Author Topic: Help removing old gas from fuel system in 81 Turbo Trans Am  (Read 1013 times)

Offline STOTZBOTZ

Help removing old gas from fuel system in 81 Turbo Trans Am
« on: January 25, 2015, 09:48:35 PM »
Hello friends. I recently discovered a very nice 81 Turbo Trans Am that has been in storage for awhile. The previous owner said that it ran about a year ago but it wouldn't run now without starter  fluid being sprayed in the carb. My question is this. I want to remove the old fuel from the tank but I also wanted to know if it's safe to remove the gas tank cap, then disconnect the fuel line from the carb and blow compressed air through the line sending all of the old fuel in the line back into the tank. I then would remove it best I could. I was then going to replace the fuel filter, put fresh gas in and add some sea foam for good measure. Would anyone know if this is safe to do? I was also going to replace the spark plugs as well then keep my fingers crossed that this gets her going again. Any help would be appreciated..

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Help removing old gas from fuel system in 81 Turbo Trans Am
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 07:38:40 PM »
From the fuel pump perhaps, be more direct line to tank, not sure if can blow with pressure the wrong way through pump. It could even be a bad pump as much as stale fuel but youll have to cross them off as you go. Then you can siphon the tank as much as you can if not dropping it down. It will still take some running to get new fuel through and whatever in carb bowl and old lines used up.

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
Re: Help removing old gas from fuel system in 81 Turbo Trans Am
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 07:30:15 PM »
I say do it right, remove the lines before pump, hook up an electric pump, pump out the fuel, add new fuel, reconnect the lines and pump fresh fuel through pump with line disconnected from carb, after carb rebuild the reconnect all and enjoy
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"