Author Topic: Which engine to replace a 301 on a '79 T/A  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Jbh123

Which engine to replace a 301 on a '79 T/A
« on: February 18, 2016, 05:45:20 AM »
   Hello,

I'm a French guy in love with Firebord from years now. I just bought a '79 T/A with the 301 inside. The car was clean, nice looking, already with French papers but has the 301 inside of it. Parts are extremely expensive here in France so I buy it all from US, less expansive and much more common for me. I replaced some drivetrain parts and carburetor (Rochester quadrajet) which was kind of destroyed (gasoline was running over the carb).

So I was wondering which engine should replace mine, I was searching for the W72 400ci but it seems that it's not so easy to find ready to run cheap. I searched also on blueprint and other summit racing ready to run engines but I don't know a lot about quality and whats parts I have to replace or keep.

I found your forum, that seems to be one of experienced users, hope that I will have answers to my questions.

Remarks to help :
- My budget is around 4000US$
- I don't want a top perf engine, just someting that can blow some cars when pushing hard and of course reliable (I use this car as my drive for fun car)
- I have a TH350 - 3 speed, I guess the original one - did not see the torque converter
- My 301 was rebuild some years ago, seems to be clean and good running but nooo torque except in 1st gear where I can feel a little bit of push (I ride a '86 1100 gsxr when I can and like the big push you have on this bike)

Please feel free to answer me back or ask any question, my objective is to have the most advices to help me making my mind.

Regards.

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
Re: Which engine to replace a 301 on a '79 T/A
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 03:32:49 PM »
A W72 400 would be a great choice for a 79 TA, but they are in demand here in the USA. Finding a rebuildable core is possible, but to have one rebuilt $4000 including the core is going to be difficult, since the total cost- core, parts, machine work, assembly-could easily exceed your budget.

Stock W72 400s were made from 77-79 and had a factory output  of 220 hp. You want to avoid the early 77 W72, which used the weaker no.500557 400 block. PMD had problems with this block failing in regular use, which is why they switched to the earlier no.481988 400 casting in 78- much stronger and more reliable.

I'm not aware of the emissions requirements in France, but if you don't have to pass emissions testing a W72 400 can be built to.make 350-400 hp using the stock 6x-4 heads and 3.75"stroke crank. Of course this requires high performance parts like forged pistons, rods, high lift/duration cam,higher flowing manifolds, as well as some head milling to reduce the combustion chamber size and increase compression.

Geno

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Which engine to replace a 301 on a '79 T/A
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 03:45:53 PM »
Be aware that going from a 301 to 400 will also require the necessary accessory brackets and air cleaner setup for shaker to work.