Author Topic: Winnie gets her 8 Track!! (Y88 TA)  (Read 4754 times)

Offline snap_point

Winnie gets her 8 Track!! (Y88 TA)
« on: July 26, 2010, 06:35:07 AM »
DAY 1.

Hey all,
Some might call me crazy, but on the weekend under the leadership of Mal and supervision of Kaz, we tackled the task of refitting my Y88 (Winnie) with an original 8 track radio from the CD unit she had in.

The previous owner some where along the line fitted her with a CD player and amp, all was working fine but the 8 track will finish this car off.
First step remove the glove box and AC / Heater ducting to get the CD player out and re wire the plugs for the 8 track.

Thumbs up all done well done Mal.

Next step while I removed the dash bezel with the help of Kaz, Mal attacked the wiring in the boot (trunk), removing the amp and leads. Also re wiring the rear speakers to support the new 8 track as the rear speakers were wired up 21st century style.  ;D

We had to remove the dash bezel and the fuel / amp gauges to access the rear support bracket top mounting point of the 8 track player.

Now all was ready to begin the install of the radio, we had to fit the support bracket for the rear of the radio. I was fortunate to pick up a spare bracket from a local auto shop, its made of light weight metal around 8" long (Gold in colour).
First we attached it to the mounting point at the top of the under dash and then bent a dog leg in it to suit lining up with the nut and bolt at the rear of the radio. It was a little tricky to get to but we got there in the end.

Pointing to the bracket (its hard to see in this photo.)

Then to hook it all and test the radio to make sure it all works!

IT ALIVE ALIVVVVVVE  :)

Last thing to do that afternoon was to mix up some JB Weld and coat the surface of the plastic tabs that were left were the old radio was and affix the new 8 track radio face plate.

Left it to set overnight and finish the install in the morning.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 12:07:16 AM by snap_point »
Andrew

**1978 Y88 Trans Am WS6**
**1966 GTO Tri Power 4 Speed**

Offline snap_point

Re: Winnie gets her 8 Track!!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 07:01:41 AM »
DAY 2

Started off the day with a wake up call from Mr. Morning (Mal) Geeh cant a guy sleep in on a Sunday!!!  ::)

With the JB Weld having set over night the face plate was securely in place and ready to install the 8 track radio.
With a bit of wiggling and a few goes we had the radio in place.

Thumbs up for a job well done!

With Kaz deciding it was about time she got her hands dirty she promptly set about re fitting the ash tray!!!  ;)

Time to get the re assembly into full swing, re fitting the Fuel / amp gauges and dash bezel

No damage to the dash bezel, what a relief.
Next to get the AC / Heater ducts back in.

With all the ducts back in and the glove box and covers back on it was job complete!

With the knobs ordered from NPD being faulty, I will have to try get the correct ones again from them, for now the Camaro ones will have to do.
A BIG Thanks to Mal and Kaz, couldn't have done this with out you guys and your help.

All was good with the radio and 8 track all functioning and operating as they should until we played an 8 track then ejected it and then the tuning would not move. The pre set radio stations all work and move the needle but when you turn the tuning knob nothing happens. Does any one know why this is? Im thinking it has something to do with the 8 track system cutting off the tuning and then not re engaging it when its been ejected...

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 07:09:18 AM by snap_point »
Andrew

Offline ZachAttack77TA

• If it's not fast, it's not fun!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 03:24:47 PM »
Man, that looks great! Thanks for documenting it so well, too. Bet it sounds awesome.
1997 Grand Am
1995 Trans Am
1977 Trans Am

Offline AussieTATA

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 07:59:31 PM »
Good work guys, came up a treat!!  8)
Few scarey looking people though!!  :P
Mals plumbers crack!  :o And way to many thumbs Ups!! Lol.

