Author Topic: dash restoration  (Read 1506 times)

Offline troy_boy

• 1979 Formula 403cu
    • Myspace
dash restoration
« on: February 08, 2008, 08:02:56 PM »
I dug through here but didnt see the info.
I want to get my dash redone by dbr or just dashes or other and I want to know if anyone has had this done. Do you send them the entire dash and if so, do I remove all the gauges wiring ect and do they dye the rest of the dash? As in the glove box and basically the rest of the dash? My dash is tan and I want to go black. Is this a route I should take or am I attempting an ugly deal? I dont want to go with dye because eventually the tan will show through from what I hear unless there is a better way. Thanks, Troy.
What does not kill us makes us stronger....

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: dash restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 08:08:29 PM »
DBR will want the entire dash minis gauges.wiring, etc. They will also want your under-column section, glove box door, and grab handle for accurate color matching. They also ask for LH vent to ensure fitment afterwards....I think that's all they ask for.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 08:28:29 AM »
Mine was done by Just Dashes. Standard cost when I was having mine done was $700 in black and then they tacked on another $50 for color matching. I've heard the prices have gone way up since I had mine done about 3 years ago - I'm hearing $1000+ from those that have quotes from Just Dashes. BTW: It took them 12 weeks from the time I sent it in until the time I received it back.

I hate to say it but if you can get a replacement dash from any of the Repro houses you'll be money ahead as it will already be in black and certainly cost less then getting yours restored/recovered.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline troy_boy

• 1979 Formula 403cu
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 11:27:09 AM »
Thanks, and I agree 1000 big ones is outragious, that should include them taking it out and reinstalling it. Wouldnt that be great. I've heard of only two people with the repro and one sent it back so I dont know for sure what they are like. I'm still digging. I am seriously thinking about doing it myself, eeeek. I think I can...I think I can...I think I can... :o

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 11:49:25 AM »
Well I was thinking for $1000 some female super model should also come in the box (preferably above the age of 18), install it and offer a free wash and wax but hey whatever your fancy :)

I think Lee01 just did this using some bondo, stone chip gaurd paint and some dye. I'm not sure how the bondo will hold up under the extreme heat/cold cycles but its worth a shot. It might be worth investigating the flexible filler that's used on rubber bumpers and then using something with a little less aggressive texture such as the texture spray paint you can buy in stores such as Walmart. Just a thought if you're going to attempt this yourself...

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline troy_boy

• 1979 Formula 403cu
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 12:20:25 PM »
I wouldnt know what to do with a cute 18 yo. Put her butt to work on the car, in a swim suit, hehehe.
I think flexable would be much better, I just dont see regular bondo holding up to the heat and cooling. I could be wrong. Keep it thin?

Offline lee01

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 12:46:32 PM »
It will hold ok, IF you keep the bondo to a minimum.
Flexible bondo might work too, I haven't tried it.

I also would use a texture different texture. My gravel guard way, is better for heavily damage dash pad. It help hide imperfection.

Current project:
90 Mustang GT 5.0
10 STI Sportech
Last T/A's
1979 x 4

Offline troy_boy

• 1979 Formula 403cu
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 12:53:35 PM »
I read your post and it looked awsome to me. How long ago did you do it and has it been in the sun cold ect? I will agree the texture was probably a little heavy but still looked good. My dash has a grand canyon crack or two along with other cracks. One place is where someone broke in my car and stole my stereo, they used a crow bar to pry it out and cracked the dash just above the stereo location! That hurt me more than missing the stereo, man I was hot! Anyway thanks for the work you did in helping us see how it was done.

Offline lee01

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 01:20:57 PM »
Took me about 6 hours from start to finish, it wasn't badly damage to start with. So far this dash only been inside my garage. But I did one couple year ago during winter, I reinstalled it in winter time (i'm in Canada so the dash beeing tested from -20C and up to +20C + sunny days) and sold the car in summer. Nothing happen during this time. It did hold its luster and shape.

The texture gravel guard look ruff, but in person it really not that bad once finish (definitly good for a driver), but the fner texture would have been better.

If you help, let me know, i'll try to help you the best I can

Current project:
90 Mustang GT 5.0
10 STI Sportech
Last T/A's
1979 x 4