Author Topic: Computer room's  (Read 50546 times)

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
Re: Computer room's
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 01:39:39 PM »
the next little project will be to link the PC to the 52" Toshiba to watch Hulu without moving the PC units from "The Cove" to the Living room.
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline Rebel 5150

• Flagler County, Florida -Viewer Discretion Advised
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 07:15:54 AM »
Laptop here as well, so it varies.  May be the bedroom, the living room or even the front porch for that matter.
Harold - Pure Trans Am Nut

“Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.” - David Lee Roth

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 09:31:41 AM »
Laptop here as well, so it varies.  May be the bedroom, the living room or even the front porch for that matter.

Ya I sold a laptop to a buddy ,and it's working well for him . Nice thing about a laptop is they take up little room .

Offline pat

• Adv. Member
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 10:36:09 AM »
laptop for me too and i use it when i go too and from home and school.
speed kills drive a ford and live forever

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 12:12:29 PM »
I'd like to get a laptop for internet use. Then I could dedicate my PC(s) to video/audio/photo programs.
Larry

Offline Rebel 5150

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 02:15:35 PM »
This thread remnds me, friend of mine was asking me about those little Acer Aspire 1 mini laptops.  Bascially looking for something for his child (9) to use for various learning programs without getting into major league money.  Anyone know anything about these little things?

“Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.” - David Lee Roth

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 03:09:51 PM »
This thread remnds me, friend of mine was asking me about those little Acer Aspire 1 mini laptops.  Bascially looking for something for his child (9) to use for various learning programs without getting into major league money.  Anyone know anything about these little things?

I would Google reviews on that one . I have to say that that company made crap at one time . But there desktop monitors have the best track record at out local  Staples . They say hardly any come back ,and alot of the Viewsonic are crapping out .Although I have never had a problem with the two Viesonics that I have
I almost bought an Acerlaptop ,but I hate Vista and I hate the new glossy screens that do nothing but act as a mirror .So I was stuck with Dell,as you still order the things you want .
 I would go with the Acer n/p ,as all laptops have the glossy screen now other than Dell

Offline Rebel 5150

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 03:16:37 PM »
I would Google reviews on that one . I have to say that that company made crap at one time . But there desktop monitors have the best track record at out local  Staples . They say hardly any come back ,and alot of the Viewsonic are crapping out .Although I have never had a problem with the two Viesonics that I have
I almost bought an Acerlaptop ,but I hate Vista and I hate the new glossy screens that do nothing but act as a mirror .So I was stuck with Dell,as you still order the things you want .
 I would go with the Acer n/p ,as all laptops have the glossy screen now other than Dell

Thanks, the reviews seem to be positive overall, and I was worried because, as you say, they did seem to have issues for a while.  :)

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 03:29:57 PM »

Thanks, the reviews seem to be positive overall, and I was worried because, as you say, they did seem to have issues for a while.  :)

You know as small as it is it runs XP and it has a card reader . She will learn how to get her own Jpegs on the comp if she had a dig cam . I think it looks pretty smart ,no work horse ,but hey the childs 9 . I would be doing the same this day and age so the kids are comfortable with computer . The next generation of adults are going to have to be very computer savy I suspect
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 03:34:02 PM by RainMan »

Offline milly

• Adv. Member
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 11:04:20 PM »
One of our sales ladies got an Acer mini laptop. My manager helped her hook it up to the dealers network. He said the screen and keyboard were way too small for an average man to use comfortibly. The model she got doesn't have a floppy or cd/dvd drive. Any content has to come off the internet. He wasn't to aweful impressed with it, for adults anyway.
John
1981 Trans Am
1996 Firebird

Central Illinois Firebirds
Ohio Firebirds

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 09:15:33 AM »
Well, you could always get an external drive. But then of course you've got most to carry around.
Larry

Offline pat

• Adv. Member
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 09:19:34 AM »
if it has a usb port a flash drive works great
speed kills drive a ford and live forever

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 03:24:04 PM »
most I have seen do have USB Ports. They may serve some people well but I cant really see any use for me... Im constantly backing up data so media drives is a gotta have.
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 03:42:08 PM »
most I have seen do have USB Ports. They may serve some people well but I cant really see any use for me... Im constantly backing up data so media drives is a gotta have.

What about a large capacity flash drive like Pat suggests? They can hold more than a CD or DVD ROM. Or an external hard drive like I use for my PC?
Larry

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 04:26:05 PM »
At Home.. I could see this as a travel PC that I could possibly use for home videos or pictures to transfer but I see these units set for the student more than I do anything else. to dictate notes during a lecture  or something to that sort... very nice concept but not truely practical. You could use a thumbdrive to stor some data but say if you wanted to permanantly keep it I would trust a disk in a jewel case much more than a thumbdrive.
  It reminds me of the WEBTV craz about 10 years ago
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 04:43:08 PM by rarebird »
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A