Author Topic: The Problems Continue...My new 1971 Trans Am  (Read 35631 times)

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
Re: The Problems Continue...My new 1971 Trans Am
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2012, 05:16:43 PM »
Ok I'll put my .02 in here

One thing that nobody has really mentioned is how long the PO ran the thing with the bad modulator. He could have driven it for YEARS with the thing running tranny fluid into exhaust. You do that over an extended period that muffler and the exhaust is going to load up with tranny fluid. Running it will turn that stuff sticky and gooey, and when the engine and exhaust cools off it sets up. Well do that for a number of years and your whole exhaust gets coated with this cooked gunk thats gonna smoke when it gets hot.

Perhaps (and this is just an opinion and that and a nickle will get you a cut of coffee anywhere in the world), you might try firing it up with open headers/exhaust manifolds to see if it's smoking directly off the engine. That way you can see if there IS an engine problem, or if it's just cooking collected tranny fluid out of the exhaust.

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2012, 05:46:14 PM »
oh ok.. oil in the exhaust... heres your solution..... use some form of oil absorber... sand, kitty litter, sawdust, and with the engine running at 4500 rpm where it occurs, dump a 5lb bag in slowly to the carburetor... as its going through your exhaust system itll grab any oil and shoot out the exhaust.... then your problem is solved! and make sure you get the stuff thats not gonna cause wear to the muffler bearing....

After doing this would I still need to yell an echo into muffler to check bearing or does this fix that too? I would like to get two things fixed at once.
geesh, 2 things at once
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2012, 07:34:17 PM »
U'd be surprised to know exactly how talented our Mr. Justin is!!!!!
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline Striker

« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Y'all are being stupid, think about it, when have you EVER heard of an oil going to the muffler in the exhaust system, unless you poured a bottle in it and we're parked on a steep grade, or pumped straight fluid through the engine WITHOUT it running which would cause more damage than move fluid then it's impossible!

Ok, Took it to another RESPECTED mechanic, who only works with older cars. Can't argue he is the Best of the Best. Known him forver, just a little bit far from me.   First off, there is DEF Still a TON of Trans Fluid in the muffler and pipes. Pulled apart, and nothing but black burnt greasy trans fluid. It is baked on all the way through the exhaust and out the pipes. Cleaned up the best we could. This was the reason all the smoke poured out the first time when the modulator went bad. This is still producing some smoke, but its not the cause of the smoke at high Rpm at deceleration.

He went through my engine and looked at pistons, and eveything else and thinks my car has Roller rockers. After looking over the engine closely and taking for a drive, he came to the conclusion my engine was built for one reason...1/4 mile.  He suspects when lifting at High RPM, there is a little oil that gets into the engine and creates the smoke.

Some things He looked first to rule out was the Vac lines. There was no fluid going through the lines to create the smoke. 2) Brake Fluid. Says sometimes Brake fluid can cause this if the booster or cylinder (dont remember what he said) malfunctions. 3rd and final would be the valves.

Simply put, its a combination of things, but I will be going to a lower gear soon, and hopefully that will keep the RPMs Down and cut back on the smoke as well. I will be on the expressway a lot traveling to shows, and I do not like cruising at 70 mph while running at 4000 RPM. Thats a little to high for me. Thanks again for all the replies on this problem.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:45:45 PM by Striker »
1971 Lucerne Blue Trans Am   455

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2012, 11:07:26 PM »
I normally try to refrain from being negative openly but if thats what your mechanic said I am very afraid for you.

Did he really find out that you have rockers? Did the original owner keep that from you?

Also, did he pull all the pistons and inspect or just a few?? I bet he didnt pull them all.

Also, judging from the amount of fluid you say is in the exhaust you would be pouring brake fluid in the master cylinder at every redlight.

Do yourself a favor and ask around for a local mechanic that knows a little bit about cars. Try to find a guy that doesn't mind explaining in detail to you exactly what he thinks is wrong and how he plans to fix it. At the very least buy yourself a chiltons manual and keep it in the bathroom. Finally when seeking advice remember less is more when it comes to number of chiefs involved or else you'll be chasing your tail all the time.

