Author Topic: Van Halen tickets for 2012 tour  (Read 17843 times)

Offline RRR76TA

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
Re: Van Halen tickets for 2012 tour
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2012, 08:33:29 AM »
From that pic of Eddie it doesn't look like he could carry a tune let alone his a##

Offline shakerz

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2012, 09:15:37 AM »
Breaker, I can dig on what you're sayin...a little. Realize I'm not commenting on character here, just entertainment value -that's what the ticket buyer/cd buyer is payin for. If they want integrity, they will buy Pat Boone tickets I assume. Ozzy may care about his bandmates (which some have disputed in the past) but he didn't care much for Sharon when he tried to strangle her in an alcohol fueled rage to the point of her narrowly escaping with her mortality before help arrived.  And dont kid yourself for one second that the lion hair, and suits, and stunts, and in-your-face personality sold countless tickets. Who's gonna pay to see a guy lookin like Larry the Cable Guy front a band? I stand by the qualification of Roth being the greatest metal band frontman of my time till someone names a better one. Ozzy? C'mon! Also won't mention Eddie's ego or chemical abuse of which the ego is obviously blinding him from including Anthony in the lineup. 

edit: Ozzy's not technically better then Dio (his replacement) but neither sold out stadiums like VH did. I'm just sayin bro, give credit where credit's due.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 09:36:13 AM by shakerz »

Offline Squirrel

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Dan
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2012, 09:51:22 AM »
DLR may be the most overrated singer/front man in rock.  he needed the tights and antics to make up for his short comings.  i would assume if the van hagar music sucked record sales would have been crap like the  extreme replacement singer.  i bet if sammy sung on those older songs they would have been better.
1978 Chesterfield Brown TA
1977 Camaro 4 speed with t tops
1977 Mustang Cobra II

Offline rpguitarrepair

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2012, 09:51:47 AM »
That's a awful half naked girl.  Don't like girls that can beat me up

The other rebuttals made me think, but this one made me laugh, so its my favorite, lol.

This has been my favorite thread on 78ta. I love talking with you guys and bouncing ideas about this topic. Here's more for your thoughtful consideration:

It's true DLR is one of the best frontmen in history. If you don't believe it just ask him.  ;D Seriously, an arrogant frontman and a killer guitarist has always been the essential ingredients for the top-tier rock bands. In their day, neither Eddie or DLR really had an equal for those attributes.

ShakerBreaker, you are dead on about fan and band-mate appreciation, IMO. It seems the more insecure people are, the more they diminish the efforts of those around them, but the more outlandish they behave. You even see it in the workplace. As another band example, look how Gene Simmons has attempted to write Ace Frehley out of KISStory, but yet what a tremendous stage presence/ego Gene has. When DLR and Hagar toured together, they agreed to take turns opening/ closing. By the time the thing imploded, DLR was pretending his bus was broken to miss the gig, and then he'd show after Hagar went on. DLR is way more insecure and punitive than people give him credit for. Fans get enough of that kind of thing after a while, well, some do. And it didn't take DLR long to realize that Eddie was more than just a hot guitar player. The guy actually wrote many ALBUMS "slap-full" (as we say in the south) of killer songs. Steve Vai is a wizard, but not a lot of memorable songs. Heck, Steve Vai is a jackass, and even he can't stand DLR  :D

Yeah Shakerz, as a musician, I tend to analyze the parts that make up the whole, and was attempting to be more "Spock-like" in my assessment since I have an emotional attachment, as Eddie is a staple of my guitar experience. I wanted to point out the differences from a technical viewpoint to offer some reasons why some folks may sway to DLR a little more, and why the music sounded a bit heavier. Good job in pointing out that most of the best Montrose songs (and heavier) were actually written by Hagar, and he was a younger Hagar...

To expound on that point, we tend to forget that 23 year-olds write heavier and edgier music than 30 year-olds. There was a lot of attitude in the early VH writing, but they were young. Compare "Jump" on 1984 to "Tora Tora/ Loss of Control" on Women and Children First. I prefer to think of DLR in the picture Burd posted, rather than him spinning on one foot with multi-colored scarves in slo-mo in the "Jump" video. It only took him 7 years or so to go from uber-cool to super-silly. People mellow with age, just a fact of life. It was kind of like Hetfield of Metallica said, "we realized one day that we were rich and we had nothing to be pissed about anymore"... By the time Hagar joined VH, he was already making more money than they were, so there wasn't much to be angry about anymore, well until Ed became a crackhead.

Another tidbit, is if you compare the guitar tone on the old albums to OU812, the guitar tone is way heavier later, the songs are just a little more campy due to the style change with Hagar. The guitar tone itself (OU812 for example) sounds more like Anthrax than early VH, but the hooks and melodies were still a bit "poppy", especially for long-time listeners (I didn't like but a couple songs on this album). By this time Eddie had gone exclusively to the 5150 amp line, which is more aggressive than the old Marshall (with a tired output transformer) he used for so long (which should be in the Smithsonian IMO). A good song that has both the post-DLR heavy guitar tone AND DLR is the song "Me Wise Magic" on the compilation record. I wouldn't mind hearing more of that type of stuff.

