Author Topic: need help ignition switch  (Read 899 times)

Offline 76firebird82

need help ignition switch
« on: June 22, 2013, 02:22:03 AM »
hi guys i used to be a member here for a long time then sold my 79 but now have a 76 but lost my account info

my problem is for a while my ignition when turning it off was starting to feel rough when turning now it will not turn to the on position and start the car i cant start it at all

any ideas

heres some pics on my blue beauty still i work in progress

has a bench seat and a column shift

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Re: need help ignition switch
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 03:52:31 AM »
Try rotating the collar where the column and the dash meet...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline 76firebird82

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 09:58:39 AM »
how do i pry this thing out

Offline Chuckles

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 10:01:19 AM »
The ignition switch is fairly easy to get to. It's on the steering column. You just lower the column mounting bolts a bit and there should be two 5/16 or 1/4" bolts that hold it in place. The switch has a rod that goes in it and the mounting holes are slotted to adjust. But, as suggested earlier...the shift collar may be out of adjustment which won't allow you to remove the key or start it because the vehicle thinks it's in gear.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 08:43:21 AM »
Is it a tilt column? If it is, it may be worth taking it apart to the 4 bolts just beyond the tilt, those get loose and your column feels like your steering a jack in the box. I would also replace the turn signal switch in there if you don't feel very confident in it's condition.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.