Author Topic: Aftermarket starter fitment problems  (Read 2124 times)

Offline dgilleland

Aftermarket starter fitment problems
« on: August 29, 2007, 09:57:24 PM »
Hey

I am in the process of doing some engine upgrades to my 79TA (400) and purchased a summit brand mini hi torque starter since my compression will be around 10.0:1.  I guess maby this is overkill but my stock type unit sometimes gets heat soaked from the headers and I figured this my help.  Well although it is lighter and has adjustability I can not for the life of me get a good fit.  I am open to advise weather my factory type starter which is top shelf pep boys will do the job.  Part of the problem is that the factory type starter has the battery / solenoid connections at the end and the summit unit is on the side.  Maby I just need to play with it more but it is being a PITA.   

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Aftermarket starter fitment problems
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 10:28:46 PM »
Well...it's been a while, and I can't tell you which of the 25 pages of the thread it's on, but BAN ONE over at TAC put a mini-starter on his TA.  He posted all the gory details in the thread, IIRC.  You might want to do a little browsing over there for yourself. :-\ :-\

http://www.transamcountry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 11:10:25 PM »
Are you using shims?
A heat shield is a good idea, too...
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline dgilleland

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 11:06:44 AM »
Thanks for the TAC link it looks like some machining took place to get manufactures gear tolerance.  I have not used any shims but maby will try shiming the outermost starter bolt to tighten gear mesh clearence up. Another problem is that the starter motor to solenoid wire is on the outboard side and sits aganist the header when I adjust the battery connection (Inboard side) so that there is clearence from the oil pan. 

Offline rad400

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 08:00:06 PM »
make sure u have on for a pontiac I bought one from summit and it was for a chevy
Conrad
79 Trans am 400 t400 3500 stall #12 heads holley 750 vac carb. Torker II intake 3:73:1 gears 12 bolt rear.