Author Topic: 213 Built???  (Read 3986 times)

Offline GT-Performer

• 1979 Y84 301 4_speed (manual)
213 Built???
« on: November 16, 2011, 10:32:27 PM »
Hey guys, ive been registered here for a while but never post anymore, i focus on 1980's BMX and Freestyle bikes, so thats been taking up all my time for almost 3yrs, Ive had my TA for a little longer than that, anyways....I bought the car with intent of restoring it and making it modern (retro fit) with fuel injection, the BRE wheels...Swivel seats, audio, BIG ENGINE!  I got the car home and started the research, And from what i understand, its 1 of 213 built??  Its the 301 4 speed t top, from 1979.  Heres my ORIGINAL problem, (wich is why i never ripped it apart).....I need a TA i can rip apart and not feel bad.  If this car is as rare as i think it is, I just cant bring myself to do it.  So it went on the back burner, I tryed selling it on CL a few times but had low ball offers.  I know it isnt the 400-403CI but i think its a better Y84 because it has the lowest Production # of any TA's ever built (not counting red,yellow,blue birds and Machos)...So the car has been sitting for 3yrs, and im done with the BMX hobby and want to build a car BAD!   Im sick of looking at it and not having the balls to rip it apart and lose PH...SO HERES MY QUESTION.  Let it rott? Or Rip it apart?   And is it the 213 built  FOR SURE??   Anybody wana trade for a Clone or a Mustang 50LX?   I DONT WANT THIS CAR!! I cant do anything with it because its rare.  And nobody wants to buy it.

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
Re: 213 Built???
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 10:43:21 PM »
It is your car,  do with it what you want.  Shame letting it sit there.  If you are banking on the resale value,  restore it to original but if you plan to keep it, build the crap out of it and have fun with it.  I had a Grand Prix with the same problem. It was too nice and too original to repaint black (green car) so I sold it. 
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline GT-Performer

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Thats the thing, i rather sink my money into a Mustang Lx or a Non rare TA....I just dont want to buy one, or a stang until the Y84 is gone, and i had alot of trouble with tire kickers and low ballers. I just want it gone.

Offline GT-Performer

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 10:54:17 PM »
Is it really 1 of the 213? EVERYTHING in my research and gut say YES!

Offline Squirrel

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Dan
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 11:03:16 PM »
i would keep it original, not sure where you are trying to sell it but someone out there should be all over that car at a fair price, i would try a national outlet like ebay, cars on line, auto trader, etc.  local craigslist is too limited to properly promote that car.  i have a 79 301 4spd too, non SE, but rare and local craigs has just gotten me tire kickers and low ballers who want a 400 painted black.  i have not spent the time and effort to put it on ebay, etc.  i too was going to change the car up but not going to now, too rare and runs good and looks good the way it is. 
1978 Chesterfield Brown TA
1977 Camaro 4 speed with t tops
1977 Mustang Cobra II

Offline GT-Performer

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 11:13:45 PM »
I too am being lazy i guess....I havent ever put it a auto trader or ebay, The fee's are rediculos and i dont have the patience to ship it.  I just want somone with cash or trade (mustang)  hand the the keys and title and see pics of it when its restored.  Ive asked for 3grand for this rare TA that needs resto, Wich I THINK is fair, and have even gone to 2500 (and im still losing money)  I had a guy come here and say 700!!! YEAAAAAAAA RIGHTTTT i told him, I DONT need the money OR smoke crack.  The guy thought i was desperate or somthing.  I told him it will sit there and rott forever instead of taking 700 bucks for it, I sent him on his way. SEE YA!!!   LOL

Offline GT-Performer

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 11:16:21 PM »
Heck, ive even bought a 77-78 front end for it, the day after i bought it, and thats sitting in the shed useless, Again, because i didnt know how rare the car was till afterwards....I just wanted a TA to customize. And got stuck with this rare lawn ornament! LOL

