Author Topic: Wheel Cleaner Product Suggestions?  (Read 825 times)

Offline w72transamowner

• Tidewater Trans Am Club (www.ttac.net)
Wheel Cleaner Product Suggestions?
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:50:30 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place for this question, and I didn't see anything pop up on a thread search, but was wondering what the preferred product is for cleaning wheels by folks here.  I just haven't really found a product that satisfies me when it comes to cleaning the rims of our daily drivers.  Seems like I've bought almost every spray on product available at most auto parts stores with little satisfaction.  Any suggestions?
1978 Trans Am WS6/W72, Auto (purchased Sep 00)

http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/carfanatic1

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Re: Wheel Cleaner Product Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 09:53:29 PM »
well i do the same thing, ill get whatever is on sale at the time, but i think the best stuff ive ever used was wesleys bleach white, let it soak for a little bit, then go back over it with a little elbow grease then rinse....usually does it.....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Nick623

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:09:58 PM »
I usually use black magic wheel cleaner with a stiff yet soft brush to scuff the dirt off the wheels on the truck, works fine by me, gotta let the wheel cleaner soak for a few minutes though

Offline tazweb

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 09:03:26 AM »
You have to be careful just picking random bottles.  While looking for cleaner for my newly painted wheels, a couple bottles have said not to use on painted/clear coated wheels.  I don't remember what brands, but read the back of the bottle.  I bought Mother's, but haven't used it yet.
Yes, it is a 79 Y84 SE.  It's in disguise as a base T/A.

Offline mauibird

• Ohio Firebirds
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 09:35:02 AM »
To clean the rims, I use Eagle One. I spray it on and then use an cheap paint brush to work the foam/spray in and then rinse. (Do not let it soak like the bottle says).
   --- only clean cold rims, let them cool down if you have driven the car ---------

To clean the tires I use Lestoil and a small brush a little elbow grease to work it in then rinse it off.
2002 Firebird Formula

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 11:32:54 AM »
my question is ... the tires or the rims your inquiring about( if you have the snowflakes)... for the rims i use Neverdull. its a little pricey for what you get but it goes a long way. it comes in a balk can and is full of a cotton material that smells like Kerosine( so use in a ventalated area). it takes some elbow grease but the more you rub the blacker and more dirt it removes. There is also a paste called Wenall that i use once a year to really cut the oxidation on the rims.
  As for the tires I found two products that work to my satisfaction.. BleachWhite and then a lite coat of No Touch(being careful not to get any of either on the rims. Suggest cleaning the tire before the rims to avoid overspray of the tire cleaner.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:56:05 AM by Rarebird »
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline w72transamowner

• Tidewater Trans Am Club (www.ttac.net)
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 01:53:25 PM »
The rims Virgil, not the tires, and I'm more concerned right now with the wheels on the daily drivers......the T/A rims will need to be restored but that's way down the road when the rest of the car issues are worked.

Thank you for the hint on the never dull though, might have to look into that.

1978 Trans Am WS6/W72, Auto (purchased Sep 00)

http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/carfanatic1

Offline mauibird

• Ohio Firebirds
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 02:05:20 PM »
You can also use "Simple Green" then brush it in the dirt on the rim then rinse off with water 

Make sure the rim is cold
2002 Firebird Formula

Offline bhooray

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 10:49:04 AM »
For the TATA turbo rims I found that Wesley's BleachWhite will cut right throught the dirt/grime.  Its works great for the slots.  I just rinse and wipe down thoroughly, I'm pretty sure it's not made for rims but I haven't seen a bad reaction from it.