Author Topic: Stripes and decals  (Read 3849 times)

Offline M. Dan Schalk

Stripes and decals
« on: April 03, 2006, 08:01:50 PM »
Hi Gang,
Well the car will be ready for decals and stripes on Friday (4/7). I have a couple of questions since I will be there to supervise. What is the solution, used for the application and what is the ratio? Where would I find a diagram for locations for the decals? I found one on Hitman’s page that gives the distances for decals from the bodylines but what about the stripes? And what is the spacing for the stripes that run parallel down the center of the top and the trunk lid? How much space between them? Are any stripes overlapped or do they butt together? Do the stripes roll over the bodylines or are they trimmed flush? Etc.etc...
The body shop may have their idea on how to do this but I thought that as long as I'm there for a third hand and to take some pictures, I might as well know the correct way to do this. Now is not the time to be guessing. I'm looking for any and all input.

Thanks
Dan

"Don't Look At Me In That Tone of Voice"

Offline 79 trans am se

Stripes and Decals
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 02:47:55 PM »
Dan i just replaced all the stripes and decals on my 79 SE,the kit that i bought came with all the measurements and locations so i am not sure,where did you buy the kit they should be able to supply the measurments i would think.

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
Stripes and decals
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 09:05:49 PM »
The decal companies gives you placement for the stripes, but not the measurements.  The stripes down the center of the car should be 1 1/2 inches apart.  That is the same on the hood, the roof, and the trunk, all the way down the center of the car.  As far as all of the rest of the stripes, they should be 1/4 of an inch away from the edge of the body line that you are following.  The stripes in the kit overlap, but I would recommend overlapping them, and then going back with a razor blade and trimming them back to butt them against each other.  It takes alot of time to stripe the car.  The last 79 SE that I did took me about 6 hours for just the stripes.  It is a tedious process.  As far as the solution to apply the stripes, I just use it for the hood bird, all of the rest of them, I put on dry..... of course, I have striped about 40 cars so I guess I have a little bit of experience doing that.  The stripes will also roll over the body lines.  If you trim them to the edge, they have a better chance of starting to peel off when you are washing and waxing the car.  Hope this helps..... wnat me to fly down and be a fourth hand?
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline M. Dan Schalk

Stripes and decals
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 10:08:51 PM »
Thanks for your replies. This helps a ton. I honestly haven't looked  for the instructions in the kit which I purchased from Year One. It is probably there. Brett, Id be more than happy to have you here for this project. I know that your not serious but thanks for the offer and help. I'll be documenting all of this and I'll update with some pictures.
Thanks
Dan

Offline Maryland Bandit

Stripes and decals
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 10:10:34 PM »
Inch and a half apart on an S/E.....HMMMMMM
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am # 592
1979 Y84 S/E - sold

Offline M. Dan Schalk

Stripes and decals
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 01:12:56 PM »
Well....I took the day off and got to the body shop about 8:30 on Friday of last week. They weren't ready for me at all. The car wasn't completely cut and buffed and the shop was a mess. They told me that they would be ready about noon. I left and didn't go back that day.
On Monday I talked with the body shop owner and told him to get the car ready as is with no decals and that I will pick up the car on Friday 4/14. He couldn't understand why there was a problem and why I didn’t come back that after noon on Friday. As I explained to him I had taken the day off of work to do nothing but help the shop with all the decaling and striping and they were not ready for me. He asked about the decals and I told him that I had made other arrangements. He was not happy nor was I. They have had the car since March 23 '05.
Friday I picked up the car and it looked terrific. It was raining but I walked around it 4 or 5 times to check it all out.  He wanted to add another grand to the price for all the “extras” they had done and I said no way. I had already paid for a lot of his outside work did a lot of sanding and cleaning of some parts, but we negotiated on a fair price. We talked about the conversation we had on Monday and he did not want to end it with hard feelings. I agreed. He asked about decals and I told him that I would find someone to handle that for me. I have found a guy here in the area that does this type of work for a lot of the "high end" shops. Told him my story and he said he would do the job in my garage for $250.00 on a Saturday. Very long story short is the car is home, soon to be decaled after some mechanic work, detailing, interior pieces replaced and we’ll be “East Bound and Down”.
M. Dan Schalk

Offline M. Dan Schalk

Stripes and decals
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 12:16:10 AM »
Hi Gang, Tom from TJ Lines came by to stripe the car and I got to tell ya I was pretty jazzed when we were through. You can look at a lot of pictures but when you are involved in striping your own you don't realize how nice the car looks. It is finished and sitting in the garage waiting to be appraised for insurance. Thanks to the Brett and members of the forum for all the assistance. For a look at the car click on the link for two pages of finished shots. I’ll post some more when the appraisal is done.
Thanks
M. Dan Schalk

http://www.bandittransamclub.com/gallery/Mathias-Daniel-Boone-Schalk

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
Stripes and decals
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 09:28:39 AM »
Looking good....
Brett Campbell