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 05:04:14 AM »
do you have to have t top? I have a 79 esprit hardtop with a 301 auto trans.... solid solid car.... I can trade if you are interested?
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline folzinal

• -Ryan
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 07:36:57 AM »
If you were closer I would trade my Mustang in a heartbeat.  I would even throw in an '82 Silver Streak or an '86 Cru Jones tribute!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:51:13 PM by folzinal »

Offline UnderDog403

• Phil 4:13
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 03:20:59 PM »
I wouldn't modify something that rare. If it is a real Y84, factory 4 speed 301 car, then yes, if the figures are accurate, she's a rare bird. If you don't want to restore it, sell it, and find what you want...Something you can modify without guilt! lol. 

However, as I am finding out with selling my car, rare doesn't always mean people will be knocking down your door.. I am not dissing your car, as I have the exact same (only non y84) setup.
To the right person who understands the car's significance, the car will easily sell at what you are asking. To the general car guy, who wants a Trans Am, and happens to find your 4 speed car listed, the rarity doesn't really matter. He doesn't understand that there were only 213 made, and probably many less still on the road.  That's what I'm finding out selling mine. If fact, the other day, a guy came over and looked at my car. I told him my bottom dollar, and he said, "There's no way I'd give you that, your car has a 301, and it needs tons of work! I know where there's a '79 403 car for 1500 and I can drive it home! It would outrun your 301 any day!"  I told him, yeah, but it isn't a 4 speed/301/ttop/ac car... I know where there is a '81 Honda for $500 and it has 20K original miles and nice paint! It's all in what the person is looking for.
You wouldn't pay 8K for a 84 base model camaro PROJECT CAR, but 8K for a '69 camaro project car is a pretty decent buy. Why? Because of WHAT IT IS.

Most guys on C-list are just looking for a car "like the one in smokey and the bandit". So what if it has a 350 chevy, or the wrong year nose? It goes fast and looks like that bandit car, right?

Your car will sell. You just have to wait for the guy who knows what it is. He will pay the asking price if he is set on owning a '79 Y84 301 T/A. Why? 'cause there are only 213 ever made. Don't like the price? Tell him to go find another one.

If you need it gone NOW, you'd  have to lower the price enough for even the average car guy to think it's a good deal.

Rarity is only valuable to the right buyer. For instance, my dad was selling a '70 Rallye 350 he had owned for awhile. It was one of 3500 or so. Definately a cool car. Most people never offered even close to his $12,500 asking price. Why? Because they just saw a yellow Cutlass. It was a very nice car, with its original 350. Any car guy would know to not to let a '70 Chevelle LS6 priced at 12,500(just for the sake of an example) slip away. They would rob a bank if they didn't have the money to take advantage of a once-in-a-lifetime deal like that.. EVERYONE and their brother knows that a LS6 chevelle is a valuable car. It is an established classic. That's common knowledge. Here's the catch. There were 4,475 1970 Ls6 cars built. There were only 3,547 Rallye 350s made. That makes the Rallye 350 "rarer". So why didn't someone jump on my dad's car? Because it is only valuable to an Oldsmobile lover, or someone who knows what it is. It's not a "mainstream" classic like the LS6.

Likewise, Trans Ams haven't become "established collector cars" yet. They are on their way, though. In a few years, $3,000 for a '79 Y84 301/4 speed car will be an absolute STEAL to ANYONE who even likes cars, because the general car guy will know that it is rare.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:52:34 PM by UnderDog403 »
NOT INVESTMENTS.
1977 Trans Am hardtop 400 auto
1979 Trans Am T-top 403
1997 Trans Am M6

Offline UnderDog403

• Phil 4:13
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 03:29:05 PM »
Heck, if you wanted a less rare car, come get mine! I'll trade ya! ;D ;D ;D
NOT INVESTMENTS.
1977 Trans Am hardtop 400 auto
1979 Trans Am T-top 403
1997 Trans Am M6

Offline GT-Performer

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 08:39:56 PM »
If you were closer I would trade my Mustang in a heartbeat.  I would even throw in an '82 Silver Streak or an '86 Cru Jones tribute!
  Lol....you on the Museum? Im pretty sure your the guy selling the Cru plates on ebay??  Ive seen your bike (i think)...I love that build!!! Im acually working on one, its a Expert with the Cru parts (clone).