Now Andrew you have to get some AC/DC 8 Tracks!!
Will look into your problem Andrew, sounds strange that when you eject the tape, you cant use the tuning knob.
Jeff
1979 10th Anniversary TATA
1978 Holden Sandman Van (sold)
2005 Holden Commodore SS
Trans am Oz is looking after my 78SE
Snap Point stole my Y88
Looking for a 70 GTO Judge 4Speed

Offline snap_point

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 09:05:42 PM »

Mals plumbers crack!  :o And way to many thumbs Ups!! Lol.

Now Andrew you have to get some AC/DC 8 Tracks!!

You didnt have to work with it all day!  ;D

For sure mate, winnies about to get Thunderstruck!!  >:D
Andrew

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
Re: Winnie gets her 8 Track!! (Y88 TA)
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 09:52:21 PM »
Nice ...  AC|DC eight tracks sound about right for the car.    Great job...
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 10:27:05 PM »
nice work!!!

what a PITA to swap eh?
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline snap_point

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 11:14:30 PM »
nice work!!!

what a PITA to swap eh?

Nah not really, considering that I had to repair the heater core when I got her home! This was easy....... and having Mal and Kaz there to help made it all that much easier as they have done this swap on their BB.
The biggest time waster on a project like this is waiting for the face plate to adhere to the console.
The biggest pain is fixing other people shortcuts that you stumble across.
Andrew

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 11:59:42 PM »
The Angels and a little Rose Tattoo would sound good to mate.  Looks right nice.
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline Trans am Oz

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 02:51:23 AM »
no worries Andrew glad to be of service  ;D
the only complaint of got is it wasnt me showing the plumber crack,every time Andrew bent over it was gorillas in the mist :P ;D

Yo Jeff..we did have an Aerosmith 8 track to use to test it but he really needs your help on starting his 8 track collection cos i thought i heard him say he was after Nana Mouskouri :o
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:59:30 AM by Trans am Oz »

Offline AussieTATA

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 03:30:17 AM »
no worries Andrew glad to be of service  ;D
the only complaint of got is it wasnt me showing the plumber crack,every time Andrew bent over it was gorillas in the mist :P ;D

Yo Jeff..we did have an Aerosmith 8 track to use to test it but he really needs your help on starting his 8 track collection cos i thought i heard him say he was after Nana Mouskouri :o

PMSL!  ;D
Jeff
1979 10th Anniversary TATA
1978 Holden Sandman Van (sold)
2005 Holden Commodore SS
Trans am Oz is looking after my 78SE
Snap Point stole my Y88
Looking for a 70 GTO Judge 4Speed

Offline snap_point

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 05:11:13 AM »

Every heard of the pot and the kettle Mal???  ;D

Nana Mouskouri is Mal's favourite..... he didn't want to bring it over in case it got damaged on the way! :P
Andrew

Offline snap_point

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 07:17:34 AM »
Ok, well finally had a free day to do some jobs on Winnie, one of these was to fix the 8 track radio that was installed a couple of months ago.
The tuning knob was not turning the stations when turned. After a helpful email from the seller off ebay he told me there is an adjusting screw on the right hand side of the unit that sometime cose loose after time.

Pictured in the bottom right corner with the nut around it.

So I had to remove the air duct in the passenger foot as well the glove box to gain access to this, its a little tricky to get to but I managed to get a small washer into the slot of the screw and turn it anti clockwise to back it off then clockwise to adjust it to the pick up point. Low and behold I can now tune the radio stations!!! YAY  ;D

After re fitting the air duct and glove box, and the return of Mal and Kaz from the US with a special delivery for me, I fitted the correct radio knobs and she's good as new.

Now to get a few tapes and Im all done!  8)
Andrew

Offline Trans am Oz

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 07:45:47 AM »
Took you a while but you finally finished it..well done Andrew  ;D
Was wondering if we would ever see the new knobs installed...especially since we went all the why to the US just to get your parts ::) :P
Forgot to ask..have you replaced the rear speakers yet?

Offline snap_point

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 07:57:01 AM »
Forgot to ask..have you replaced the rear speakers yet?

Um...... yeah on that one, Im taking it one job at a time and I did 2 jobs on Winnie today!  ;D

Thats the next job in line for her.
Andrew