Author Topic: sub boxes for your trunk  (Read 16109 times)

Offline turbota400

• Adv. Member
Re: sub boxes for your trunk
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2010, 12:42:10 AM »
A member on here built mine for me.  It is a type of bandpass box (can't remember the exact name) for two 12" subs.  I have two 4" ports cut into the rear package tray of my T/A that will be incorporated into the box soon as I get it up and running.  I will finally get to put his hard work to use hopefully this summer.  The box fits great right behind the back seat and doesn't take up too much space.
Shawn
1972 Chevy C-10
1980 Trans Am Pace Car - 428 ci Poncho in the works
1992 S-10 2WD- Work Bomber/Gas saver
1997 Chevy X-cab 4x4 - Vortec 350

Offline skisix38off

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2010, 08:05:31 AM »
I got the whole system finished wiring last night.  I test fit everythig and got everything hooked up to verify all was well- that doesn't happen frequently in my world.  All was great and everything worked!!!  Oh, and it sounds incredible!!!  It's got a very smooth response and not too much mid range and a deep bass, like boils up from under the car kind of deep.

The amp is mounted and the sub in place and it kicks out more then enough bass( it seems silly of me to have been concerned now with the end result).  I'm not pleased with all the wires for the amp and would like that to be dressed up a bit but I'm not excited about right now.  I believe I will be changing sub boxs to something like what Defend did and then I'll mounnt the amp on the back seat....

I was beat by the time I got all this done so I didn't take pictures, I will in the next few days.  I am really trying to have all this complete by the weekend as it's my son's 10th b day and he asked if we could take his friends around for TA rides.....

Greg
1978 Y88 L78 auto, PW
Greg

Offline defend21

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2010, 08:20:42 AM »
Post up some pics guys, I want to see.  I glued the face carpet on last night, and will stretch and staple in the morning (Saturday).  I'll post up some more pics including the amp mount location which looks real good as well.  You can make this box with a screw gun, circular saw, and jig saw.  I'll post up the "How to" also.  Hopefully this weekend.  BTW, this is only my second sub box attempt.  I failed miserably the first time, had to burn it......:(.......waited 3 years to try again.  I just took my time and used heavy paper and cardboard to build the whole thing first, then cut the pieces of wood and put together.  It really looks great, and should have been a factory option with free REO Speedwagon CD.  Oh wait, I meant cassette tape......... ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 08:22:50 AM by defend21 »
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 Y84 Deluxe Blk Int #'s Match T-Top - 403/Auto (SWAPPED TO 525HP - 428 4 Bolt) - /Pypes Exhaust/Pro-Touring Suspension/Original Radio-Custom Stereo

Offline deadfish

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2010, 09:28:13 AM »
Great!...I've been wai
Post up some pics guys, I want to see.  I glued the face carpet on last night, and will stretch and staple in the morning (Saturday).  I'll post up some more pics including the amp mount location which looks real good as well.  You can make this box with a screw gun, circular saw, and jig saw.  I'll post up the "How to" also.  Hopefully this weekend.  BTW, this is only my second sub box attempt.  I failed miserably the first time, had to burn it......:(.......waited 3 years to try again.  I just took my time and used heavy paper and cardboard to build the whole thing first, then cut the pieces of wood and put together.  It really looks great, and should have been a factory option with free REO Speedwagon CD.  Oh wait, I meant cassette tape......... ;D

Great! I've been waiting to see the build so I can steal your idea! (lol)...I like the positioning of yours for maximizing trunk space..

Rick C.

Offline defend21

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2010, 09:31:11 PM »
Sorry, honey do list is a mile long this weekend.  Here are some pics.  Covered the box with carpet (I ordered another trunk carpet and cut to fit box).  Then I cut out the hole.

[attachment deleted by admin over 90 days old]
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 Y84 Deluxe Blk Int #'s Match T-Top - 403/Auto (SWAPPED TO 525HP - 428 4 Bolt) - /Pypes Exhaust/Pro-Touring Suspension/Original Radio-Custom Stereo

Offline defend21

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2010, 09:33:03 PM »
Next I test fit the box with the sub.  I still have to do the write up and fit the carpet together so it looks clean and install the amp.  I took a straight on shot so you could see it does not eat up much space.

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2010, 10:14:21 PM »
Very nice!  The box turned out great!

Offline skisix38off

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2010, 08:22:32 AM »
A picture of my install...  I still think I'm liking your Defend....  This takes up the best space in the trunk...  But it works awesome!

1978 Y88 L78 auto, PW
Greg

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2010, 08:38:20 AM »
Not bad Greg. What size sub is that?

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline deadfish

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2010, 10:11:47 AM »
Next I test fit the box with the sub.  I still have to do the write up and fit the carpet together so it looks clean and install the amp.  I took a straight on shot so you could see it does not eat up much space.

Excellent work..yep...that's the way I will go...thanks for sharing!

Rick C.

Offline skisix38off

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2010, 11:11:16 AM »
Not bad Greg. What size sub is that?

10" kicker, maybe .75ft^3 internal volume- a little short of optimal and it fits the contour of the trunk pan on that side and extends to the back seat.

The amp is a Kicker 700.5 5 channel amp 4X75 and 1X240, super clean power.  The 75X4 is a good plenty but the sub effect diminishes quickly when the car is running, and is unheard at hwy speeds with the tops off....  There's a lot of noise the sub competes with and a lot of low frequency noise.  I haven't played with optimizing the settings yet so I don't know if I'll be able to get to the point where, with the tops off and on the hwy- I can hear/feel the sub and some bass.
1978 Y88 L78 auto, PW
Greg

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2010, 12:02:01 PM »
Hmm nice info to have.

With my setup, (2) 6x9's in the rear package tray, I can feel the bass going down the road with the tops out.

Did you sound deaden the car at all?

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!

Offline skisix38off

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2010, 01:57:10 PM »
Hmm nice info to have.

With my setup, (2) 6x9's in the rear package tray, I can feel the bass going down the road with the tops out.

Did you sound deaden the car at all?

I have two 6x9's in the rear package tray running on 75W and I can definitely hear them, there is sound insulation on the package tray and down the back seat into the seat well's.  The bass is overwhelming when the car isn't running but as soon as I start it up and get going down the road, the effect diminishes quickly.  I'm not complaning, I'm very happy about the turn out and I will be even happier when I optimize it!
1978 Y88 L78 auto, PW
Greg

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2010, 08:18:24 AM »
Greg,

Then I'd humbly suggest adding some sound deadening to the following:

Floors
Doors
Either side of the rear passenger area
Roof

I bet you get a lot less engine/road noise in the cabin when you do that much.

Offline skisix38off

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2010, 07:51:37 AM »
Greg,

Then I'd humbly suggest adding some sound deadening to the following:

Floors
Doors
Either side of the rear passenger area
Roof

I bet you get a lot less engine/road noise in the cabin when you do that much.

Yassir!  Those areas are on the list but, are 4-5 items down at this point.  I'm slowly working my way through.....  Just like everyone else on this board.

Greg
1978 Y88 L78 auto, PW
Greg