Author Topic: Electrical issues  (Read 559 times)

Offline ronj1977

Electrical issues
« on: May 22, 2011, 10:25:38 PM »
A couple of weeks ago i was driving along at night and my car all of a sudden died,while i was doing about 50 mph i tried pumping the gas a couple of times while i was still coasting and i coasted down to about 25 when all of a sudden it started again kinda like turning the ignition off waiting a sec then turning it back on and it starts running with out engaging the starter ? (fast forward to today) I've been driving it a few miles here and there no problems today i drove it for about 30 mi around town and then i noticed my volt gage going crazy i didnt loose power but a couple of times my stereo powered off then on again.I stopped got gas then started it and ran fine all the way home parked it in driveway messed around trying to figure out where the loose wire was and now when i try to start the car i got no power. The battery is less than a 2 weeks old. Any ideas as to what might be going on. I have a feeling but would like some input from you guys.

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
Re: Electrical issues
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:28:58 PM »
you have 2 wires that come from your firewall harness.  the 2 wires run up over the inner fender , one go's to the battery and the other to the alt.  they will be in that flex wire covering.  check the wires to see if they have melted together.

check your fuse block for a bypassed fuse. like with a gum wrapper or a penny.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline jjr

• Tech Staff
  • Fort Worth, Texas
    • The 301 Garage
Re: Electrical issues
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 04:16:10 PM »
 Sounds like somewhere you have a bigger circuit grounding out
your electrical system.

I had one like yours not too long ago and it turned out to
be a power window power feed wire (1990 F body) had a worn