Author Topic: HELP!!!  (Read 709 times)

Offline transman

HELP!!!
« on: April 23, 2010, 09:31:57 PM »
listen, im an idiot that owns a 1987 pontiac trans am gta and then installed a stereo with a bolt connecting to the battery as long as ever. this bolt touched my wall of the car and practically fried allot of it. i replaced the fuses that popped but my transmission is now acting strange. it doesnt drive in d, because it holds the gear and then just revs, but in lower gear it drives fine...what should i do!!!

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
Re: HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 09:54:55 PM »
Generally speaking, this is a 2nd gen forum, but either way, I'm sure someone can help you with your problem. Electrically, what about the neutral safety switch? Would that somehow make the transmission act funny? Maybe you fried that? Find a schematic, and try to see what's in the line behind the battery that could influence the transmission. Also check out 3rdgen.com I think they have a lot of information that could help.
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 11:27:29 PM »
Welcome to 78TA!  We have some members here who have the 3rd generation Firebirds, but as mentioned most of us have second generation (1970 - 1981) cars.

Well, let's start with the basics.

Are you sure you've replaced all the fuses that were popped?  You need to check them with a meter for continuity, really, because they can and do fail in ways not visible to the naked eye sometimes.

Keeping in mind that this is a computer-controlled car, have you tried just disconnecting the battery and letting it set for a while?  With electronic systems this is sometimes needed to get them to reset properly.  It's like having to reboot your computer or your modem.  In order to make sure leave the battery disconnected for a little while -- 5-10 minutes should do it.  You can check all the fuses with meter while you're waiting.

If those two suggestions don't get it, then it's probably time to see what codes the computer is throwing.  Those would probably narrow it right down for you.  I'm not up on later model GM controls or the error codes so you'll have to find somebody with more knowledge about that than I.

Offline 79ban1

• Bandit X
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 11:41:12 PM »
First thing is the service engine light on? or it may say check engine if it is then you need to pull the codes and see what they are. double check all the fuses in the panel you can do this with a test light also check to see if there is a relay panel under the hood sometimes they have master fuses under there. Are there any melted wires any where under the hood?