Author Topic: Very bad engine oil leak possibly under manifold.....Help  (Read 6138 times)

Offline 1onehotTA

Very bad engine oil leak possibly under manifold.....Help
« on: June 04, 2006, 01:50:55 PM »
hello, I have a question about my 400 6.6 liter W72.  I have a super bad oil leak, it is coming from somewhere on the top of the engine.  I put a new distributor on a while back and when I did there was no gasket on either the old one or with the new one.  My question is, should there be one?  I mean my oil leak is bad, it is hard to determine where it is coming from though.  Also the piece under the intake that covers the engine center looks to have no gasket, but some sort of sealer between it and the block, but it doesnt appear to be leaking there, but like I said it is hard to tell.    Any ideas, there is like a pool that forms on the top of the engine behind the dist.
A rocket car could make it...............Anyone who knows what movie this line is from has to be from this forum.

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 02:16:25 PM »
Did the new distributor you installed have an o-ring seal near the top on the shaft just under the flange the mounting bracket clamps down on??? If not... That may be the problem. It's hard to say. you really need to clean it all off (oil) and start it up and watch for the leak.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline whwright

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 06:29:46 PM »
Did you have the same problem before you changed the distributor?

I would check the grommet on the PCV valve.  It's in the valley cover, through a hole in the intake manifold.  Oil gets splashed up there quite a bit, and airflow from the fan would tend to blow it toward the back of the engine.  If you inadvertently push or drop it through the hole it isn't the end of the world.  I've seem several engines (one of them my own) where the grommet got dropped inside and never hurt a thing.

I suppose the same sort of thing could happen if the vacuum line to the PCV valve were cracked.  I haven't seen it on a Poncho, but on a couple of 5.0 fords I've worked on they made quite a mess.

I've never had a distributor leak very much oil, and never enough to be a problem.  Technically there should be a skinny paper gasket between the distributor housing and the block, but I think it's more to keep the dizzy from getting stuck than sealing an oil leak.

Good luck!

Wayne.
1978 Trans Am
1975 Grand Prix
1971 Chevy C20
1972 ...uhem... mustang

Offline 1onehotTA

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 07:29:40 PM »
I solved my oil leak, there is this strange size square drive plug that goes into the block that had come loose.  It doesnt really serve a purpose other than it must come from the pressure side of the oil pump, as I cleaned my engine then ran the car for just a minute at got like a puddle of oil on top of the dist. area of the block.  I removed it easily as it was finger tight, put some thread sealer on it and tighten the &*%$ out of it.  I had to make a square drive to fit it though, as it was like 5/16 square, and we all know socket wrenches are 1/4 or 3/8. so I ground down a large bolt to a sqaure and used it as my driver.  Thanks for all your help.
A rocket car could make it...............Anyone who knows what movie this line is from has to be from this forum.

Offline whwright

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 03:30:52 AM »
I believe that's an oil galley plug.  That would cause one heckuva leak all right.

Glad you found it before something was seriously damaged!
1978 Trans Am
1975 Grand Prix
1971 Chevy C20
1972 ...uhem... mustang