Author Topic: harmonic balancer  (Read 4689 times)

Offline 78 T/A

harmonic balancer
« on: September 24, 2006, 11:02:03 AM »
I just dropped in my pontiac 400 and noticed that the harmonic balancer has a slight wobble to it.  I asked a friend of mine and he said it was no big deal.  Do I have a problem or shouldn't I worry? :oops:
78 T/A-W72 400, 4-speed, WS6

13.80 @102.8

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
harmonic balancer
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 11:29:17 AM »
I think you're better off changing it.  If it wobbles it could cause engine damage.

Offline fb_rider

harmonic balancer
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 10:35:18 PM »
Performance Years has them for $40 now.
1977 Trans Am SE w/W72 engine (sold)
1999 Trans Am Anniversary Edition #953 (sold)
2000 Trans Am Firehawk #263

Offline 81BlackTA

harmonic balancer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 04:58:38 PM »
A wobbly balancer is a huge deal. I wouldn't even start the engine until it was replaced. Balancers cause catastophic failure to cranks, blocks, bearings, etc. Do yourself a favour and replace it right away. If you are running a few extra ponies, an aftermarket damper like ATI or Fluidamper are an excellent choice. We just tore down a 400 hp furd 302 last night and the balancer was at fault for breaking the crank, block and a whole other list of goodies. I have a fluidamper on mine and it has no rubber ring in it, just some silicone like fluid inside a sealed steel case. They also make a less expensive version called Streetdamper. About $160 if I recall.
1 WS4 TA
ZZZ Roller 350
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge G1 Heads
XR264HR Comp Cam and valve train
Performer intake
TH350 3:08 posi
4 Wheel Disc

Offline 78 T/A

harmonic balancer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 05:39:42 PM »
I called the guy that built the motor and he told me don't worry about it because the motor itself is internally balanced and that a slight wobble isn't a big deal.  Judging though by what you guys said, I'm going to go ahead and replace it.  Just a little insurance.

13.80 @102.8

Offline cobray

• You don't want to make me angry!
harmonic balancer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 09:22:48 AM »
How hard is it to replace the HAr balencer?

My rebuilt engine had a new one.  I used a stainless steel bolt kit and used the bolts marked crank pully.  
They seemed to go in hadt, 3 went in ok but one broke off half way in.  Hourd later with an EZ out I got it out.
I looked at the old bolts and notesed they were fine threads, not course lik ethe new ones.
I tapped the holes and pur new hardened corse threads in and they torqed nice at 25 ft lbs.

This bothers me but many people told me not to worry.

Souns like a big job to replace the balencer.  I thing it is pressed fit.

Jeff
1976 TA SE(clone)
Purchased: Aug 1982
Sat & Rusted away for 20 years
REBORN!!!!: Aug 2007 (after 3 years of restoration)
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee80/jlittlef/

Offline 78 T/A

harmonic balancer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 11:54:33 AM »
Thanks, I haven't done anything yet but I'll take that into consideration.

13.80 @102.8

Offline Eagle 1

harmonic balancer
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 08:46:35 PM »
I just replaced my balancer last weekend and it only took about 2 hours start to finish.  
I got an OEM balancer from Autozone for $102, dont buy the cheaper ones!  This is to important of a part to go cheap on.
Heres how its done.
1. put the car on ramps or jack stands in the front
2. drop the spoiler in the front
3. loosen and move your belts out of the way
4. loosen the fan shroud both top and bottom, then from underneath the car lift up the radiator and fan shroud to have easier access to the harmonic balancer, there is no need to drain the radiator if you just lift it a little to move the fan shroud
5. remove the four pully bolts and take off the pulleys from the harmonic balancer, dont forget to keep them in order
6. tricky part:  you can use a 1/2 impact to remove the balacer bolt, just wedge it in between the fan shroud and  hb.
7. most harmonic balancer's will pry off without much effort.  Occasionally you may have to use a small steering wheel puller to get it off.

To install, do the reversal of the steps with the exception:
DO NOT TIGHTEN THE HARMONIC BALANCER WITH AN IMPACT.  
You will need to torque it to 160 lbs.  To do this it will be necessary to have somebody hold the flywheel end of the crankshaft with a large screwdriver.
A couple of other things to consider; while you have it off you may want to change the front main seal.  It can be done this way, but you must use care if you plan on installing it with out removing the timing cover.
Also, dont forget to oil up the new harmonic balancer before installing it.
Alxe grease works good for this.  
Finally recheck your engine timing once your done  It is almost always off a little.

Hope this helps.  I know after I changed mine, the wobble was gone, the engine idled smoother, and my timing was about 2 degrees off before.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."