Offline GT-Performer

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 08:40:44 PM »
Heck, if you wanted a less rare car, come get mine! I'll trade ya! ;D ;D ;D
That would be a heck of a road trip man!

Offline GT-Performer

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 08:41:56 PM »
I wouldn't modify something that rare. If it is a real Y84, factory 4 speed 301 car, then yes, if the figures are accurate, she's a rare bird. If you don't want to restore it, sell it, and find what you want...Something you can modify without guilt! lol. 

However, as I am finding out with selling my car, rare doesn't always mean people will be knocking down your door.. I am not dissing your car, as I have the exact same (only non y84) setup.
To the right person who understands the car's significance, the car will easily sell at what you are asking. To the general car guy, who wants a Trans Am, and happens to find your 4 speed car listed, the rarity doesn't really matter. He doesn't understand that there were only 213 made, and probably many less still on the road.  That's what I'm finding out selling mine. If fact, the other day, a guy came over and looked at my car. I told him my bottom dollar, and he said, "There's no way I'd give you that, your car has a 301, and it needs tons of work! I know where there's a '79 403 car for 1500 and I can drive it home! It would outrun your 301 any day!"  I told him, yeah, but it isn't a 4 speed/301/ttop/ac car... I know where there is a '81 Honda for $500 and it has 20K original miles and nice paint! It's all in what the person is looking for.
You wouldn't pay 8K for a 84 base model camaro PROJECT CAR, but 8K for a '69 camaro project car is a pretty decent buy. Why? Because of WHAT IT IS.

Most guys on C-list are just looking for a car "like the one in smokey and the bandit". So what if it has a 350 chevy, or the wrong year nose? It goes fast and looks like that bandit car, right?

Your car will sell. You just have to wait for the guy who knows what it is. He will pay the asking price if he is set on owning a '79 Y84 301 T/A. Why? 'cause there are only 213 ever made. Don't like the price? Tell him to go find another one.

If you need it gone NOW, you'd  have to lower the price enough for even the average car guy to think it's a good deal.

Rarity is only valuable to the right buyer. For instance, my dad was selling a '70 Rallye 350 he had owned for awhile. It was one of 3500 or so. Definately a cool car. Most people never offered even close to his $12,500 asking price. Why? Because they just saw a yellow Cutlass. It was a very nice car, with its original 350. Any car guy would know to not to let a '70 Chevelle LS6 priced at 12,500(just for the sake of an example) slip away. They would rob a bank if they didn't have the money to take advantage of a once-in-a-lifetime deal like that.. EVERYONE and their brother knows that a LS6 chevelle is a valuable car. It is an established classic. That's common knowledge. Here's the catch. There were 4,475 1970 Ls6 cars built. There were only 3,547 Rallye 350s made. That makes the Rallye 350 "rarer". So why didn't someone jump on my dad's car? Because it is only valuable to an Oldsmobile lover, or someone who knows what it is. It's not a "mainstream" classic like the LS6.

Likewise, Trans Ams haven't become "established collector cars" yet. They are on their way, though. In a few years, $3,000 for a '79 Y84 301/4 speed car will be an absolute STEAL to ANYONE who even likes cars, because the general car guy will know that it is rare.
  Thanks for all the advise bud, and i totally get what your saying, and totally agree 100%

Offline GT-Performer

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 08:44:04 PM »
do you have to have t top? I have a 79 esprit hardtop with a 301 auto trans.... solid solid car.... I can trade if you are interested?
Sorry and thanks for the offer, really, thanks.....Im getting closer! lol.....but yea, it has to be a Ttop....the ladies love it! LOL