Author Topic: Rebuilding Q-Jet  (Read 1164 times)

Offline 1979T/A6.6

• Classic is Cool ;)
Rebuilding Q-Jet
« on: June 19, 2008, 10:45:29 PM »
Ok I have been trying to find a good reputable place to get my Q-jet rebuilt but i honestly don't know who to go to. There is just so many places.  So many prices, so many explanations I don't know how to process all this this and make a good choice.  I don't want to end up like my neighbor who's carb was gone for 6 months either.  Im more or less looking for opinions on what places everyone on the forum had had theirs done buy. 
Sal
'79 T/A 6.6 in resto
Restoration Progress Thread

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Rebuilding Q-Jet
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 10:53:24 PM »
The most obvious answer is Cliff Ruggles, who is the undisputed expert on Qjets.  But because he IS so good, he's also busy and that makes for long waits -- which you don't want.  There are other people around too -- Maryland Bandit had his redone over the winter and it looks spectacular.  He also reports that it runs very well too.  I'd ask him who it was that did it, or go back and search out the thread where he posted the results -- it's worth the time to look it up! ;)

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 10:55:30 PM »
The most obvious answer is Cliff Ruggles, who is the undisputed expert on Qjets.  But because he IS so good, he's also busy and that makes for long waits -- which you don't want. 

Or just buy his book and do it yourself ;)
http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Modify-Rochester-Quadrajet-Carburetors/dp/1932494189/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213930497&sr=1-1
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline 1979T/A6.6

• Classic is Cool ;)
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 11:05:19 PM »
O I'm aware of that book and i have seen the bronze bushing kits to replace my most likely work butterfly holes but my dad said he tried and failed (got massice vacuum leak) and I really can afford to fail as I don't have money for a new carb.  Im looking at maybe having one of local classic car shops do it.  seem like they would be less busy and take their time.  Id honestly love to do it myself but the time/experience/tools I really dont have (my drill press from the 40s while very nice ain't going to cut it for doing something that needs precision.)
Sal
'79 T/A 6.6 in resto

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 09:09:34 AM »
Tin Indian sells a special drill bit for this so you don't need a drill press.  They also sell the bushings.
http://www.tinindianperformance.com/Qjet%20parts%20and%20services.htm

Offline 1979T/A6.6

• Classic is Cool ;)
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 11:34:04 AM »
I had come across that in my searches and was considering it. I am going to buy Cliff's book this way I get a better understanding.  My car ran with the current state its in and I have much better machines at school, guess I could use their machines.  A Bridgeport CNC is way better than anything I got.   You could really just use a hand drill? I would be kinda scared of drilling it at an angle.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 11:48:28 AM by 1979T/A6.6 »
Sal
'79 T/A 6.6 in resto