Author Topic: BMX Bikes (Mongoose, SkyWay, Haro,ect)  (Read 13804 times)

Offline GT-Performer

• 1979 Y84 301 4_speed (manual)
BMX Bikes (Mongoose, SkyWay, Haro,ect)
« on: February 08, 2012, 03:18:41 AM »
Anybody else collect them or still have there childhood BMX/FREESTYLER??? Post them up!! If anybody shows intrest in this thread, then i will share pics of all mine!

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
Re: BMX Bikes (Mongoose, SkyWay, Haro,ect)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 05:29:26 AM »
I remember when my neighbor got a Diamond Back BMX bike, he was the s#^* lol.....
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 06:14:27 AM »
Man, hard to ever believe my fat arse pedal'd a bicycle! But I did. Started out with Mongoose and then moved up to a Supergoose. Eventually ended up with a...get this...P.K. Ripper! There's some name brands you don't hear these days. LOL

I don't have pics from that time but would like to see the ones you have. Just think...No cell phones, only video game was Atari, No PC's,. How did we ever survive?
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:51:02 AM »
i used to have a dyno vfr wish i never offed with it.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 07:29:32 AM »
Man, hard to ever believe my fat arse pedal'd a bicycle! But I did. Started out with Mongoose and then moved up to a Supergoose. Eventually ended up with a...get this...P.K. Ripper! There's some name brands you don't hear these days. LOL

I don't have pics from that time but would like to see the ones you have. Just think...No cell phones, only video game was Atari, No PC's,. How did we ever survive?
You want a kid now to pedel a bike?  How obsurd!  Seems kids today have no imagination and live in a fantasy world. 
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 12:47:30 AM »
yup, did it for years.... I started with a Dyno, then went to Haro, Hoffman then, some other brands that I am pretty sure most of you havent heard off, FBM, S&M, DK, TerribleOne, and some others... I still have my FBM in the garage, and still think about getting it out from time to time... it was a blast running from cops in the days...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline roadmapdj

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 06:51:07 AM »
JMC, GJS (hand made by older gentleman with custom shop). I picked out everything from spokes to Bullseye hubs. Man those days were fun. Only worries were what are we doing today.

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 12:00:56 PM »
thats all i really did as a kid!  rode the crap out of my bmx bikes.  never officially raced but was faster, could jump higher, & do more tricks than 99% of the kids that did race.  first real bmx bike was a schwinn sting,  then progressed to better bikes, i had at least 3 or 4 hutch's, a GT world tour (first real freestyle/bmx) bikes were commonly stolen around here in those days so i went through more than i should have.  best story was when my 1st sting got stolen... a month or so later at the local bike trails a kid shows up  WITH MY BIKE... i didnt really say anything & watched him ride & jump on MY bike... well karma showed up at the perfect time... he was pedaling real hard to get speed for a big jump & the bike frame cracked literally in half!  he ate the dirt right in front of me & had to carry his/my stolen bike home.  it had a small crack near the headset & after some abuse it completely cracked & the handlebars & forks went another direction than him & the rest of the bike,  LOL! 

my friends had pk rippers, se racings (they made pk ripper), JMC, robinson, DG, & powerlights.  BMX was a huge thing in the midwest in the 80's & 90's. we even had indoor racing in the winter!

wish i had pics of my other bikes,  heres a pic of my last sting i held onto untill a few years ago when i sold it on ebay for 2 or 3 times what i paid for it.  the bike & its "speed-rims" were way to small for me to ride anymore.  but i do think about getting a new bmx bike sometimes, i could still do a 180 & bunny hop over 5 gal buckets!   the current redlines & gt's with the box frames are super nice!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 12:05:35 PM by 78w72 »
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline Serpiko

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 01:23:58 PM »
still have my Atala 2 from the 80s, a bit rusted now but I might restore it some day
"Maybe I am a dinosaur, but I am a Tyrannosaurus Rex baby", -Lemmy

Offline folzinal

• -Ryan
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 10:11:32 PM »
We lived on our bikes bitd.  I've had a 'few' and still have a couple.  The one's I've had and wish I kept... 79 Mongoose Supergoos, 83 'Lil Ripper, 85 PK Ripper, 84 GT Pro Performer, 83 Skyway TA and 83 CW Phaze 1.  I actually traded the Phaze 1 frame/fork for the PK and an 82 National Pro Long

I still have a few... 82 Diamondback Silver Streak (bought new in 82), 83 Diamondback Silver Streak, 84 Hutch Pro Raider, 84 Mongoose Expert and the 82 National Pro.  I am currently restoring an 85 Mongoose California as a Cru Jones tribute.  Remember the movie RAD???  Here are the DB 'twins'.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:41:08 PM by folzinal »

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 10:32:52 PM »
^^^Eye Candy for sure.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 11:48:45 AM »
love the z-rims!   i used to have a couple pairs of them,  the graphite ones were the best.  i used to be able to do a 180 & land just right to fold the rims almost in half,  then bounce back up & they would pop right back.  if they got too distorted you could put them in the freezer & they would straighten out!  also had a set of the rare z-mags.... looked like skyway mags but were the graphite material ACS used. 
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 12:14:19 PM »
I still have my old Redline 2 (80's)  and Kastan ('94 ish) w/ JAD 3 pc cranks.  Friends had Robinsons, ELF (that thing was light), S&M, & DK. There was a Dyno in there too.

I was into the racing but wound up doing more dirt. We had a few good trails in the area. Have some good scars on my legs from the fun. I miss those days.

A business associate of mine father started Hutch. He has the first bike made.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 12:16:31 PM by TAKID455 »
2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline iceman

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 08:29:21 PM »
I had one of those Schwinn banana seat bikes with the 5 speed shifter that if you slid forward off the seat(blew a pedal) it would get ya right in the n**s. Then got into BMX. This was '80 or so. First bike was a Torker with Torker forks and a lay back seat post. Upgraded as I could afford to. I mowed lawns for $ back then. I was 12 or 13 I think. Mowed alot of lawns and saved like crazy to get my dream bike... A GT With GT forks, GT lay back seat, Skyway black Graphite wheels, gumwall tires, a Skyway platic seat, titanium pedals, Redline flight cranks(the ultimate cranks ever). I think even the handlebars were GT's too. Loved that bike. Rode it everywhere and never let it outta my sight. For two spring breaks, the bike was taken apart and packed for Florida when we flew down. Did this twice, First time was a blast and did some racing that year and wasn't very fast yet sure looked good. The second year I discovered........................................... girls ... I miss that bike... Mike
Check out my facebook page: River City Muscle LLC
1969 Pontiac GTO
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport Convertible
1977 Pontiac Trans Am

Offline Ayers1981

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 09:24:18 AM »
I've got two Early 90's BMX bikes. Ones a Redline 340 the other is a Diamond Back not sure what model. I gave $60 for the D/B at a pawn shop. The guy bought it because someone had put Redline John Purse Signature series decals on it.
Took me two weeks to prove to him it wasn't a Redline. I'll put some pictures up.