Author Topic: Thoughts about this car?  (Read 6320 times)

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
Re: Thoughts about this car?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 10:24:13 PM »
That was a good catch grasshopper. It should have very low mileage on the title if was a 1 owner.
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 06:54:53 AM »
it was this guys back yard hack job and he's trying any yet all angles at the same time to attempt to sell the car for not a big dollar, but a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge dollar and it didnt work. it is a nice looking car but too much misleading information for someone like me to be interested in it.
Too many birds, not enough food.

shakerz

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 07:49:54 AM »
The guy is definetly almost admitting "Title Jumping", which is against the law due to taxes that need to be collected from the OWNER of the vehicle.  Sure someone can accept the car under those conditions.....but I wouldn't.  I would ask the current owner if he would transfer the title to his name and then accept the sale.  
Here's another thing the gets me with what he states..... "only one owner showing on the title.which mean very possible one owner car." with "73,100 mi the mile the speedo 70,951" don't you think if it was a one owner car it would have near to zero miles on the title?

Hey Mike, my dad grew me up in the car business so that is prolly why i am a little more comfortable w open titles. as to the title mileage and one owner's name showing, a possible explanation is: everytime a car is financed w a lienholder and payed off in Texas, a new title is generated w only the new owner's name on it. having said all that, i don't trust anyone selling trans ams on ebay but i've bought before and will buy again cause i've got serious issues.   :-\ 

steve  :)

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 11:51:47 AM »
Even if that is true, the car still has to be sold TMU ( True Mileage Unknown) since the mileage on the title is greater than the mileage on the car. Which makes his claim of original miles incorrect.
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

shakerz

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 05:13:44 PM »

To the owners credit, if you want to call it that, he states "which mean very possible one owner car".  I am sure this guy will list this car again for more money in a few months.....after the dust settles a bit.     

yessir, definitely agree on the high eBay recycle potential here.   ;D

steve

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 06:47:20 PM »
a whored out car on ebay lol there are alot of them out there too, thinking on that subject.

Offline HotBird

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 08:19:51 AM »
I bought my TA off ebay and couldn't be happier.  I searched everyday on ebay over a year and a half to find the right one for me.  I saw countless TA's relisted on ebay, in fact, I still see some TA's being listed now that were listed over a year ago.
Paul Kuras
1978 Trans Am

Offline jrayers1967

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 08:25:43 AM »
Sorry if this isn't the right place to put this thread...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1978-Gold-edition-t-top-trans-am-orig-70-000-mi-car_W0QQitemZ130284482752QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item130284482752&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A317%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308

Ebay car that's close by me so I can go take a look.  Everytime I think I know a little bit about looking at these cars from pictures, you guys seem to have a lot of questions so I would love for you guys to help me out by checking out the auction and giving me some things to go specifically look at this weekend. 

I asked about the 400 Trans- he said he didn't really know if it was a 400 or a 350.

The exhaust leak he says is from a broken manifold bolt, back, driver side..  If this is true, how hard is that to get fixed?  regular scoket set and a Saturday or take it in and it's going to be a $450 bill?

Says he's had it for 3 years and never titled it- what do you guys think about that?????

What about the story on the discrepent title and odo mileage?

I would like to walk away Sat. and feel like I can offer this guy some $$$ and feel confident that the $$ I offer is fair to me.

If you run across a car like this again ,and you think the title is fishy. Try calling your state police with the vin # It has saved me a headache a time or two.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 06:13:50 PM »
The guy is definetly almost admitting "Title Jumping", which is against the law due to taxes that need to be collected from the OWNER of the vehicle.  Sure someone can accept the car under those conditions.....but I wouldn't.  I would ask the current owner if he would transfer the title to his name and then accept the sale.   The car is not an SE but has so many alarms going off (3:42 rear that usually goes with a 4spd as mentioned).....a TH400 tranny?  Now it's not a matching numbers car as they only came with TH350's as we all know.  The current owner is trying to advertise it "gold edition".....hmmmm. Don't know what he means about this.....but he know it is the code 50 paint. 

Here's another thing the gets me with what he states..... "only one owner showing on the title.which mean very possible one owner car." with "73,100 mi the mile the speedo 70,951" don't you think if it was a one owner car it would have near to zero miles on the title?

I wouldn't even consider this car at all.  Looks aren't everything.

Well Hammer, we disagree here.  First, I'm not sure if there are taxes associated with buying a car in Texas....there certainly are in California.  But that could be why he didn't transfer, but that's his problem.  The buyer just needs a bill of sale.  I had no trouble transferring title on my car when the guy I bought it from didn't change the title over to his name.  In fact, I'm glad he didn't.  I was able to make a copy of the California title which I wouldn't have had if he changed it over.  In the future, I may be able to get the same license plate that was put on the car when it was brought in state in 1979.

On the mileage.  I believe the mileage.  My formula's interior looked the same as this one when my daughter totaled it.  And that was a one owner car with 70K miles.  When we bought cars back then, we never thought about not driving them.  I drove mine as a daily driver for four or five years then stored it.  My oldest daughter then used it as a daily driver for a few years and my youngest daughter the same.  Actually, 70K miles is not very many for a 30 year old car.

To me, this car looks a heck of a lot better than some of the cars we see.  I'd like it a whole lot better if it had the W72 performance package though.

The problem with the auction is the guy really doesn't know these cars.  We have an advantage...we belong to this forum and have learned a whole lot about them.  But when I bought my car....back in the day....I had no idea what transmission it had.  I didn't know what rear end I had...and don't to this day.  I have learned a bunch over the years...much due to the great people on this forum.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 08:43:24 AM »
I have learned a bunch over the years...much due to the great people on this forum.

Well we do agree with this comment.  It's all good. 

It certainly is...and you know what?  I'm still learning tons from this forum and people like you!  It's a great place for us to share our enthusiasm for these wonderful cars.

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 09:44:44 AM »
the saying "you learn something new everyday", proves itself over and over. especially on here.

Offline nocturnel78

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 05:14:25 PM »

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 09:20:11 PM »
wow does that ever look like the one i just sold with the exception this one has vinyl seats instead of cloth. i would have been fooled otherwise.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2009, 11:50:02 AM »
That 79 is nice.  It's missing that little fresh air elbow bracket and the plastic adapter to the air cleaner, but it looks like a solid car.  It's been repainted.  Also, it doesn't have the correct shifter bezel.  But a really nice car overall.