Another point I should mention, is that with all bands, the lyrical direction of a band gets lost as the world turns. The historical lyrical direction of VH would eventually be dated by the more geo-political lyrics that were introduced by metal and grunge bands. I would hypothesize that it would have happened just as quick if DLR stayed. Maybe we were spared an awkward DLR "trend" album by his departure... It's happened to all of the huge rock bands: KISS, Rush, Def Leppard, Metallica... This may not have been the case, but by the look of the scarves and DLR's truckload of insecurities, I wouldn't put anything past him to try to stay relevant. We were all probably better off with him in Vegas singing lounge tunes.

IMO, Kentuckyeti sums it up best with "Still, the best times and the rocking music came from DLR as the frontman, even though Sammy gave them a Number 1."   As I said, too, the early DLR VH albums are my favorite (listened to Diver Down last night).

I think the reason I have a soft spot for 5150 is because it came out when I was a senior in high school. I actually camped out at Turtle's (remember Turtle's?) to get a copy. It was the best-mixed VH album from a sonic standpoint, and to a young guitar player it was a lot of fun to learn those new riffs, and me and my buddies would compete to see who could learn which songs the fastest. Also, out on the cruise and up to no good in my small-block '66 Chevelle for a couple of years by this time, me and my buddies had played the DLR albums to death. So, with the juvenile behavior maturing to teenage decadence (think Dazed and Confused) in 1988 for my small gang of friends and our girlfriends,  5150 became almost anthemic in a sense to the culmination of high school memories and "coming of age" in my what used to be a small-town in north Georgia.

Offline shakerz

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2012, 10:28:27 AM »
Another worthy morsel of analysis, imo. Roth is insecure like so many other great figures in entertainment. Am I right? I wonder how insecure we are as we sit here in anonymity talking about a guy that achieved fame? I know I have my share of insecurities. The guy (Roth) is an intellectual. His radio shows and interviews cracked me up...he had almost as many one liners as Reagan. Let me paraphrase one: (a guy who is masturbating is only a pervert depending on what he's doing with his other hand).
Journey also sold out stadiums. You know why? Cause they drew the chicks. You wanna know where the guys go? They go where the chicks go.
I calmly rest my case this first day of our new year.  ;)

Offline sixgunsblazing

« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2012, 12:14:37 AM »
So who's on bass?  The teenager again- Eddie's son?  I canceled our tickets when they started a reunion tour around 2008? when I found out a 16 year old was playing with VH.  Of course, after about 3 shows, the band imploded again anyway.  DLR was the showman for VH, but seriously Burd- junk?  VH never had a number 1 until Sammy joined.  Hagar has the voice, but David made the shows come alive.

And it's completely opposite now.  Go see a Sammy show sometime, it's a party!

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2012, 08:59:22 AM »
Well, if anyone was on the fence about seeing VH, this should remove all doubt.  Who could miss a double feature concert with an opening by none other than..............................................

Kool & the Gang  ;D ;D ;D  Go on and CELEBRATE good times.  haha

Offline 80indy

• Ohio Firebirds
  • 67 Firebird 400 convert, 89 formula, 02 Fireb conv
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2012, 10:34:07 AM »
Wow, That seems like an odd coupling of bands.
The BIRD is the word.

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2012, 09:09:57 PM »
Gonna be in Detroit on February 20th
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline rpguitarrepair

Offline shakerz

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2012, 10:42:42 PM »
Daves voice has deteriorated. Wont bode well for the live version. The classic VH riffs, chops, and licks are all there. Eddies guitar sounds great! Alex reminds me of Bill Wyman of the stones now...looks like he needs to downscale his once mighty dual base, countless rototom setup to a base, a snare, and a hi hat. If I had Eddies money (or if I was Eddie Money) I'd have a makeover, geeeeesh. Hagar said Anthony gave VH its patented sound w all his back up singing. He'll be missed. Im still gonna see em cause they're my boys. Contributed to a LOT of good times.

Offline sixgunsblazing

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2012, 03:20:02 AM »
Not sure I'm gonna go now that I see the outrageous ticket prices, but you never know.

Gonna have to listen to "tattoo" a bunch more times

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2012, 07:56:09 AM »
I'm just glad to see them back, life is too short. :)
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2012, 09:12:56 AM »
Way to short to hear sammy's high pitched voice anymore.
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline shakerz

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2012, 02:02:46 PM »
Has anyone ever seen the VH cover band, The Atomic Punks? Seen em about 10 yrs ago in one of our city's crappiest clubs. Didnt even know they were gonna be there that night. Freaked me out. Uncanny. This video has Michael playin bass with them. Btw, there is also an AC/DC tribute band whose lead singer sounds just like Bon and Bryan. I think their website comes up first on google search, AC/DC cover or tribute band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eMJ3oNDLjw&feature=related