Author Topic: Venting about my 79 S.E. re-paint  (Read 10010 times)

Offline Helter80

Re: Venting about my 79 S.E. re-paint
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 11:02:46 PM »
Sounds like they are messing with you.  Looking at Helters pic his bird is facing the pass side, as does mine.

yes, the bird is supposed to face the passenger side. at least on a 79
www.transamplus.com
Rob

79 Trans Am- Nocturne Blue,T-Tops,403,Camel Tan Deluxe Interior

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008, 09:47:44 AM »
Here's a pic of my 78, well the CAR is a 78, anyway

Now, bear in mind that I'm not at all sure that that's the correct bird for my car, either.

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline Starsky

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2008, 02:18:23 PM »
It's kinda funny. He was telling me my bird was wrong as I was driving down the interstate. I had no access to the internet and he sounded so sure. I usually try to avoid immediatly going to  "No you're wrong" unless I know I can provide evidence. So I gave him the "Hmmm I don't think so, I know I bought the bird for a 79, and I know this site has real experts who can point out the Trans Am decal on the fender is 1/8 " too far to the left, so its highly unlikely its wrong, BUT..I'll check. Sure enough, within a minute of hitting a computer I establish that a 77 looks towards the driver, a 79 looks towards the passenger, and all is right with the world again. So ithe painter obviously has dealt with 76, or  77 to say that, he just wasn't up to snuff compared to the people who actually own or restore them.       
9 Special Edition per PHS
403 T-Top

Offline crazy2

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2008, 10:42:15 PM »
They hand sanded it down to metal --- Whats another week right?
honestly i believe a shop should have it to bare metal in 1 to 2 days, its the easy work- (they must not like to see progress,or get paid by the hour,and are nailing there boss
Well, its July 17th, 4 MONTHS later, and its still in the shop-?
sorry i don't think i would have let it go that long
tachrev.com- you can check here on the bird stickers

sorry to hear about the long process ,and loss of parts

Offline crazy2

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2008, 10:49:04 PM »
birds looking to the right look crappy- i thought they were all knock offs  ? used 2 years? sounds fishy

Offline norwood

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2008, 11:28:26 AM »
So I get a call from the owner. He says the outsourced guy showed up to inspect my car. He immediatly says "The Birds wrong" and proceeds to tell the shop owner the bird head is facing the wrong way, it should be facing the drivers side. And also its a cheap imitation because its not vinyl and should be outlined in black, not clear. Thats the reason it has crinkles in it, its not a quality reproduction...

This is the phoenix graphix bird I got from this site... So you tell me... Is this starting off on the wrong foot or what? I don't know if his confusing my 79 bird with a 77 bird means he isnt a good body/painter, but I sure wish he hadn't said that..

How can anybody question the quality of a PG decal is beyond me.............Things that make me go HMM......
OUR DAY IS COMING SOON

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2008, 11:47:51 AM »
birds looking to the right look crappy- i thought they were all knock offs  ? used 2 years? sounds fishy

What sounds fishy?  That they only used it for 2 years?
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline crazy2

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 09:53:47 PM »

i thought pontiac wouldn't allow them to change the bird, and that they were not going to keep the trans am in production
nothing to you or your car i just dont like the left sided birds
patents/registered trademark stuff

Offline Starsky

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2008, 04:09:54 PM »
Update...

the shop has repainted most of the car. This meant I had to buy another set of decals practically, but the shop is paying for them. Brett helped out on some specific odds and ends I needed to complete what was needed. I am happy with the repaint. It still needs to be buffed but from what I saw it was a vast improvement over what it was. I won't hazard a guess on when it will be ready for pickup because that would be futile, however I think I'm getting close.   
403 T-Top

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2008, 04:16:52 PM »
Update...

the shop has repainted most of the car. This meant I had to buy another set of decals practically, but the shop is paying for them. Brett helped out on some specific odds and ends I needed to complete what was needed. I am happy with the repaint. It still needs to be buffed but from what I saw it was a vast improvement over what it was. I won't hazard a guess on when it will be ready for pickup because that would be futile, however I think I'm getting close.   

Good to hear that you're getting some satisfaction, finally. Keep us posted, and shoot us some pics when she's done :)

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2008, 02:30:12 PM »

i thought pontiac wouldn't allow them to change the bird, and that they were not going to keep the trans am in production
nothing to you or your car i just dont like the left sided birds
patents/registered trademark stuff

I still don't understand since Pontiac is the one that changed it.....LOL
Dave
_______

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2008, 02:30:55 PM »
Thats aweosme they did the right thing, I hope you are happy with the end result
Dave
_______

Offline Starsky

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2008, 05:13:16 PM »
Car is still at the shop. I called and spoke to the owner yesterday and he told me the painter painted the mirrors the wrong black..I think he said it had metallic in the paint so it has to be redone. I really expected something like that so it came as no surprise. I'm told it will be ready for pickup on Wednesday. It's just a question of which wednesday :) 
403 T-Top

Offline Helter80

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2008, 05:21:38 PM »
cool. keep us informed and show us some pics!
www.transamplus.com
Rob

79 Trans Am- Nocturne Blue,T-Tops,403,Camel Tan Deluxe Interior

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2008, 02:24:12 PM »
Keep on them but it sounds like they're finally doing right by you. Pics??

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone