Author Topic: How Rare Are the Gold SE Birds?  (Read 9689 times)

Offline O'Neall

• T-tops? We don't need no stinkin' T-tops!
Re: How Rare Are the Gold SE Birds?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 08:58:11 PM »
Hey, that pic is all I've got until my car is done... let me at least have that! ;)
Jon O'Neall
1977 Y81 Trans Am
W72-400/Auto (1 of 549)
"Trans Am!  What's your pleasure?"

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008, 09:07:43 PM »
Well, my 1978 W72 four speed was built in Van Nuys and shipped to a dealer in Illinois.

Well...shoots that theory in the a$$.  Illinois is without question closer to Norwood than Van Nuys, and I'd think the transportation costs would reflect that.  What WAS GMs motivation on allocating production then -- purely scheduling of the orders to meet demand?  That must have cost them some coin in extra transport costs... ??? ???

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2008, 11:50:38 PM »
Rich, I got a car for you.  I don't have any pictures of it right now, but  I could send you a picture of what it could look like.

:D :D :D
I HATE those type of eBay ads  >:( ::)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2008, 12:48:30 AM »
Hi, Jeff.  Wondered where you were.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2008, 01:12:41 AM »
Fighting ice and snow, welding stuff, drinking tea...normal routine  ;)  ;D
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline LTD

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2008, 11:34:11 AM »
That is a beautifully done car!

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2008, 12:00:25 PM »
Well, my 1978 W72 four speed was built in Van Nuys and shipped to a dealer in Illinois.

Well...shoots that theory in the a$$.  Illinois is without question closer to Norwood than Van Nuys, and I'd think the transportation costs would reflect that.  What WAS GMs motivation on allocating production then -- purely scheduling of the orders to meet demand?  That must have cost them some coin in extra transport costs... ??? ???

"General Motors - We make cars! Not sense." ::)
Larry

Offline Rebel 5150

• Flagler County, Florida -Viewer Discretion Advised
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2008, 01:45:05 PM »

"General Motors - We make cars! Not sense." ::)

Yep, and now they make cents instead of dollars.
Harold - Pure Trans Am Nut

“Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.” - David Lee Roth

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2008, 02:53:48 PM »
This dealership is a joke, they are about 15 minutes from me. Most of the cars are redone, and not very well. They also have as they said ( Very rare 78 Y82 with red interior, only a few made.). These people are out to make as much money as they can from people who do not know better.

I'd fall into that category, I was a big sucker when I bought my car!  :(

Rich, I got a car for you.  I don't have any pictures of it right now, but  I could send you a picture of what it could look like. 

HA!  I learned my lesson the first time.  Get me once, shame on you, get me twice, shame on me!
Rich

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2008, 09:34:14 AM »

We are dealing with assembly plants.  All the components have to be shipped to the plant.  These contracts are negotiated long before the model year.  TRW used to negotiated contracts for valves that would be four or five years.  So, they probably set up the quantities ahead of time to ensure efficient assembly.  Likewise, GM would have contracts with the rail lines to ship their cars.  Remember, they have numerous models and numerous plants all over the U.S.  My guess is they negotiate a flat rate for transportation, or at worst some sort of zonal rate.  I would imagine that their transportation costs are very small no matter how far the car is transported.  It's probably a unit price no matter where the car ships. So, a car shipped from Van Nuy's to Nevada, would probably be the same price as a car shipped from Van Nuy's to Illinois.......or Ohio to Illinois for that matter.

Offline STRYKER

• Everyday is a Marine's Birthday..Semper Fidelis
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2008, 10:22:58 AM »
I have a 1978 Y88 with a 4 speed W72 engine and only 1,267 were built with it. My vin # is 2W87Z8N175012.
  http://www.taspecialties.com/resto/larry.htm

My Trans Am was originally ordered by General Motors:  Here are copies of the emails by Jim Mattison of Pontiac Historic Services.

So how rare is my Y-88, and what is the value now ?   For the right price I will sell anything......

----- Original Message -----
To: LARRYTRIPLED
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 3:44 PM
Subject: Re: T/A

Larry,

Your car was originally a GM company car.  The dealer that it was consigned to
was: General Motors, Staff Accounting, Warren, MI.

Jim Mattison
Pontiac Historic Services

----- Original Message -----
To: LARRYTRIPLED
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 4:47 PM
Subject: Re: T/A

Larry,

GM has literally thousands of company owned cars in the Detroit area.  I'm sure that yours
was used by some GM exec. for transportation.  After they put 3k miles on them, they were
sold as an "out of service" used car.  Most times these cars would be snapped-up by a
lower level GM employee at a huge discount. 

Jim Mattison
Pontiac Historic Services

..... Thanks, Stryker

SGT. BATJAC STRYKER, U.S.M.C.