Author Topic: 78 martinique blue  (Read 46793 times)

Offline 78T/AKID

• W72, 4SPD, WS6 49K
Re: 78 martinique blue
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2016, 08:28:24 PM »
LOOKS GOOD!!!!!!

Offline Bman

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2016, 08:53:09 PM »
Thanks guys!!!!!

Offline Bman

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2016, 08:33:07 PM »
Been tinkering putting things on like plug wires, charcoal canister, and battery cables. Seems like things are moving slowly. Spending lots of time trying to figure out where things go. Waiting to get a nice weekend so i can sandblast various things.
I'll get some pictures of the progress this weekend.

I did decide to go ahead and order my Year One 17x9 snowflakes.

Now I need to track down some rubber

Offline Bman

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2016, 09:48:22 PM »
Here's a couple pics of the engine bay. Starting to shape up slowly. I'm searching for a/c brackets so if anyone has them let me know.

Also scraped, wire wheeled, and primed the rockers and the area in front of the doors.

Then I applied some new seam sealer where I scraped off the old sealer

This weekend is looking good for sandblasting. I'll take pictures!

Offline Bman

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2016, 08:45:33 PM »
Well the weather has not been cooperating, but i have made a little progress.
Took the car to have exhaust put on it, just had them make a y-pipe to single back to the muffler. Don't have a underneath pic yet but here it is on the trailer.

Did a little sandblasting on the hood, fenders, and air cleaner. Just did the underside bracing on the fenders and hood, then I Epoxy primered everything.

So, I'm told painter will be ready for the car soon. Crossing fingers!

Offline mulletmobile

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2016, 03:54:58 AM »
Killer build thread and documentation.  Check your messages for a PM as I have a couple of questions.
80 Turbo Trans Am - in the process of coming back to life.

Offline Bman

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2016, 10:30:25 PM »
Thank you mulletmobile! Got the 400 fired up today, have some sort of issue with backfiring thru exhaust. Thinking timing or valve adjustment, will figure it out tomorrow. Still waiting for paint.

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2016, 10:17:17 AM »
It lives! Shaping up nicely, and the new wheels look great!
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline Transatrom

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2016, 02:34:18 PM »
I am really impressed. i'm doing the same restoration and way behind you so far.  I'm interested in the brake booster combination; where did you source it from.  Also, I just replaced both the washer fluid and radiator jugs.  I must tell you the only thing dragging down the appearance is those old reservoirs.   I almost want to buy you both of them to make the engine compartment pop!

You are doing a bang up job!

v/r
Dave

Offline Transatrom

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2016, 02:35:00 PM »
By the way, your brother has done a tremendous job on the wiring looms.

v/r
Dave

Offline Bman

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2016, 10:35:26 PM »
Thanks guys! I appreciate the compliments. Transatrom, I picked up the brake booster on Ebay it's made by Inline tube. Here's one like it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/70-81-F-body-Power-Disc-Drum-Brake-Booster-Master-Cylinder-Valve-Bracket-Kit-/182054770830?hash=item2a634f588e

As far as the overflow jugs, never even thought about replacing them. LOL
Where did you get yours?

Managed to get the engine smoothed out today, turns out the new cap and coil on the distributor was missing the ground terminal for some reason. Ungrounded coil equals no power at higher rpms and backfiring thru the exhaust.
Have finally located some a/c brackets locally, so a/c is going on next then fenders and nose.
Hopefully by then paint guy will be ready for it.

Offline Bman

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2016, 09:46:45 PM »
I'm back! Been a few weeks but still gaining on it.

Managed to get the a/c all hooked up

Hung both fenders. What a pain trying to line up gaps and body lines. I got them close, hopefully the body guy can tweek them in.

And the hood

Nose is next

Painted the tail panel so I could hang the rear bumper

Rear bumper cover

Got the brakes bled and transmission filled. Drove it from one side of the barn to the other. Did my first burnout!!! LOL

Shaker

That's the latest. Received all new t-top, door, hood, and trunk seals this week. Also new tires should be arriving tomorrow.
Still waiting on body guy, always has an excuse. Really getting discouraged, wanted to be done this summer but body guy is killing that dream. I guess we'll see.....

Offline Transatrom

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2016, 03:51:54 AM »
I have been following your rebuild and continue to be amazed at the results.  Looking at your a/c pics, it looks like you have all new hoses, canister and compressor?  I appreciate the info on the brake booster and am heading out to Carlisle Pa for the GM Nationals this weekend, hoping to see in-line there and pick up my booster assembly.

Back to my a/c hoses, they are ok but I really want the new look like yours.  Any information you can pass along would be helpful.

Offline Bman

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2016, 10:36:20 PM »
Thank you! Actually the hoses and compressor I bought off Craigslist since my car had nothing when I bought it. So everything is used except for the new condenser coil, and I'm hoping it works for me. I will take it to a local shop to have all seals replaced and new oil and refrigerant installed. All I did was clean, wire brush, and paint the parts you see.

Here's what I started with.

I used a cast aluminum spray paint for the aluminum parts, same stuff I used on the alternator. I can get a pic of that if you want. It doesn't have the exact finish as OEM, but it didn't come out too bad.

Offline Transatrom

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2016, 06:09:45 AM »
You have convinced me to restore mine the same way.  I was going to throw mine away and buy new but the price has me reconsidering.  I'll wire wheel them this weekend and see if I can get the same results!