Author Topic: Fuel and battery gauge light not lighting. Does main gauge need to be hooked up?  (Read 618 times)

Offline Dinero

• SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI "
Does the main gauge cluster have to be hooked up completely before the light for the secondary gauge lights up?
While putting the secondary gauge back in, I noticed that the gauge light will not light. The choke light does work.
Now, is the wiring for the secondary gauge somehow connected to the main gauge wiring?
I have not hooked up the main gauge cause I need it to be out in order to work on the secondary gauge wiring hook up. But the light not working has stopped me from putting in the main gauge.
For now I am going to finish hooking up the secondary gauge and the main gauge to see if the main gauge does affect the wiring to the secondary gauge light.
Please feel free to weigh in on this issue. thank you.
Desi Dinero

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
Should work by itself, but it needs to be grounded. The choke light is insulated so it does not ground to the fuel/volt cluster casing. I think the ground is part of the fuel gauge harness not the volt meter. Just guessing your fuel gauge harness wasn't grounded to the dash. I think its a small pigtail that connects to the metal part of the dash.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.