Why should you listen to me??? I know I'm not very bright but I'm old and I have been paying attention as I went along.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2012, 11:58:44 PM »
U'd be surprised to know exactly how talented our Mr. Justin is!!!!!

Hey now...what are you trying to say? I've been told I am pretty darn good
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Striker

« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2012, 12:02:50 AM »
Yup. 100% sure it has Rockers

And its trans Fluid reside from the bad modulator

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2012, 12:08:32 AM »
no comment....  I am going to refrain from making any comments about how stupid the mechanic is... just let it be known that it seems that alot of what you were told were EXTREME what-if comments...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Striker

« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2012, 12:31:45 AM »
no comment....  I am going to refrain from making any comments about how stupid the mechanic is... just let it be known that it seems that alot of what you were told were EXTREME what-if comments...

thats fine, everyone has their own opinion. i would trust him with anything car related over anyone else. no questions asked. absolute best there is. People come from outta state just to have him redo their car.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:45:45 AM by Striker »

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2012, 12:36:03 AM »
I honestly think Gunner is on to Something.  Maybe the other guy got rid of it bcuz it couldn't figure out the problem?  Question?  How much are you spending on all this checking?  If Gunner and You are correct and it is Trans Residue, couldn't you just replace the Mufflers or Exhaust Piping that is affected?  Maybe I am simplifying it too much?

Offline Striker

« Reply #145 on: April 15, 2012, 12:44:16 AM »
I honestly think Gunner is on to Something.  Maybe the other guy got rid of it bcuz it couldn't figure out the problem?  Question?  How much are you spending on all this checking?  If Gunner and You are correct and it is Trans Residue, couldn't you just replace the Mufflers or Exhaust Piping that is affected?  Maybe I am simplifying it too much?

Well my mechanic I saw today did the Carb, fixed vac lines, adjusted throttle and fixed celonoid shaker all while looking at my other issues for Nothing. The guy is a complete stand up Guy whos only passion is cars. I agree that Gunner may be on to something. I only had the car on the road a day or 2 before it went bad because of the fire.

The Trans fluid is burning out of the pipes now. They are starting to looks somewhat normal. Its an all Stainless Exhaust, so I would rather not replace haha.
 I honestly do believe the PO sold the car knowing it was problematic. He only had it 2 years, so maybe he got fed up?  Idk, but I wont. I will get this car Running Perfect as long as its in his hands. :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:47:01 PM by Striker »

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #146 on: April 15, 2012, 01:02:04 AM »
Well my mechanic I saw today retimed the Carb, fixed vac lines, adjuste throttle and fixed celonoid shaker all while looking at my other issues for Nothing. The guy is a complete stand up Guy whos only passion is cars. I agree that Gunner may be on to something. I only had the car on the road a day or 2 before it went bad because of the fire.

I hope you have just mis typed ALOT or you got a few things confused...
you cannot ever re-time a carb, re jet yes, adjust some screws yes, but never re-time
the throttle is not adjustable on these cars, cables are one length and made that way, the only possible thing would be to raise or lower the idle speed...
Eroc

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #147 on: April 15, 2012, 01:06:46 AM »
Ok So No New exhaust!  Maybe some kind of additive to help burn it out the exhaust quicker?  Or at least Cleaner?

Offline Striker

« Reply #148 on: April 15, 2012, 01:16:41 AM »
Thanks for making things clear. im the first to admit im an idiot on these cars but i know he did a lot and it runs 20x bettrt
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:20:30 AM by Striker »

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #149 on: April 15, 2012, 01:33:10 AM »
Thanks for making things clear. im the first to admit im an idiot on these cars but i know he did a lot and it runs 20x bettrt

I dont want to put you down or anything, but then again I dont want to see somebody being told something wrong and getting ripped off...
Eroc