Author Topic: California smog?  (Read 9774 times)

Offline mikecoachusa

Re: California smog?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 03:26:57 PM »
KEEP IT REGISTERED IN PA.  OR REGISTER IT AS A SHOW CAR ONLY.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 04:00:56 PM »
They don't have a "show car" designation.  You can pay a fee just to keep your car in the garage.  You could trailer the car to a show but you couldn't drive it on public roads.

It's really not that hard to pass the test.  But you've got to have a stock set up. 

At some point I hope they exempt some of these cars 76 and newer.  My two T/A's are now 32 years old.  There are so few of them on the road and the ones that are still around aren't driven all that much.  I'm hoping they institute a smog exempt fee for my cars.  After all, what they really want is money.

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 06:29:48 PM »
^X2 ... anything past 30 years old and running without belching smoke everywhere should simply get a pass.  Well, outside of the greater Los Angeles district.

Perhaps a $100 fee to bypass emissions if your car is that old?  I know if I where there, it's easier to stay and work a bit and pay the $100 than it would be to take off of work, fight traffic and cross your fingers.  Russ is right - they want money.

Also, OzTambo hit the nail on the head - go to an old smog test facility and make sure it's hot/warmed up.  Good luck if you do it ...
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 01:33:50 PM »
I would really like that. Sure would make things more simple. 30 years is old enough to get a pass. I mean its awesome that they are still around.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 04:34:42 PM »
I wish Ah-nold and Sacramento would give classic car owners a break, but with the way CA government is going I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to force all of the already smog-exempt cars back into smog status just to collect the additional revenue.

Considering it costs about $50-60 every two years to smog your car in CA, a $100/ year fee for exempt status would be a cash cow for CA government. And if you add the $150-170 yearly registration fee to that, you'd be paying $250-270/ year just to drive your classic around just to avoid smog.

I agree in the short run it would be cheaper to pay the toll, but for me I'd rather get it over with and build the car to comply, and pay less overall later for registration and smog.

Geno

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 09:18:14 AM »
Ok so I have a question for anyone with knowledge on this matter. Taking into consideration of the California smog and trying to stay legal in the state is it possible to have a built 78 400 that would pass smog and all the tests but be pushing 400hp? I know timing and all that go into account during smog and all the lines have to be hooked up and such. Any light on this matter would be appreciated. thanks.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Craig

• Black Trans Am
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 11:06:27 PM »
Probably not. My engine is being rebuilt now and I was told only a very mild upgrade will still pass smog. That with the dual exhausts and that's about it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 11:25:06 PM by Craig »
Los Angeles, CA
www.BlackTransAm.com
1978 Blk/Blk L78, Auto., 2.56

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 12:17:22 AM »
Hello Craig,

Do you have a 78? When you say dual exhaust what exactly do you know that will pass? What catalytic converter are you using? I was told by a relative out there that there is a certain permit I can buy that is considered to be some sort of resoration registration that will exempt the car from a state smog while getting fixed but the car has to stay off the road for the full year. Is this the case out there that you know of? Any light you can shine on this matter along with fellow Cali trans am owners would greatly be appreciated. I feel like I have a better chance getting all parts needed while I am still out here rather then waiting until I get there. Thanks in advance.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Craig

• Black Trans Am
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 12:38:26 AM »
I do have a 78.

Maybe he's talking about a certificate of non-operation. It means the car is registered, but it's not allowed to be driven on the road. I don't think you're even allowed to park it on the road. It's used when a car will be off the road for a long period of time.

If you bring a car from out of state, you'll have to take it to a Department of Motor Vehicles. They will check the VINs and do the paperwork. You'll then have to go get a smog test, return, and provide proof of insurance to complete the registration.

If you bring a car from out of state and it's in a condition that can't be driven, you won't need a certificate of non-operation because you can't operate it. What you do then is begin the registration process, pay the fees and you're kind of hanging in limbo until it can be driven to have the VIN's checked out.

I went to a local place where I get my cars smogged and asked about the dual exhausts. He said it looked like I can do it, and that his book said the car has one catalytic converter. That's the same thing that was on the TA's with dual exhausts, so I should be ok. He also gave me the name of two good muffler shops to go talk to.
Los Angeles, CA
www.BlackTransAm.com

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2010, 08:33:23 AM »
do you have a link to the exhaust you have? or maybe one you are talking about will work for me.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Craig

• Black Trans Am
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2010, 10:20:14 AM »
My car is being restored, but it has the single exhaust. I'm changing to a dual when it's finished.

I think the cat size is matched to the engine size. Any competent muffler shop should know what they're doing.

From reading other boards, most people seem to say that for a street car any muffler setup done at a ship is fine. You can also order a Pypes system from any of the online vendors.

Like I said above, the smog tester looks in a book to see what your car is supposed to have for emissions equipment. There is a crossover valve just when the exhaust starts after the manifold that does need to be there, absolutely. THe heat riser pipe needs to be there too.

These guys can't know every car so the book said my car, a Pontiac 400 with automatic, had a single cat and either single or dual exhaust. The book isn't detailed enough to know if it's a W72 or a L78.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:28:05 AM by Craig »
Los Angeles, CA
www.BlackTransAm.com

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 10:41:02 AM »
Thanks again for all the info. You just told me some parts I didn't even know these cars had. So I guess keeping it registered in PA would not fly out there huh? Do they still catch onto that?
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Craig

• Black Trans Am
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 10:49:26 AM »
Legally you're ok for 20 days after you arrive. After that you'll need to get it smogged.

It seems that in LA don't seem to enforce it because of all the wannabe actors. I was in a parking lot going to the grocery store and most of the cars around me were from out of state. The state needs money so maybe they're cracking down?
Los Angeles, CA
www.BlackTransAm.com

Offline 79ban1

• Bandit X
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010, 05:01:48 PM »
I think that Cali is going to start cracking down on cars that are registered out of state. If you get pulled over and have out of state plates and CA drivers license the can give you a fix it ticket.  Which I have ran into that before it was like $65 for the ticket. I live near Oceanside with the marine base near by there are all kinds of out of state plates. If you only plan on driving the car only to car shows and on weekends then I would leave it registered in PA as long as you don't get stupid in the car and do something to get stopped then you should be ok. I'm building my car and i'm going to register it in Indiana it's cheaper $35 per year and in Cali it's $105. You just have to see what your car came with for smog and see how hard it is to put it back on. I've seen many guys run dual cats on dual exhaust and still pass I think it just depends on the smog tech. Some are more leanient than others. Some guys will over look small things like vac hoses and carbs. My dodge truck has a 440 headers, edelbrock carb and intake with dual exhaust and it passed just fine granted I did have the proper smog stuff required for that year. You will just have to get here go to some car events and talk with other car owners. There are loop holes in every system. the politicians build those in for themselves they just don't tell anyone you just have to find them for yourself.

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010, 08:06:47 PM »
I did not even think of going to a car show and asking around. Thats a really good idea. Thanks. I am glad to know there are some ppl who will work with you on some minor things. I am thinking about just getting the trans am inspected here in PA right before I leave and then once it runs out there hopefully I will have the items and money I need to have it ready.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1979 Trans Am WS6 403