Author Topic: What Next???  (Read 2692 times)

Offline basil_spinone

What Next???
« on: December 18, 2007, 06:31:01 AM »
ok, so I've stripped the majority of the bodywork from my TA. The Interior is out and every panel bar the doors are off. So the question is......what next? Should I take the engine out or take it off with the front clip as i've seen some people do?

I also found a nice patch of original chesterfield brown under the wing. Its actually quite a nice colour (for a brown) and a lot more metallic than i thought. Its also very 70's, so I think the screaming chicken may end up being her original colour.

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
Re: What Next???
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 07:00:08 AM »
Well that's a little difficult to answer as it depends on your plans. Are you doing a frame off? Frame on? What are your plans for the firewall? The car?

If it were me I'd pull the engine and trans before pulling the subframe just to make it a little more manageable to do.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 08:53:01 AM »
I agree with Brian.  It's not hard to pull an engine/transmission even if the front end is not disassembled, so unless your plans include stripping it all the way down you could just pull the engine now and then clean up around in there.  If you're going down to the lowet level and rebuild from there, however, it'd be a different story. :-\

Offline basil_spinone

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 06:19:28 PM »
Well, originally I was just going to try and get her roadworthy. But, being the way I am, I like to do things "properly" and have decided to have a go at a full frame off bare metal rebuild. I'm still a novice when it comes to auto mechanics so you guys are probably going to get quite a few stupid questions over the coming months/years. It will be a lot longer before I ever get to drive the car this way, but I think it will be more worthwhile and gratifying in then end.

so, engine/tranny out first then?

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 07:18:28 PM »
Well...if you're going to tear it all apart anyway, I'd do that first and pulll the engine/tranny after the other stuff is out of the way.  It would certainly be easier to get at everything on the engine/tranny, but it's only less work to pull the engine then IF you're NOT taking everything else apart.  But given that you are, I'd wait on pulling the engine until the other stuff is off.

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 10:21:18 PM »
Make sure you post lots of pics and stuff, I'm next.
Rich

Offline 1979T/A6.6

• Classic is Cool ;)
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 12:18:55 AM »
yeah take the radiator support off first, this way you can just lift the motor a bit and slide it straight out.  just make sure to disconnect everything, theres alot of wires and lines.  it kinda gets confusing and even though you can by manual its a good idea to label all the wires and lines running around.   
Sal
'79 T/A 6.6 in resto
Restoration Progress Thread

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 12:28:18 AM »
Pull the core support/front bumper brackets, etc...pull engine/tranny out as one unit...I'd leave on the sub frame if you plan to do much bodywork/cutting/new sheet metal (it will help keep the car balanced and straight for panel alignment plus makes it easier to roll the car about as needed)...do the work on the body...pull sub frame for detailing/rebuilding front suspension....etc...etc

Installation is reverse of removal....but takes a LOT longer LOL  ;D

Good luck!!  ;)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Sir english firebird

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member. proud to be
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 07:13:53 PM »
Ive got to agree with Jeff.
If your planning on messing with the structure of the car then try to leave as much "RIGIDITY" in the shell as possible, especially if you plan to replace panel work. I e leave the front clip/ subframe attatched to the car.
Andrew if your gonna pull the engine, leave the transmission attatched its easier!

How far away are you? You never know i may pop up for a cuppa !! lol
Power is nothing without Control.

Steve, :-)
1979 Trans am.

( no point in adding what else i keep changing them ! )