Author Topic: Exhaust "log" Manifold Fel-Pro Gasket Direction (simple question)  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
I'm about to install the factory log manifolds using the Fel-Pro metal gaskets (it's described as a Steel Core Laminate gasket, part number MS9499SH). It has a flat surface with a raised round bead on one side.

Does it matter which side goes against the head or manifold?

I assume the flat side goes along the manifold and the bead side into the manifold, but perhaps it doesn't matter. The service manual doesn't say anything and no instructions came with the Fel-Pro gaskets.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline mikekop

I can check that for you in a couple of hours! I bought a complete FelPro gasket kit including the exhaust manifold one, and that kit had a note in the box stating how the gasket was supposed to go. I've already installed that gasket with my R.A.R.E manifolds, but can't, with 100% certainty remember which way I put them, but I think it was with the "bubbly" side against the manifold?
I have the gasket box at my mom's place, going there today.
Skickat från min SGP321 via Tapatalk 2

I'm not dangerous, I'm just plain ugly...

Offline mikekop

Realized that we probably don't have the same type of gasket, mine where thick, almost padded whith a aluminium like surface. Ignore my previous post.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
Re: Exhaust "log" Manifold Fel-Pro Gasket Direction (simple question)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 07:16:16 AM »
If they are D port then i think they would install the same. Ram Air Restoration gaskets for their D ports look nearly identical to the ones I have.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline mikekop

I have an 403, so no D-port I guess...
I'm pretty sure I put the "bubbly" side against the manifold, and the flat surface against the heads. I forgot to check, to be honest... Sorry!