Author Topic: yet another question about snowflake's  (Read 1563 times)

Offline redguy

yet another question about snowflake's
« on: March 27, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
hi guys ,this question is for brett or anyone experienced with snowflake restoration. i just finished doing the metal finishing part of restoreing my 15 x 8 snowflakes , now im ready for the paint. not really sure to use enamel or lacquer. and i think i read before that brett doesnt clear his rims unless requested , but i think im gonna clear mine just because it going to be an everyday driver. so what type of clear should i use?  any help would be aprisheated. thanks

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
Re: yet another question about snowflake's
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 07:54:36 AM »
I'm not Brett but...If I were to clear a set of rims here's what I would do:

1. Use same type of clear (ie. enamel clear over enamel paint or lacquer clear over lacquer paint)
2. Put some flex additive in the clear - to give the clear a little bit of give when it comes to stone chips

What I will be doing with my set of rims is either sending them off to Pete at Fbodywarehouse OR having my local Keystone do them. In either case I will request clear powdercoat on top of them as I don't want the maintenance headache of keeping the aluminum looking bright.

If I might ask - why are you thinking lacquer? It's old paint technology. Since about the early-mid 80's everything has been changing over to enamels or acrylic enamels (or now water based enamels due to EPA concerns).

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline redguy

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 05:37:16 PM »
thanks for the info brian. as for the paint question,i asked that because i know nothing about paint . only thing ive ever painted is the walls  in my house :P  yeah , i didnt know that laquer's are pretty much outdated. thanks again

Offline Sir english firebird

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member. proud to be
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 07:10:08 PM »
True they are outdated (laquers ) but i can still buy it here in the Uk.

To be honest theres no reason why you couldnt get a good finish with an aerosol of clear.
Power is nothing without Control.

Steve, :-)
1979 Trans am.

( no point in adding what else i keep changing them ! )