Author Topic: Why should I not buy this car? Experts pick it apart!! 76 50th Anny.  (Read 5353 times)

Offline shank0668

Re: Why should I not buy this car? Experts pick it apart!! 76 50th Anny.
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
Looks nice, good luck

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 10:52:02 PM »
I would only spend around 9-10 on the purchase of the car. for 1500 more you can get so much more of a reconditioned t/a than that with alot more that is correct.  but if its what you really want....value is in the eyes of the guy who holds the cash. not the owner trying to sell it.

Rick,
You sound wise beyond your years.  Can you comment on what you see that is not correct on this vehicle?  I do not have the experience with this car.  Any help in this area is appreciated.

Stan
76 White w blue int. 400 4sp. "Toastee"

76 white with blue/white interior. 400 4 sp.(ongoing project)

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 11:06:25 PM »
Stan, If the car just made a 900 mile trip and is roadworthy (for 13.5 lets hope you can at least limp it home) maybe a meet and greet 1/2 way would be something the seller would agree to. I mean you really dont wanna buy this thing without going over it with a fine tooth comb at that price. Take a rider along with you in case it's a sale. Meet at an airport that offers one way rentals back to his home town. One way rentals are cheap usually and it's a weekend adventure. Kind of like a mini vacation. Let your rider drive your car back and you drive the TA back. Have some tools with ya in case of trouble. If you don't like the car...cover his gas home and be glad you didn't spend 13.5K on a POS.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 11:27:17 PM »
stan, for 13.5 i wouldnt expect perfection. However, I would expect atleast the right decales and maybe a slight engine bay detailing.  this car is tricky to put a value on because of what it is. people like hammer could chime in alot more than i can on value. do i think the car is worth 10? sure. not much more though. if your not capable if some of the things it needs, then you will have to pay out to have it fixed, unless you would take it as it is and just enjoy it for what it is. things to be considered. the small things add up fast. for example new power window covers for the door panels arent cheap. same with the shift bezel. you can easily wrap up 4 grand on an interior. what if the paints really not as it appears in the pictures? it may need not only a decale kit but possibly a repaint too. how are the weather strippings and window sweeps? whats the underside like? how much has really been gone through? it looks like a car that was repainted and decaled with the cheap non preformed kit....when it comes to doing these cars, when you save $50 here and $100 there in the end it shows but it also draws another question as to what corners have been cut on the car in other unseen places? dont get me wrong, it appears to be a nice "driver" quality car. but show ......local will do but the nats it will get picked apart like yesterdays toilet paper. but for 10grand i would buy it. 12 if you really really want it. if your handy 2-3 grand and some elbo grease it could be a really really really nice looking car.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline transam dave

• Adv. Member
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 12:31:30 AM »
I would wait to see what mike has to say.I also think you will be better off to test drive it your self to see if is wourth your coin. I love the 76 50th ann, trans am wish i found one in good condition myself.  I hope this helps trans am dave florida trans am's.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 11:34:12 AM »
From what I can see there's only nit picky stuff wrong.  And, those things aren't the big money drain.  Make sure it's really rust free.  All the body lines are correct and the car hasn't been in an accident.  Finally, make sure it's mechanically sound.

The way I look at this stuff is that as long as the body is straight and rust free, all the mechanical stuff can be fixed.  I am always willing to pay a premium for a rust free car.  If you quibble over a few thousand dollars you could lose the car.  It all depends on how bad you want it and what you're going to do with it.  If you're going to keep it forever (that's what I do), then paying a little more is worth it for the right car.

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 12:26:06 PM »
Thanks for posting everyone!  Everybody has valid points.  I am extremely bothered by purchasing this car, or any other car sight unseen.  If I go by what the owner says this is a rust free straight car.  I, as well as many of you, have been burned before when buying "sight unseen".  This is a type of purchase that I just can't return if the owner misrepresents it.
I can't look at it either. Its just too far away from me.  My only recourse (at this time) to see it is drive out & take my trailer and make a decision. With current conditions (winter) this means a 5 day trek. My greenhouses can't stand to be unattended for that long. In the wintertime I am the ONLY employee.  If I loose heat or electric, well you can imagine the outcome.  It won't be a pretty sight.
I threw out a number of 12K including shipping.  He did not think that this was possible, although he was going to think on it & get back to me.  I was budgeting 1K for shipping.  After research looks like that MAY be around 700 or so.   
When the reality of all the logistics are factored in, I may have to pass this TA up.  After I make this decision (probably today) maybe I can get some sleep!  LOL

Again a big hearty thanks goes out to all who have responded.  Some great points were made.  My hats off to the 78ta community.  Your a fine group of individuals.

Stan
WV

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 07:12:42 PM »
stan were only here to help. if your happy, were happy for you.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 12:13:33 PM »
So, did you make your decision Stan?
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 01:21:32 PM »
Personally I wouldn't trust driving the car back, I'd trailer it. Too many unknowns for that length of trip to be stranded in the middle of winter. I'd take a truck and trailer for my own piece of mind.

To me, the rental price of a trailer (and extra toll fees) are well worth the extra money spent not having to diagnose a problem (or problems) on the way home.

Other than that, the car looks decent to me for the price being asked as long as it isn't a major bondo bucket. That would be my biggest concern.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 01:23:46 PM »
So, did you make your decision Stan?

I passed on it.

Mainly because I could not see the car in person.  Rough weather coupled by 900+  miles, and some opinions from this forum helped me make the decision.  

My quest continues...

Thanks to all who chimed in.

Stay warm,

Stan

Offline shank0668

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 07:42:32 PM »
http://medford.craigslist.org/pts/2150326390.html
Try this, all of them.

Shank bro...

Thanks for the link.  Too far away.  Lets get something on the right (Atlantic) side of the country!

Regards,

Stan

Offline Gudfinnur

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 08:05:10 PM »
Hi
My dream came true last october when I got my T/A 77 , dont know if I payed to much or what but I just fell in love. There are few things I had to fix but Im very happy!

Good luck ;)

Gudfinnur

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 02:20:09 AM »
could you find anyone close enough to look at it for you...thats the ticket.  hate to see you miss it
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff