Author Topic: 1972 455 cam-change.  (Read 515 times)

Offline marx3

1972 455 cam-change.
« on: May 12, 2009, 10:50:13 AM »
Hi there, edelbrock is recommending that you use adjustable pushrods and rockerarms, when you install their RPM cam.
But what the heck do they mean exactly? The engine ( 1972 455 ) is stock other than external upgrades. Is it necessary to change rods and arms etc if we install the RPM cam?
Ignition & Induction.

"What are we gonna do, kidnap the Pope or something ?"

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
Re: 1972 455 cam-change.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 02:06:51 PM »
Not sure why they'd say the pushrods, but the studs and nuts do need to be changed to allow for adjusting the rocker arms.. Check to see if you have screw in or pressed in studs. (Screw ins will have a hex at the base of the stud.) The most common studs to swap to are big block Chevy studs so that you can use the adgustable (self locking) nuts. The stock ones are simply tightened down to a specific torque spec and can't accommodate the different grind of the higher lift cam.
Larry

Offline Mr. P-Body

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 02:18:08 PM »
Marx,

If you haven't already purchased that cam, DON'T! If you can send it back, DO! There are much better cam grinds available than those Edelbrock generi-grinds.  I'll check back here tomorrow.

Jim

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 02:32:47 PM »
Marx,

If you haven't already purchased that cam, DON'T! If you can send it back, DO! There are much better cam grinds available than those Edelbrock generi-grinds.  I'll check back here tomorrow.

Jim

Just remember where he is when it comes to shipping (especially if he's returning something) and in some cases availability Jim.
Larry

Offline marx3

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 06:41:48 PM »
Sorry for late reply.
The cam has not been bougth yet, and also it is very cheap. what equals 180$.
They dont come cheaper over here.
Money is quite an issue here, and I, with my humble cam-specs knowledge am pretty certain that it tops the precent cam in the engine.
oh, and yes, we do have partssuppliers here, but you are right, it would have been pretty expensive to ship a cam back to the states ;-)
Ignition & Induction.

"What are we gonna do, kidnap the Pope or something ?"