Author Topic: '77 Y82 SE Restoration Project  (Read 3305 times)

Offline GreggPDX

'77 Y82 SE Restoration Project
« on: February 16, 2008, 11:05:34 PM »
Hello All,

I recently purchased a '77 Y82 SE, and I'm starting on the restoration.  I am new to the forum, and this is my first T/A.  The car is a Y82 (Hurst T-Tops), with Firethorn interior.  It's a 403, with automatic transmission, and an interesting option mix, with AM/FM Stereo, 8 track, but no A/C.  The car came with all the original paperwork, including build sheet, various owners manuals and pamphlets, and original invoice.  It still has the space-saver spare (used) and the T-Top bag.

I am the third owner, and I know most of the general history of the car.  It spent most of it's life in Idaho with the original owner.  A gentleman from Oregon purchased the car last Summer and brought it to Portland.  For unspecified personal reasons, he had to sell the car, so I bought it from him.  The car is very unmolested original, although it's been somewhat neglected.  It clearly spent most of it's life outside, as the paint is severely oxidized.  It does not show any signs of major accident damage, but it has a lot of "wear and tear" - door dings, scratches and generally worn out exterior.

The interior is a mixed bag.  The headliner is gone, and the front seats are torn up.  The door panels are a bit torn, and the carpet is pretty dirty.  The dash is actually quite good, and the rear seats aren't too bad.  All the trim pieces are there, but they range from decent to garbage.

Mechanically the car seems good.  It starts and runs smooth, and passed emissions testing with flying colors!  It drives very nice, with no funny noises or handling issues.  It shows 71K on the odometer, and the previous owner claims it is correct.  From the way the car runs and drives, I believe it.

There are some rust issues, but compared to some of the cars I've seen on line, they are pretty minor.  Definitely had leaking t-tops, and the drivers front floorpan has a hole to prove it.  No other rust-through in the pan, but definitely some other surface rust, some of which may be bad enough to justify patching.  The bottom of the rear quarters are showing some rust through, but seems to be limited to just the bottom.  The fenders look good, although there my be some pin-holes in the bottom of the passenger side.  Trunk floor looks good, and I have not found any other areas of concern.

My first project will be the rust repair, starting with the floor pans.  I have a MIG setup, and I've done some sheetmetal work in the past, but I don't consider myself an expert by any stretch.  I'll be doing as much of the work myself as I can.  I have attached a few pics below, but I have a web site with many more.  I'll continue to post my progress here, but I am not planning on doing a lot until the weather improves.  My goal is to have the rust repaired, and the car painted by the end of Summer (2008...).

Gregg

http://wiki.stults.com/tiki-browse_gallery.php?galleryId=13

[attachment removed by admin over 60 days old]

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: '77 Y82 SE Restoration Project
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 11:46:34 PM »
Welcome to 78TA.com, Gregg!  It looks like you've got a very nice project car, and the stuff that needs fixing really isn't that hard to deal with.  Thanks for posing pics and the link to more, and we look forward to hearing about your progress!  Keep us updated! :) :)

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 12:11:42 AM »
Welcome Gregg....looks like a good project  8)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline LTD

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 05:15:17 PM »
Welcome to 78ta.com!  Beautiful car!  Can't wait to see it finished!!! ;)

Offline Solar78

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 05:52:13 PM »
Welcome...

YA DONE WITH THE CAR YET? hahaha

Keep the pic's coming!!! She looks like a great car....love the color combo.

Good luck.
"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"

Offline pointman

• Ohio Firebirds Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 06:31:35 PM »
Welcome Gregg, you've got a nice car there, it's a fun process to restore these cars. It'll be fun to drive, that's for sure. Enjoy!
Gerrit VK

78 Gold SE Y88 400 auto
79 Black 403 auto
86 Fiero SE V6
07 H3 Hummer
04 GMC Safari

Offline JacksTA

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 05:45:53 PM »
Welcome Gregg. Looks like you'll be having some fun. Great find of a SE. I just did my floorpan and it wasn't bad. Check out the pics. Good luck.
Jack

"so wadda ya say, is it the new blues mobile or what?...fix the cigarette lighter"

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x267/jacksz28_photbucket/78%20Trans%20Am/

Offline GreggPDX

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »
Hi Jack,

Your car looks great, I like that silver/red combo.  Where did you get the replacement floorpans?  The look really good.

Gregg

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 10:04:05 PM »
Nice job on the pans (you might wanna' update the link in your sig though...it goes to an empty Z28 album  ;) )

You can order the pans through just about any of the catalog guys Gregg  ;)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette