:15 PM »
There's a lot of felt with adhesive backs on ebay, but as I've found out the quality is vastly different.

I found the plating guys I use also from ebay, selling small, used but replated car parts. Have used them several times although not at all local, like posting from 2/3 the way across the US and back. But a handy contact.