Author Topic: 72 Trans Am restoration 1/9/08  (Read 209279 times)

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
Re: 72 Trans Am restoration 1/9/08
« Reply #195 on: May 28, 2009, 11:11:05 PM »
Amazing.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #196 on: May 29, 2009, 03:15:50 PM »
Looks good Randy ... I'm assuming I'm somewhere in the que.  It's all good - you'll get to it when there's time.
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline limey

« Reply #197 on: May 29, 2009, 05:22:43 PM »
Man, I just can't wait to see the finished product.  That is a TA to be very proud of!!!
79 Heritage Brown, 400 4spd, #'s matching. 1 of 2917.

Offline KeePat

• When I finish my T/A I will change my avatar!
« Reply #198 on: May 29, 2009, 06:12:29 PM »
Randy,
Thanks for posting the pictures of my dash, I love the before, during, & can't wait to see the after pic's
Thank You!
Pat 

Offline redvettemike

« Reply #199 on: May 30, 2009, 04:55:01 AM »
Pat: Are you still going on the Hot Rod Power Tour? I am going to pick it up in Somerset Ky and go with them to Bristol. I will be in a '71 Olds 442 that I have recently restored. I will be with my Hot Rod buddy of 40 years in his nice '67 Chev Malibu. If you are going I will look for you.
Mike Martin
Madison, Ms
ps I restored recently a '75 T/A. It is not nearly as nice as your's but I had a good time fooling with it. Some photos are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/35248680@N03/

Offline KeePat

« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2009, 08:03:26 AM »
Mike,
Yes! I head out late Friday. I was hoping to have the T/A ready for the Power tour but that not the case! So my next choice was my 68 Charger but someone at a car show two weeks ago had to have it and the $$$ was right so I sold it! To make room for my next project (old woody for my wife) So now I’m hoping the Camaro I ordered 10/13/08 will show up in time if not I will take the my 08 srt/8 Challenger. I’ll keep my eye out for you and your friend!
Thanks!
Pat   

PS Your T/A looks awesome along with your other cars! nice shop to!

Offline norwood

« Reply #201 on: May 30, 2009, 10:47:03 AM »
Pat -- I'm trying to remember -- did the 72 TAs come with the trim rings?  (If they did, then they'd be the sharp-edged shiny ones, not the rounded edge brushed ones.)  Are you going to use them? ???

1970 Rally wheel trim rings were dealer installed option. 1971 and 1972 the trim rings were standard on the Rally Wheels and came in the trunk upon which the dealer installed. The trim rings used in those years are the same ones that are found on the more common Chevrolet Rally Wheel. They do look nice installed  , but I am a NO RING guy.
OUR DAY IS COMING SOON

Offline 77TA-Man

« Reply #202 on: May 30, 2009, 12:03:07 PM »
Pat, I just read this thread from beginning to end and I gotta tell ya, you have done a wonderful job on that car. I will be starting on my '77 when we get moved and organized. After seeing your work diary, I am both inspired and intimidated. Not sure I'll go as far as you did. I would like to but it would take me forever just to pay for it.  And, while I'm not afraid of hard work, you've taken that phrase to a whole new level, where cars are concerned LOL.
My hat's off to you for the job you and your son have done. On the edge of my seat to see the end result of the massive amounts of work you have done.

Thanks for sharing this with us! I'll even be using it as a sort of guide when I begin mine.

Joel
Joel
1977 Trans Am
1991 Firebird
Proud T/A owner since 1986

Offline redvettemike

« Reply #203 on: May 31, 2009, 07:06:43 AM »
Mike,
Yes! I head out late Friday. I was hoping to have the T/A ready for the Power tour but that not the case! So my next choice was my 68 Charger but someone at a car show two weeks ago had to have it and the $$$ was right so I sold it! To make room for my next project (old woody for my wife) So now I’m hoping the Camaro I ordered 10/13/08 will show up in time if not I will take the my 08 srt/8 Challenger. I’ll keep my eye out for you and your friend!
Thanks!
Pat   

Pat: Three of my buddies have ordered new Camaros. There seems to be lot of problems in the mfg/delivery of these vehicles. One just got his after a long wait (S# 202). Another of the three got confirmation that his order had been accepted for mfg. The third got tired of waiting and drove this week to Savannah Ga and bought one from a dealer there. I have not talked with him about the price but it was over retail. One dealer wanted $10k over retail!

