Author Topic: Snowflake Rim Resto Questions  (Read 6221 times)

Offline transamfan

Re: Snowflake Rim Resto Questions
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 10:07:37 PM »
I plan on it.  I just wanted to get a little work done this afternoon while I had the time and see what kind of results I could get with the dremmel, then make sure I am on the right track

Final poster of my car, and yes, that's my lady as well.

Offline TRAN5AM

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 07:50:04 AM »
I just started experimenting on an extra set. I tried the brass brush on the dremel first, but as mentioned earlier, I found that it was difficult to control the pressure, to not pit the surface.

I found a surface prep pad, in an air powered die grinder works WAY better, and easier.

And Brett is right, walnut shells don't work well for blasting. I tried them (since that's what I had on hand), and it was like pushing a rope!
Steve Frey

"Put your seatbelt on, I want to try something.
I saw it in a cartoon one time, but I think I can do it!"

Offline transamfan

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 03:34:43 PM »
So after the surface prep pad, you went to the emery and had good results?

Offline TRAN5AM

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 12:05:42 AM »
Still doing the prep pad thing. One down, Three to go.

I did experiment a little with 600 grit wet/dry paper (since that's what I had on hand). It seemed to work pretty well, but it is obvious that I should use 400 or 320 grit first. From my quick test, it doesn't take much elbow grease for this at all.

Something that occured to me while experimenting, is that I think I'd like to try painting the wheels just before the last passes with the finest sandpaper. The idea is that I would not need to mask the ribs for painting. I'm thinking I could paint them, then after they are good and dry, hit the ribs with the sandpaper, taking off the paint, but only on the ribs.

Any thoughts on this?
Steve Frey

"Put your seatbelt on, I want to try something.
I saw it in a cartoon one time, but I think I can do it!"

Offline transamfan

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 10:39:01 AM »
Sounds like that might work.  Only problem I can see it that you may not be able to keep from flaking paint off of the the edges of the ribs, you know, like on the edges down in the whole kinda.  And depending on how well the paint adheres to the aluminum and how thick you spray it, it could be pretty difficult to get it sanded off.  Let me know if that works, sounds like it could be way faster. 

Offline Grimmster

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 05:13:04 PM »
Cool poster Transamfan !!!!!!
You should try to make the screaming chicken look like its  flying out of the fire.
Once your rims are done in gold and you redo pic I'll buy a poster for sure.
Lookin good !!!

Offline transamfan

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 07:56:13 PM »
Thanks grim!  My lady had it made for me for Christmas, she's in the final product.  Check it out here: http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l141/transamfan25/?action=view&current=scan0001.jpg
I made the background myself with photoshop.  I never thought to make the bird look like it was coming out of the flames, that would be pretty cool.  Maybe I will mess around with it and see what I can do.  Yeah, I need to get my rims done and do another one.  If you look close you can tell that I photoshoped the wheels into the picture.  My wonderful woman said that she would make me another one when the car was completely finished.

Offline Grimmster

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 08:32:53 PM »
I was wondering why that right front looked like a nascar setup. Now I know.

Went to the site with Black Betty (If you don't mind me saying.....
"SSSWWWEEEETTT!!!!")
Are you planning to paint the inner of the snow flake rims gold?

I picked up a set of 8's to replace my 7's a couple years ago from Bret, as usual Bret is daman with rim resto.

One of these days I'll get my 4th Kid (79SE) pics in this forum.

Was it hard to do the photo shop pic with your black beauty?
Maybe I'll try myself.

Offline transamfan

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2007, 11:57:28 AM »
I don't know about the color of the rims, I think I may try black and see how that looks.  I saw a picture of some on the internet and they looked pretty cool, especially with the blacked out windows on a black car.  If it doesn't look good I will paint over it with a different color. 

Hard...it depends.  If you have a lot of time to devote to it then no not really hard.  The hard part is figuring out how to work the program.  Once you figure it out, you can do just about anything you want to the picture.  It just takes a lot of time to design something from scratch.  I scanned a picture of a hood bird decal kit from a catalog, then manipulated it into just the outline of the bird then colored it black, then got a picture off of the internet of some flames, stuck the bird behind the flames, then cut my car out of the picture it was in (it was in a parking lot), stuck it in front of the flames, made a black floor, made a reflection....and you see what I mean.  Lots of time, creativity, and frustration trying to get the program to do what you want it to. 

You can download a trial version of Adobe Photoshop CS for free and that is the best program to use I think.

Offline transamfan

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2007, 11:58:53 AM »
Another thing about restoring the rims...Do I need to use some primer before I paint them or will the paint stick to the aluminum OK?

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2007, 12:42:50 PM »
There are two things that I do..... First is there is a "aluminum conditioner" that I use on the bare rims to get them ready for paint.  The second thing I do is use a "self-etching" primer on the rims before paint all to help everything stick better.  Also, with the painting, what I do is paint one rim... then while it is still wet, I use a rag dampened with thinner and wipe off the extra paint from the edge of the ribs.  So, the area that you do not want painted, just wipe the paint back off.  Use a light toufch and you will not go ver the edge to the painted part.  I do this for the primer (one coat), then also each time I do a coat of the gold or the grey (usually 3 coats, sometimes four for touch up).  So, by using the dampened rag with thinner you can carefully wipe off the excess paint as you go.  That way iit does not create a sharp edge of paint like masking it off does.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline transamfan

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2007, 10:33:15 PM »
I bet that saves a lot of time too!  I was really not looking forward to masking those things off.  I will be hitting it hard this next week to try and get all the buffing done on the rims.  School is winding down and I think I can knock it out in my spare time after class.  I will post pics when I get them.  Thanks for the help Hitman.

Offline transamfan

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2007, 04:55:01 PM »
OK, I have a sisal wheel and the black emery compound and I am getting nowhere.  I can put a LOT of pressure on the wheel and hold it in one spot for 15 to 20 seconds and see no change.  This is getting really frustrating.  I called Caswell Plating, which is who I bought the wheels from and they said that if there is an anodized coating on the wheels that I won't be able to buff them until it is removed.  So, is there an anodized coating on these wheels?  If so, wouldn't the dremmel take it off?  I have gone back with the dremmel, used the steel brush attachment, and really gotten aggressive with a small part of the wheel to make sure I got all of the coating (if there even is one) off.  I then went back to the emery and sisal wheel and still, no progress.  I have used a power drill at 550 RPM and then went to a power grinder at 11,000 RPM and neither work. 

Offline transamfan

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2007, 12:10:48 AM »
Alright, I have found out that the wheels do have an anodized coating on them which won't allow the buffing wheel to get to the aluminum.  I took a power sander so it with some 120 grit sand paper and sanded a small spot.  Then I took the sisal wheel and emery compound to that and it smoothed out in just a few seconds.  Looks like I have a breakthrough.  I will post pics in the restoration projects forum of my progress in a few days.

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2007, 02:33:41 PM »
Sounds like you are having fun huh......
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am