Author Topic: Help with Quadrajet install (pics included!)  (Read 7560 times)

Offline ZachAttack77TA

• If it's not fast, it's not fun!
Help with Quadrajet install (pics included!)
« on: April 09, 2010, 12:22:33 AM »
Hey guys, I finally got my Jet stage 2 Quadrajet! :)

Just wondering about a few things, first off, do this gasket look kinda weird? It's about 3/8 thick and I figured it was too large and wouldn't allow the shaker to sit right when it was all together. Am I better off getting a thinner gasket before I install it?

Secondly, what size bolts should I use to mount it? The ones in front are the same as the ones that are on my Carter AFB, but the rear bolts need to be considerably longer. Is a bolt set something I can pick up at a local Autozone/Checker/Pep Boys/Napa store?

Also, (third and last question I promise) are all the vacuum routing lines and other bits just a quick changeover? (I'll get a pic without the shaker on today).

Thanks for all your help!
1997 Grand Am
1995 Trans Am
1977 Trans Am

Offline HOMER

• Adv. Member
  • Brown Bandit lol
Re: Help with Quadrajet install (pics included!)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 07:37:01 AM »
gasket kooks right from here ... how are you gonna run the fuel line? the inlet is facing the wrong way isnt it?
She's a Winner

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 11:41:57 AM »
Don't worry about the gasket thickness -- that small difference won't matter to the shaker.

The carb pictured is for a Chevrolet.  The BOP Quadrajets have the fuel inlet coming straight off the front center of the carb, not pointed off to the passenger side like Chevy did.  If you already knew that, you can make it work -- but if you THOUGHT you were buying a Qjet for a Pontiac or Olds, somebody shipped you the wrong one.  If you're running a Chevy engine then it's correct, but if you wanted a "correct" one for a BOP engine you should raise the flag now before it's installed.

A trip to the hardware store is your best bet for finding the bolts.  They're just standard threads and nothing special, so you're more likely to find them there than at an auto parts store.

Offline Maryland Bandit

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 11:56:15 AM »
That rubber line and glass fuel filter on that hot intake is a fire waiting to happen. Go all steel with the lines and sleep better.
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am # 592
1979 Y84 S/E - sold

Offline RestoRob

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 02:09:55 PM »
5/16 - 18 bolts. Insert a small wooden dowel into the manifold bolt holes to determine the depth, add what the carb measures, and voila.
Now that's an attention getter.

Offline ZachAttack77TA

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 04:14:56 PM »
So what do I need to make the fuel inlet work? Any special routing? (I have a metal fuel filter on order as well). The carb will still function correctly regardless, right?
1997 Grand Am
1995 Trans Am
1977 Trans Am

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 04:48:57 PM »
before you go any farther, did you check if your air cleaner for the 400 will fit that carb ?  your new carb look like a olds or chevy setup. 
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline Maryland Bandit

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 04:54:30 PM »
Aircleaners will fit, its the side linkages and the threaded rear vacuum port that need to match up. If its a Chevy carb going on a Pontiac or Olds motor,the fuel pump to carb inlet is going to have to be a custom bent one with a 3/8" line. It can, and has, been done. Won't look pretty. but a whole lost safer then rubber.
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am # 592
1979 Y84 S/E - sold

Offline ZachAttack77TA

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 05:48:27 PM »
Well, the car originally came with a Quadrajet so I'm pretty sure the linkage will clear the air cleaner/shaker assembly.

So can I use a rubber line to get by until I get some custom lines? If it's a lot of trouble, I may just send the carb back to Jet.
1997 Grand Am
1995 Trans Am
1977 Trans Am

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 09:45:49 PM »
If you told them you wanted it for a 77 TA with a 400, then I would get the seller to have it picked up and send one for a Pontiac. Even though you could make it work, you shouldn't have to. It's just not right that they sent a Chevy q-jet for a Pontiac.
Steve F.

Offline ZachAttack77TA

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 06:26:22 PM »
Okay, as promised, here's some more pics. (I got a metal fuel filter too!)

I'm working on painting the valve covers right now. Thanks for all your inpout, guys. I e-mailed Jet and asked what was up with them sending me a Chevy one.
1997 Grand Am
1995 Trans Am
1977 Trans Am

Offline TN-T/A

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 04:25:19 AM »
That's a Carter not a Rochester. And its not even the same carb as the first pic you posted. I run a Rochester Q-jet off a '70 model C-10 350. Not by choice, its what was on it when I bought it. Anyway, it seems to do ok, just wish for better throttle response and wish my secondaries would dump faster. I'm not sure about Carters though.
1978 Trans Am, 400, auto, resto-mod/pro-touring work in progress - Driver not a show car
1996 Chevy Z71- daily driver
2009 G8 GT, 6.0L, auto, stock, wife's car - WOW!

Offline ZachAttack77TA

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 06:28:02 PM »
That's a Carter not a Rochester. And its not even the same carb as the first pic you posted. I run a Rochester Q-jet off a '70 model C-10 350. Not by choice, its what was on it when I bought it. Anyway, it seems to do ok, just wish for better throttle response and wish my secondaries would dump faster. I'm not sure about Carters though.

I know, that's my old one (The Carter) I bought the Quadrajet to swap it since the Carter's only 600cfm and it sucks! The Quadrajet is refinished to Jet's stage 2 performance specs so it's not an old tired one. Everyone here was pretty much pointing me towards them as it turns they're pretty great carbs. I hope to get it on this weekend and I'll let you guys know how it runs.
1997 Grand Am
1995 Trans Am
1977 Trans Am