In any case I will look for you on the HRPT. I will be in a '71 Olds 442-white with a air hood with green stripes. My friend will be in a blue Chev Malibu. We are looking forward to the trip. We join it at Somerset Ky.
Mike

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #204 on: May 31, 2009, 07:19:43 AM »
Pat just to let you know I found out that all the parts you have been restoring are actually chevy parts so your no longer going to need them. so i will gladly take them off your hands and give you a set of parts correct for a pontiac for you to start all over with. sound good? I get super envious of the progress you make! your doing one hell of a job with that car and i cannot wait to see it when its done. and hopefully one day in person would be even better.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline 4speed76

« Reply #205 on: May 31, 2009, 09:23:08 AM »
I agree with y88rick, I hope mine turns out even half as nice as your is.  Cant wait to see it all done.
1976 T/A project
2009 Honda CRV
2001 Honda Civic

Offline KeePat

« Reply #206 on: May 31, 2009, 03:23:44 PM »
Mike,
Thanks!
Pat   

Pat: Three of my buddies have ordered new Camaros. There seems to be lot of problems in the mfg/delivery of these vehicles. One just got his after a long wait (S# 202). Another of the three got confirmation that his order had been accepted for mfg. The third got tired of waiting and drove this week to Savannah Ga and bought one from a dealer there. I have not talked with him about the price but it was over retail. One dealer wanted $10k over retail!

In any case I will look for you on the HRPT. I will be in a '71 Olds 442-white with a air hood with green stripes. My friend will be in a blue Chev Malibu. We are looking forward to the trip. We join it at Somerset Ky.
Mike

Mike,
If not the Camaro I'll be driving a orange Challenger and my friend will have his black Challenger. Both are srt/8 and we plan on racing them inTN.
thanks!
Pat

Offline KeePat

« Reply #207 on: May 31, 2009, 03:31:13 PM »
Pat -- I'm trying to remember -- did the 72 TAs come with the trim rings?  (If they did, then they'd be the sharp-edged shiny ones, not the rounded edge brushed ones.)  Are you going to use them? ???

1970 Rally wheel trim rings were dealer installed option. 1971 and 1972 the trim rings were standard on the Rally Wheels and came in the trunk upon which the dealer installed. The trim rings used in those years are the same ones that are found on the more common Chevrolet Rally Wheel. They do look nice installed  , but I am a NO RING guy.

Craig,
Thanks for posting the correct info on the trim ring for the Rally II. I am a NO ring guy as well!
Thanks!
Pat

Offline KeePat

« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2009, 03:33:31 PM »
Pat, I just read this thread from beginning to end and I gotta tell ya, you have done a wonderful job on that car. I will be starting on my '77 when we get moved and organized. After seeing your work diary, I am both inspired and intimidated. Not sure I'll go as far as you did. I would like to but it would take me forever just to pay for it.  And, while I'm not afraid of hard work, you've taken that phrase to a whole new level, where cars are concerned LOL.
My hat's off to you for the job you and your son have done. On the edge of my seat to see the end result of the massive amounts of work you have done.

Thanks for sharing this with us! I'll even be using it as a sort of guide when I begin mine.

Joel

Joel,
Thank You! and gool luck with your T/A!

Pat

Offline KeePat

« Reply #209 on: May 31, 2009, 03:39:37 PM »
Pat just to let you know I found out that all the parts you have been restoring are actually chevy parts so your no longer going to need them. so i will gladly take them off your hands and give you a set of parts correct for a pontiac for you to start all over with. sound good? I get super envious of the progress you make! your doing one hell of a job with that car and i cannot wait to see it when its done. and hopefully one day in person would be even better.

Rick,
lol
Thanks man!
Pat