Author Topic: Heater Core Replacement 80 301T  (Read 9184 times)

Offline TurboTA

Heater Core Replacement 80 301T
« on: October 08, 2012, 08:23:54 PM »
Has anyone successfully replaced the heater core on an 80 Firebird with the 301T engine?  I removed the right fender, considering replacement in lieu of a leak later on... 

Any thoughts, suggestions or vendors to source a replacement heater core would be appreciated!

turbota
Paul
1980 Turbo Trans Am Pace Car Edition
1996 Corvette C4

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Heater Core Replacement 80 301T
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 08:34:48 PM »
Local auto parts store should be able to get one, you'll have to remove the main unit under the dash, which has studs on the firewall engine side.
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline grenggli

Re: Heater Core Replacement 80 301T
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 05:30:41 PM »
Succesfully did it on my 81 TTA with A/C and it is difficult.  Remove the carpet on the passenger side along with all padding.  There is only one way it goes in and it is tight.  You also must have most all venting out around middle hump, then you can slowly work the heat/A/C box out.  Once you clear tubes and be careful not to bend when you put new in, you must keep angle and turn to clear.  It is hard to explain, but I found only one way to achieve the replacement and it was tight.  Took me several hours to complete.  Sorry no pictures.

Greg
1981 Blk & Gold Pontiac TTA with  455 SE clone--sold
1978 Silver Pontiac TA with BB 454 (sold)
1989 Maui blue Pontiac Firebird Formula--sold
1988 Flame Red Pontiac GTA 5.0TPI 5spd T-tops-sold
1993 Burgundy Z28 Camaro LT1 Auto hardtop==sold

Offline TurboTA

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 09:04:18 PM »
Dear Greg:
Thank you for the information, very helpful indeed.  Did you need to remove the center console as well, around the shifter?  I have all of the duct work and glove box removed since I needed to remove the radio. 

Paul
Turbota
Paul
1996 Corvette C4

Offline grenggli

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 11:35:35 PM »
I had the console out already, so I am not sure if it would have caused a problem.

Greg
1981 Blk & Gold Pontiac TTA with  455 SE clone--sold
1978 Silver Pontiac TA with BB 454 (sold)
1989 Maui blue Pontiac Firebird Formula--sold
1988 Flame Red Pontiac GTA 5.0TPI 5spd T-tops-sold
1993 Burgundy Z28 Camaro LT1 Auto hardtop==sold

Offline DanielHubbard

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 10:14:26 AM »
I did the heater core on my 1980 TTA.  I already had the right fender off, so access to the bolts and hose clamps was easy.  Service manual says you can do it by unbolting and dropping the inner fender, which is probably true.  But, if you have the time and want to cut down on the frustration, I recommend you take off the fender.  I have a '79 that I'm going to put a new core into.  I'm going to try the inner fender trick first.  If that doesn't work, I'm taking off the fender.  It needs paint anyways, so not too worried about scratching the fender or hood in the process.

As others have stated, the studs are on the engine compartment side.  You will need to remove the nuts on some, unbolt others.  That part is pretty simple.

No need to take out the console.  You will need to remove the ducting underneath the glove box to get to the core box.  You may wish to remove the dash to do this, but you may be able to get away without that part.  Just makes access easier if you pull the dash.  That's up to you to decide. 

Once the heater box on mine was out, it was a simple matter of unscrewing the thing to get to the core.  However, there were a couple of screws that I didn't see and they were hard to get to.  I ended up breaking the lid when I tried to pry it off.  No problem, that's what epoxy is for.  But, you may want to be a little cautious if your heater box is 33 years old and brittle like mine was.  It can break easily.

Good luck!

Oh, and don't forget to reconnect the ground wire on the heater box!

Offline Virg54

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »
I just did mine.  Quite an adventure.

Some suggestions...

Take the new heater core to a radiator shop and have it pressure tested.  You may think that is "overkill" but it would suck to go to all this work just have a leak do to poor workmanship in some third world! 

Then, more importantly, have the radiator shop lay on more solder where the pipes connect to the core to strengthen those connections.  This is an area of possible failure and lessens the chance of possible failure during installation when you are trying to get the unit back in and the pipes through the holes.

Finally, be sure to check if the pipes are pressed up against the fiberglass(?) panel that the holes are in.  My original heater core failed, I believe, because those pipes were pressed "harshly" against the fiberglass edge.  I took a rat tail file to it and had to remove over 1/2" before the pipe set in there freely...

I hope this helps...

Offline TurboTA

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 05:56:07 PM »
Thank you Dan and Virg54, I appreciate the information. 

I have the right fender off and will proceed from here.  The glovebox and A/C ducts are already out because I had to remove the radio due to a failed red display.  So, rather than quickly return all the parts, one has to ask, what else can I do here? 

Once the fender is off, I'll take it from there.  I may be sending more PM's as I proceed.

Thanks.
Paul
Paul
1996 Corvette C4

Offline Virg54

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 07:44:46 PM »
Did your heater leak a lot?  The pad under the carpet was a nasty mess due to the anti-freeze that leaked, so you may want to check that.  I, never taking the easy way...I failing of mine, pulled everything and replaced the fiber pad with a foil poly for sound proofing and as a heat shield.  And new carpet. 

Offline Greenbird76

• The way Grandma wishes she could of ordered it!!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 09:06:38 PM »
My heater core experience was a pain in the but too, but Hitman has a cool page posted that takes you step by step.  Check it out.
http://www.78ta.com/resto/heater.htm
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 09:17:04 PM by Greenbird76 »

Offline Greenbird76

• The way Grandma wishes she could of ordered it!!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 09:08:58 PM »
I just did mine.  Quite an adventure.

Some suggestions...

Take the new heater core to a radiator shop and have it pressure tested.  You may think that is "overkill" but it would suck to go to all this work just have a leak do to poor workmanship in some third world! 

Then, more importantly, have the radiator shop lay on more solder where the pipes connect to the core to strengthen those connections.  This is an area of possible failure and lessens the chance of possible failure during installation when you are trying to get the unit back in and the pipes through the holes.

Finally, be sure to check if the pipes are pressed up against the fiberglass(?) panel that the holes are in.  My original heater core failed, I believe, because those pipes were pressed "harshly" against the fiberglass edge.  I took a rat tail file to it and had to remove over 1/2" before the pipe set in there freely...

I hope this helps...
This is such a great idea.  I unfortunately did not do this and had to replace the darn thing 2x.  the plus side- I am a pro at changing them now.
My passenger side wheel skirt had the access door cut into it so I can access the heater core hose connections with out having to remove the skirt.  The first time I replaced it I had the skirt off.  the 2nd time I used the trap door.   My car  76 ac equipped car  mirrors my 80 AC equipped parts car and I have several pictures from my 2nd install if any body needs some visual guidance through the process. 

Offline kleenman

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 08:26:37 AM »
I got mine out, and back in.  However, after it is all bolted in,  I have about a half inch of space between the defogger tube and the heater core box.  Any thoughts?

Offline Virg54

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 10:41:06 PM »
Since the heater core can only be installed in one location, are you saying that the defogger tube was re-installed in a location different than what you think it should have been...?

Offline kleenman

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 06:51:59 AM »
no, I did't take the defogger tube out.  I just took the one screw out that holds the two together.  I just can not see why they will not line up now.  That is the only tube I got with the car. Two owners ago stsarted to change out the heater core, saw how much work it was, and stopped. 

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 01:06:19 PM »
thats a normal space.....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....