Author Topic: Battery is Draining?  (Read 10194 times)

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: Battery is Draining?
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2009, 10:44:44 AM »
That light brown wire with the white stripe remains a single into the bulkhead, doesn't it?  I think without rally gauges there's two wires at that bulkhead connector.

Anyway, I've been thinking about your problem.  What I would do is try to pass a wire through an empty slot in the bulkhead connector.  There should be room.  Once I got a wire through, I would crimp an eyelet to the engine side and connect that in place of the current brown wire.  Then I would pull the orange wire out of the connector and solder the other end of that alternator wire to it.  That way, you're bypassing all the burned stuff.

Tape the new wire along with the wire harness that already goes to the bulkhead connector from the engine side.  And tape the new wire to the orange wire on the interior side.

Offline mikeb78ta

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2009, 11:11:58 AM »
Yes the Brown Wire was a single going to the connector at the bulkhead.  The wire itself was burned to the connnector so I went ahead and removed the fuse block to get to it.  When I removed the connector from the slot CX it was fine so I pulled  a whole new run from there and re-soldered the new wire with the Orange wire.  Everything else seems to be looking fine. 

I just got your new post, so what I'll do is go back and make the changes you suggested and let you know how it goes when I'm done.  I want to get this done and fire it up to make sure everything is going to work properly.  Thanks again...
1978 Trans Am 403 WS6, BLack, Camel Deluxe Interior

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2009, 02:56:55 PM »
I think that brown wire is for the field circuit going to the alternator.   
Mine was fried like that too which is one of the reason's I replaced the whole wiring harness under the dash (along with 4-5 other cuts in the harness).
Anyway, when I started my car before I replaced the harness, I would have to gun the engine to get the alternator to start charging.   
Thats probably why you are having a battery drain.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2009, 03:31:03 PM »
Yes the Brown Wire was a single going to the connector at the bulkhead.  The wire itself was burned to the connnector so I went ahead and removed the fuse block to get to it.  When I removed the connector from the slot CX it was fine so I pulled  a whole new run from there and re-soldered the new wire with the Orange wire.  Everything else seems to be looking fine. 

I just got your new post, so what I'll do is go back and make the changes you suggested and let you know how it goes when I'm done.  I want to get this done and fire it up to make sure everything is going to work properly.  Thanks again...

Don't change what you did.  I think the way you did it would work.  Yes, that's the field circuit Eagle.  I forgot you had problems with that.

Offline mikeb78ta

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2009, 03:54:09 PM »
Well I am happy to inform that I changed out the bad wire and I think it may have fixed a few of the other problems I had.  My fan stops running when I shut the car down.  My windows no longer work without the key in the ignition.  There are no longer any burns in any of the runs and while I was at it I re taped any of the runs under the dash that looked rough.  Thanks for all the help.  I hope this isn't just a short term fix, but a long term one.
1978 Trans Am 403 WS6, BLack, Camel Deluxe Interior