Author Topic: T Top and Door Weather Stripping  (Read 1651 times)

Offline 1979 Trans Am Y84 4sp

T Top and Door Weather Stripping
« on: May 28, 2018, 01:58:21 PM »
I have installed the new weather stripping which the material is much harder than I think was originally used...bought the kits from classic industries...not sure of the brand.....the driver door doesn't close easily and the t tops appear to be a quarter inch higher than the main body.....restoration shop says the seals need to sit in the hot sun for a few weeks to settle in...anyone with experience know if that is correct or that they are possibly installed incorrectly or the materials are too hard and I should have selected a different brand?

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
Re: T Top and Door Weather Stripping
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 12:19:09 PM »
doors will close hard for awhile but will compress & conform & close easier.

the t tops will probably sit higher for a long time.  none of teh aftermarket t tops weatherstrips are like the original gm's.  also very likely they were installed wrong & werent tucked under the roof lip right.  sitting in the sun wont change the height much... trick i did was to put some weight on the tops & let it sit for a long time, like a month or more.  warm sun will help.  i used a pair of rally 2 rims, about 50lbs positioned at the edge of the tops so all the weight isnt in the middle of the glass.  made a big difference in how high the tops sat.

the best brand t top seal i found were soft-seal, they fit the best especially compared to metro brand but they will make the tops sit higher than original.  not aware of any brand that is as good as original GMs.
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's